Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best way to thoroughly clean up my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to thoroughly clean up my car?

Hey guys, I'm tired of the little swirls that almost look like scratches in my paint, and I all of a sudden got into a big cleaning mood. I was wandering what was the best way to completely wash, wax, polish, whatever to make my car look clean as ****. If you could give me a list of cleaning items and stuff I could go out and get, that would be awesome too.

I already bought:

Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tire Shine
Eagle One Tire Swipe
ArmorAll Original Protectant Wipes
ArmorAll Cleaning Wipes
ArmorAll Auto Glass Wipes
ArmorAll Clean & Polish Towels

I'm just looking for good wash ways to make my car look as good as I can, without getting it professionally detailed, and without using high tech buffers and stuff.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not a pro, I've only detailed my car once, but I was happy with the results. I got the Mother's clay bar kit, Mother's polish, and I used Zymol cleaner wax. I washed the car, clayed it, polished it, and waxed it. I was going to apply another coat of wax, but I was happy with how it looked, so I didn't bother. The exterior took me ~5 or 6 hours total, I can't remember, it was almost a year ago (my old GTP). I did it all by hand.....

Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Launching!

Wow, that looks really good, I might try and get the Mother's Items instead because it sounds like they have more of the polishing and waxing stuff. Most of the stuff I have anyways is for the windows and dash and stuff.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT USE ARMORALL!!!!

It dries out your plastics, and leaves that nasty cheap looking shine that attracts dirt. The stuff is bad news for plastics.

To clean plastic interior pieces, just wipe them down with a microfiber towel. If they are really dirty, soak the towel in soapy dish water and scrub.

As for your paint, its hard to say over the internet what sort of attention it needs. It might look great with a nice cleaner wax like Meguirs NXT, but if there are lots of swirls, a good buffing would be your best option.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Launching!

So seriously dont use ArmorAll for my inside?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00RedMaro
So seriously dont use ArmorAll for my inside?
Seriously! It attracts more dust/dirt and it dries out the plastics causing them to be brittle/split.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well honestly if the vehicle does have hairline scratches and swirls in it and its a darker color then to really get it looking good your going to need it buffed. You just dont get the same results by hand.

But Ive heard good things about Menzerna and Tropicare products. I would give them a shout
Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, first off...Armor All (original formula) will NOT harm your plastics. It is a water-based dressing.

And to make your car "look clean as ****" - you'll have to remove the swirls/scratches. By hand, it's going to be difficult and very time consuming. You might try something like Scratch-X. The finished results will only be as good as the prep work, so the more you do, the better it will be.

Quick Reply: Best way to thoroughly clean up my car?