Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Pics of my powder coated caliper/hangers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks real good, nice job.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what kinda gun you using? ive been thinking about giving powdercoating a go for a long while and since my garage is almost done i might actual be able too
Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

This exact one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eastw...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man, thats actually the setup ive been looking at.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dang, you do very good work I really like how the calpir's for the vette came out

Sway
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, welcome to the "hobby" I do this for a living/full time, but I started out just having fun with it, sure can be addicting, eh?

I see a multitude of things in your pics that could be very much improved upon, and easily, let me know if you want any help. Just one simple step or two you are likely missing in your prep and powder application that's causing the caliper to be covered in all those little pinholes,etc in the powder. I can also tell you how to do the raised letters on those vette calipers in powder, rather than have to paint them. Also, you need to lay a coat of clear over those fronts after putting decals on or they will come off, doesn't looks like they are cleared. As far as coating them without takign them apart, I'm not sure on that, I've never tried it..I just totally take them apart and mask the sensitive areas prior to coating.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

you know you want me to drop mine off so you can do them also right?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Sweet, welcome to the "hobby" I do this for a living/full time, but I started out just having fun with it, sure can be addicting, eh?

I see a multitude of things in your pics that could be very much improved upon, and easily, let me know if you want any help. Just one simple step or two you are likely missing in your prep and powder application that's causing the caliper to be covered in all those little pinholes,etc in the powder. I can also tell you how to do the raised letters on those vette calipers in powder, rather than have to paint them. Also, you need to lay a coat of clear over those fronts after putting decals on or they will come off, doesn't looks like they are cleared. As far as coating them without takign them apart, I'm not sure on that, I've never tried it..I just totally take them apart and mask the sensitive areas prior to coating.

Thank you for the advice. You're right, I didn't clear the front calipers when I put the decals on them. I might be able to easily take them back off, and do that. Of course I'll need to clean them up to make sure there is no grease or dirt on them. I was wondering if there was a way to powder coat the lettering on the "corvette" part of the caliper. It would look pretty good if that was done.

I also noticed the small pin holes, and was confused as to why/how they got there. I used a ton of brake clean, and sandblasted them.. I'm sure you know a better way.. and probably easier! lol

Again.. thank you for the advice.. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to out gas them before you spray them. Make sure all the solvents are burned off before you coat them. I usually media blast my parts then scrub them with soap and water. Then I acetone them and out gas the parts in the oven for about 1 hour. I spray the parts cold unless I have trouble getting the powder to stick.

Just my $.02
Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

AND yes SILVERGHOST this hobby is addicting!!! I just spent a **** ton of money buying a new compressor, media blasting booth, and building my own oven and spray booth.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by my01ws6
You need to out gas them before you spray them. Make sure all the solvents are burned off before you coat them. I usually media blast my parts then scrub them with soap and water. Then I acetone them and out gas the parts in the oven for about 1 hour. I spray the parts cold unless I have trouble getting the powder to stick.

Just my $.02
I appreciate the advice. If I ever re-do them.. that's how I'll prep them the next time.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Motorboater

01 is correct. The pinholes are caused by outgassing most likely. There are air pockets created below the surface of the metal during the casting process, which then proceed to pop during the curing of the powder. Put the parts in the oven for 60-90 minutes at 450 degrees. Some folks do this before blasting, some do it after, I usually do it after blasting personally but its just personal preference on that one. Soap and water should be avoided on anything that's not aluminum IMO, then you have flash rust to deal with potentially. I just blast, blow the parts off well, then wipe down with a microfiber lint free cloth with either acetone or denatured alcohol depending on the substrate i'm working with(i've found that different types of parts work best with certain cleaners)

What media are you blasting with, and what PSI? The metal does not look terribly clean under that powder from what I can tell, its still pretty rough.

On raised lettering its just a two step process. First shoot the color you want on the letters, letting it coat whatever it hits, then cure it. After that you lay down your color you want for the caliper, shooting cold of course and get good coverage including all over the letters you just coated. Then just use your finger, a damp painters sponge, damp q-tips, etc whatever works for you to brush the caliper color powder off the raised letters and cure it again..done.

example, these valve covers

similar process can be done with recessed lettering a well, although it is MUCH harder, took me awhile to do these

Old 04-01-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

^ That looks real nice with the lettering a different color.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PC is a fun hobby. After you do it for a while you will learn the tricks and what not to do. Here is what we just picked up on CL for about 1/4 of the cost new. It's only a year old.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Motorboater

Ted's Fab made my oven as well, you'll like it.