Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How could this of happened to my paint? All out Detail

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How could this of happened to my paint? All out Detail

Im fairly new to major detailing, but wash my car meitculously several times a month. Recnetly I just put 6 coats of different products on my car.

Washed with Turtle wax Ice soap
Clay Bar First

Products applied by hand.

Turtle - Polishing Compound - think I used whats referred to as a cutter - black sponge like applicator
Meguairs Paint Cleaner - regular white applicator
Meguairs Polish - regular white applicator
Eagle Nano wax - regular white applicator
Meguairs Carnuba - plush yellow applicator
Pinnacle Brazlian Carnuba - plush yellow applicator

I followed the instructions to a T for each of the products, and used new applicators and microfibers to remove the wax. Never put the cloths on the ground or anything.

Can I call meguairs and take the stance that their product failed to work properly? I did everything the container said to do, and got completely opposite results - scratch remover? lol more like scratch adder

In dull lighting the paint looks really good, and when you push a towl across the paint it flies off like butter, it also feels so smooth and soft....but when put in the sun, it looks WORSE than before. Its all marred with scratches and swirls alot worse than before the major detail. I dont understand how this happened. What could of caused this? Is it fixable? If so how?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone is local, and wouldnt mind looking at the car to see how and why this happened, and if it can be fixed please let me know.

Thanks again
Old 03-16-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try just putting nxt tech wax on it. hides scratches and swirls. only thing i use

8 year old paint

Old 03-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanna know why everyone raves about the PC 7424 and machines of the like? Because unlike using a scratch remover by hand, the machine actually works, and does all the hard work for you.

I could never get good results by hand - period.

IMO, this is a case of needing the right tools.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think any single product is going to correct this issue. I need to strip everything off the car and start over....I just need to know where I went wrong.

Just so were clear, the pinnacle brazilian wax was like 25 bucks by itself...I know its top of the line quality....

I will try that nxt tech wax at your suggestion. I just think theres got to be something more than applying another coat....ie theres no way a coat of nxt outdoes the 6 coats of the above products I used.

Thanks. Anymore help would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Wanna know why everyone raves about the PC 7424 and machines of the like? Because unlike using a scratch remover by hand, the machine actually works, and does all the hard work for you.

I could never get good results by hand - period.

IMO, this is a case of needing the right tools.
+1 I could never get the results I wanted by hand. Now, I'm not familiar with Turtle Wax, but if you used a compound, chances are you didn't break it down enough or used too much pressure applying it. You definitely need a buffer now to correct the swirls and scratches effectively. More wax will only hide the problem temporarily.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Meent. People have been saying that for years, and I do agree. However, the by hand method should still "work" but just not be as brilliant as the pc/orbital....and by no means should it ruin the paint by simply applying by hand.....as a matter of fact I would think thered be more of a tendency to **** the paint up in the manner in which I did by using a PC....as its spinning faster and has more user dependency (ie more chance to **** it up)
Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks spudnick. Sounds like Im going to either need to buy a pc.....or most likely pay hundreds of dollars to fix this issue using a professional detailer.

I just dont understand why Meguairs and companies alike even bother putting out products with directions on the back....that just end up ******* your car up worse than before. Im definetly going to give meguairs my two sense....as I followed those damn instructions to a T.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

try getting a orbital and use the rubbing compound with that then, a good sealant on it, then wax

o i forgot to mention i only use a orbital
Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Where do you live?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
I just dont understand why Meguairs and companies alike even bother putting out products with directions on the back....that just end up ******* your car up worse than before. Im definetly going to give meguairs my two sense....as I followed those damn instructions to a T.

Maybe if you weren't familiar with a product you should not have just starting using it. Tons of people on here, including myself use Megs products and have never had a problem like you're describing.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mean I followed the instructions on the back of the bottle word for word....how much more familiar do I have to be? Ive been using detailing products for a decade. Ive never detailed Gm's Cadillac black raven paint which is apparently ridiculously soft...how was I supposed to know that??? If anything meguiars should be required to put a label which says "do not use on softer paints" or something to that degree.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I bet it was the Turtle wax polishing compound. Get some megs Ultimate Compound and a PC from Tropicare along with their swirl cutter. You'll get rid of the compounding swirls.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

The only thing you listed that's a cutting agent is the turtle wax so why do you think it was the Meguiars?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Damn, if you lived near me I would've helped you out but that was a long shot. Maybe post in the regional forums and see if someone with a PC could give you a hand. I know I would help you out without asking for $100's of dollars, maybe someone else will too.

I would guess you need to polish out the swirls you put in. A porter cable an maybe some Menzerna polish with aaaaaa... White/Blue pad combo maybe. I think orange would be too rough for your piant if your clear coat is soft like you said. I'm still kinda confused though.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

well thanks man, seems like the nicer ppl are always so far away

Thanks for the assistance and help guys. I will try and post in the regional section.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
Thanks Meent. People have been saying that for years, and I do agree. However, the by hand method should still "work" but just not be as brilliant as the pc/orbital....and by no means should it ruin the paint by simply applying by hand.....as a matter of fact I would think thered be more of a tendency to **** the paint up in the manner in which I did by using a PC....as its spinning faster and has more user dependency (ie more chance to **** it up)
Trust me man - I went through the EXACT same thing. I took so many different products to my car by hand, and none of them came close to removing any scratches, and many just made the problem worse. The first time I used my PC 7424 with the right pad and Menzerna Intensive polish, I was like The scratches were all gone.

Chances are, there was something wrong with your procedure (since scratches don't appear by themselves), but what? Who knows...regardless, you need to change something.

I wish I still lived in Florida - I'd give it a go with my equipment to see if I could show you that the right tool in this situation means everything - at least in my opinion.

I firmly believe that about the only way a PC 7424 or the like can **** up your paint is if you drop the damn thing on your car - that's about it. I've used it with great success to remove 2000 grit wet sanding marks, and I can assure you that those wouldn't come out by hand.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

OUCH

Do your research. I bet you used a product with to much cut for what you wanted. "Turtle - Polishing Compound" .

Get a chart with how much cut each product you put on your car.

Buy a PC 7424. Find out what pad you need. Find out how much cut you need to fix it up. You will have to start with something that has more cut then work you way to with the right pad and Menzerna Intensive polish.

It will take work but you can fix it.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just not sure what to say. When it comes to doing a full detail on your paint, you need to have a strategy and you first need to analyze the paint and figure out exactly what you need to do before just buying everythingn off a Walmart shelf and hoping for the best.

Chances are, you had some slight swirls in your paint that you left residue from the Turtle wax polish in that you then sealed into the paint with the Mequires stuff.

Typically, when I do my wife's car, which is a black Saab 9-7x, I take care to check out the condition of the paint after each step. If it's not getting better, I don't move on to the next step of polishing till I'm happy with the results. You may be able to hide the swirls with some filler waxes, but you can't get rid of them unless you use a polish with a machine to remove the swirls and imperfections.

Also, post up some pics so we can see what you're talking about.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd be willing to bet that turle product, or one/more of your cloths are the culprit in all of this. All the extra wax did was seal in any scratches that you had to begin with. But I am no detailing expert.

Quick Reply: How could this of happened to my paint? All out Detail