Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Zaino users. I need help with what to go with.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Zaino users. I need help with what to go with.

I have a black Chevrolet Tahoe, and I am wanting to order some Zaino Products.

I plan on getting the Z-7 Car Wash, the ZFX polish additive, the Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer", applicator pads, as well as the Z-9 leather cleaner, and Z-10 leather in a bottle.

Here is my question. I can see some minor swirls in the paint, and I know how bad they can get on a black or dark colored vehicle. The Z-5 is recommended to get minor swirls out. Should I go with the Z-5 and stay with it, or go with the Z-5 until the swirls are gone, then switch to Z-2? I guess my question is, can you use Z-5 all of the time, or will it be too hard on the paint?
I just want to get rid of my minor swirl marks, and prevent them from coming back.

Also, does the "Leather in a bottle" smell real, and bring back the new car type smell?

Thanks,
Ross
Old 10-29-2003, 04:57 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need is Z5 for swirls. About 2 coats. Then Z2 for mega gloss. With Z6 in between every coat. The ZFX is mixed with both the z5 and z-2.

Dont forget dawn and claybar.

ITS SO WORTH IT WHEN YOU GET DONE!
Old 10-29-2003, 04:58 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Shhh Z2 and Z5 are the same but the z-5 is thicker!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For swirl marks we have found that 3M puts out a wax that is a scratch remover for dark colored cars. This does really good in removing swirl marks. It won't remove much of anything major but will lighten them up and make it less apparent. We have used Zaino on our black cars but found that the 3m did better with the scratches to start with then the Zaino for the actual waxing.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my red car I have about five coats of Z5 on and it really helped the swirls and fine scratches. You can actually put Z5 on and then apply Z2 over top of it as much as you want, it really isn't necessary once you get the finish how you like it you can just hit it up with Z2 and then Z6 to keep the dust down and keep it lookin clean.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zaino doesn't make anything to fix swirls, their products are non abrasive and only hide the swirls.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What about the "Leather in a bottle"? Does it work? Does it smell good?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

There is no Zaino product that will fix swirls. Z-5 is a feeble crutch to BARELY fill them in. If you do not polish first to remove the swirls, the zaino clarity will make them look worse (make them alot more obvious). Call Sal - he will tell you, as will any professional - that PREP is the key to getting a beautiful finish. Pick up some Menzerna polish or some 3m polish and start polishing. Once you have gotten the finish swirl/defect free, then apply the zaino, and watch the paint REALLY shine.

For added depth/gloss, might want to layer some P21s or Pinnacle Souveran carnauba over the Zaino, but this is more a personal preference than a requirement (I personally prefer to top with Carnauba particularly on Black cars.)

The bottom line here is that to make the car truly look good, you'll need to polish before you apply your zaino. Without polishing, the zaino will just make your swirled finish look REALLY good (as in make the swirls REALLY obvious). Z-5 is simply a mild filler. it has no abrasive/polishing qualities and it will not solve your problem to the full extent.

-Tom
Old 10-30-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zaino Rules!!! http://community.webshots.com/photo/...87059964HnmmMV

I used dawn, then clay bar with zaino wash, then I used Z-5, and then the gloss enhancer....
Old 10-31-2003, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ross87t
What about the "Leather in a bottle"? Does it work? Does it smell good?
Yes and Yes.
Keeps the leather seats looking and smelling like new.
Works great!
Get both the leather cleaner (Z-9) and the leather conditioner (Z-10).
Old 10-31-2003, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Z-5 will gradually fill in light swirls and scratches. It isn't meant for the more severe ones. If there are more severe, they need to be "fixed" as SuperBuick suggests. Since Zaino stacks and doesn't wash off, the Z-5 will gradually fill in the minor swirls.

The MAIN thing is to make sure you aren't constantly putting in new swirls, by using only the best products and a gentle technique. Most people are their own worst enemy when it comes to swirls.

Quick Reply: Zaino users. I need help with what to go with.