Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do you install vent rings? No install doc's

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How do you install vent rings? No install doc's

anyone have any idea how to install the vent rings on the trans am? They didn't come with the install docs when I got them. They are fully rounded (not cupped) so it doesn't look like you can glue them on but I could be wrong.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Robbie, 97ramsst on this. he has a great write up that shows pictures etc. how to install them.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Depend on from whom you received them is it Boyds(his nic on this forum-he is from Spain) cromed metal rings? then you should glue them.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I used a grinder and took a little plastic off to make the rings more flush with the vents.

Be careful not to take off too much though!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Default a video on the rings !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj-I3...eature=related
Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

Linky no worky
Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Restricted User

You or anyone may PM me on the write up, I make these things .
You have to dremel down both outer ends of the bar that holds/moves the airflaps...and thats it!simple like 123
btw you got a pm
Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So I've watched this about 30 times and tried doing it just as many... Tips, tricks??
Old 05-14-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

HOT TIP...

One vent is different from all the others. (don't ask how I know...I'll sum it up - 4 hours later...)

The left most vent, in the dash surround, is slightly larger than the rest. Not only is the inner part bigger, but so is the part the chrome/metal ring attaches to. The top part will fit onto all the rest, but the bottom part (being bigger) will only work with one top.

In other words, DO NOT mix them up. I separated all of my tops and bottoms, that's how I discovered the issue.

So, if you run into installation problems, make sure you first have the right vent in the dash surround. I stumbled on the solution as I noticed only one vent had numbers listed on it. Other than that, it looks nearly identical to all of the rest.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
So I've watched this about 30 times and tried doing it just as many... Tips, tricks??
I'd start with the middle 3 vents. Work your hardest at getting the center one out.

If you get that one out, you'll be able to reach through the opening, and push the other two out.

As for getting the first one out, I followed the video, although it was a huge hassle.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 AM
Restricted User

for anybody who needs it ;
How the install works:

-start the install with the 3 center vents These are easier to center the rings in.(the outer vents are slightly bigger and its a bit harder to center the rings on these)

-get the upper vent part off (only the ring part with center bar that moves the air flaps).leave the fans/flaps in the dashboard.

-Put the ring over the vent and mark the center bar part (the bar that moves the air flaps) at both innersides .Mark the spot to where you have to dremel it .keep on fitting the rings so you won´t dremel off too much at the end!! remember : go small then you can always go bigger. ,pls see diagram.

-dremel untill both ends of the center bar are equal to the plastic vent ring , just enough to make the ring fit and lay flat, be careful not to dremel too deep .If you sand too much off they may brake.(-just keep on matching the ring untill it lays completely flat on the upper vent part

-Once the ring lays flat on the vent, you get some patex glue (a molding 2 components glue )you mix it with a bit of black paint (as most of these glues are white)to get a greyish color.

you can also glue it and paint it with a black waterhold pencil afterwards.

-put a bit of this glue at each end of the dremeled part and there you go!!!!

-Be carefull before putting the rings back (once the glue has dryed)first take the vent fans out of the dash and put them back in the center bar (with metal ring now) again , so it will be easier to put them back as a whole part
Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Teching In

wished I had these instructions a year a go!! would have helped a lot...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by boyd
for anybody who needs it ;
How the install works:

-start the install with the 3 center vents These are easier to center the rings in.(the outer vents are slightly bigger and its a bit harder to center the rings on these)

-get the upper vent part off (only the ring part with center bar that moves the air flaps).leave the fans/flaps in the dashboard.

-Put the ring over the vent and mark the center bar part (the bar that moves the air flaps) at both innersides .Mark the spot to where you have to dremel it .keep on fitting the rings so you won´t dremel off too much at the end!! remember : go small then you can always go bigger. ,pls see diagram.

-dremel untill both ends of the center bar are equal to the plastic vent ring , just enough to make the ring fit and lay flat, be careful not to dremel too deep .If you sand too much off they may brake.(-just keep on matching the ring untill it lays completely flat on the upper vent part

-Once the ring lays flat on the vent, you get some patex glue (a molding 2 components glue )you mix it with a bit of black paint (as most of these glues are white)to get a greyish color.

you can also glue it and paint it with a black waterhold pencil afterwards.

-put a bit of this glue at each end of the dremeled part and there you go!!!!

-Be carefull before putting the rings back (once the glue has dryed)first take the vent fans out of the dash and put them back in the center bar (with metal ring now) again , so it will be easier to put them back as a whole part

geez it takes that much to put in a few rings?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Restricted User

no,not at all... there is really nothing to it!!!, but some people need much explication.....some can do with few!

My mother can do the job... & thats true!!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Boyd can you send your mom over to my house to do mine

Where do you get these rings?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Default chrome rings

I did this on my car and it looks great, but it was slow going for me on the grinding. I think I am a little slow anyway. I went to the junk yard to practice before I started prying on my dash. It helped a lot.
I used a clear 2 part epoxy and it is not visible.
I read somewhere, probably here, about the one odd size vent. That probably saved me a tremendous amount of work.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:46 AM
Restricted User

yep the outer vents are slightly bigger than the 3 center vents.You better start on the center ones they are easier to center.
I maybe talk easy as I am a bit of a handy man,but its really no big job...easy does it!!!

btw my mom is talking cooking classes, she would be busy and has very few spare time left...sorry man!
I am the one who makes these rings for our cars
Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

does anyone make or have heard about a similar product like this for camaro's?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Restricted User

nope I only know that the front cupholder is the same,which I have made a few in the past for the trans-ams

Quick Reply: How do you install vent rings? No install doc's