Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New 98 TA WS6 Owner w/ T-Top Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 98 TA WS6 Owner w/ T-Top Question

I just picked up a 98 TA WS6 with 7000 miles. So I'm a new TA owner of a basically new car. The previous owner never pulled the t-tops. We had a nice day here in Kansas City and I figured I would pull the t-tops for the first time.

I figured out how to latch the driver side top in the trunk area but really struggled getting the passenger side top stowed. I could get it latched in place but it was somewhat bound in the rack and then when I went to close the hatch the hatch liner pressed down on the edge of the passenger t-top flexing it. This clearly didn't seem right so I put the passenger top back on and drove with only one t-top out.

So my question is how easily should the t-tops rack into the slots in the rack in the trunk? It almost seemed like the right side rack was slightly out of alignment and was not aligned easily to receive the pin.

Do I possibly need to replace one side of the storage rack?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike O.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take some pictures, Mine slide in with ease
Old 04-18-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the metal latching tabs slide into their respective holes on the trunk area
Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

the slots in my trunk are labeled "driver" and "passenger" from the factory. Doubt it would matter which slot you put them in, but it's worth checking out.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i never need to latch mine down, they slide right in and stay in place
Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Third Chrome Wheel Director

If you want to "latch" them into the locked position in the holders, like another poster stated, make sure the pins in the tops are lined up with the holes in the holder....you might need to move them and adjust them as you try to lock them in.....if that's doesn't work maybe replacement of one side or the other is needed for whatever reason....shoudn't be that much for the plastic replacement part.....
Old 07-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

My passenger's side t-top can interfere with the trim panel on the rear of the hatch... I usually put a small towel over the t-top corner to avoid scuffing the panel. I too have some difficulty getting that panel into place, I usually have to extend the pin until it starts to go into the hole on the passenger's side, then gently rock the panel as I lock the mechanism (in order to get the pin to slide in smoothly).

Seems to be a 1998 thing, I've heard (and seen) similar stories from other 1998 owners.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ethomp
the slots in my trunk are labeled "driver" and "passenger" from the factory. Doubt it would matter which slot you put them in, but it's worth checking out.
it does matter which one you put them in. the drivers side one goes in the back slot and the pass side goes in the front slot (one closest to the taillights) you have to remove the drivers side t-top first and then the pass side and then install the pass side top first and then install the drivers side top last. they will not fit in there the opposite way.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

yes it matters the spots are formed

Quick Reply: New 98 TA WS6 Owner w/ T-Top Question