Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Looking to Detail the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow Looking to Detail the Engine bay

Hey Guys, I have been searching and I really didn't see anything that I don't already know. I need some opinions and techiniques.

My engine bay is pretty clean but I want it looking really good all the time.

Here is a recent pic as of Dec 2008. Looking basically the same. No fuel rail covers but thats something I have been thinking about.

This doesnt need to be show quality perfect but I want to be not embarrased when I open the hood.

Currently I use a cleaner like invisible glass, and a rag. The some tireshine on the black plastics.

I have seen some guys do stuff to batteries to get them to look totall black I am not a fan of chrome, the color of the car is Navy Blue. The car has a Fast 90/90 ported, sanded, and painted by Vengance.

I come from the LT1 world where we didnt use a power washer or hose so we wouldnt kill the opti.

This is what it looks like now....

STOCK!!

So basically I am looking for opinions on what you would do to dress it up, and what techniques do you use to get it clean and stay clean. Other then not driving it.

1) Looking to Avoid Chrome- Very little if any
2) Clean and tasteful
3) A good polish for the intake to keep it looking mint.
4) Can we powerwash with simple green w/o issues.
5) Any pitfalls that I can avoid.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

I found a recent post and this is what I am talking about. Clean, Simple, Tasteful, and follows the lines of the car. Notice the car battery...... also looks like the fuel rails are painted and the valve covers are done too.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda went ape **** painting everything but Im taking some things from red to chrome here in a few...

All the caps are going to chrome and the STB is going to red.. lucky its just shitty paint im testing out so when I powdercoat it it will be what I want and I will know the fisnish... and I have to do the WIRE mod and the new battery mod lol and repaint the lid/box/ etc
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

I would like to Wire Delete the engine bay as well as painting some of the things like the Hood struts. I think they will be NBM.

Did you polish the A/C thingy on the left side??
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I would like to Wire Delete the engine bay as well as painting some of the things like the Hood struts. I think they will be NBM.

Did you polish the A/C thingy on the left side??
yeah the engine bay wasnt detailed at all .. it was a random pic after driving it..

It usually shines like a mirror..

Mother mag wheel compound. makes any aluminum shine like none other.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Take the handle off your battery (looks bad). You can polish your TB, MAF, AC dryer. Paint the ugly fiberglass bumper support. Spray the dirty areas down with simple green then scrub by hand with a stiff bristled brush. Put the power washer on "fan spray" and wash it off. Just be careful around the PCM and not to get too much water pooled around the fuel injectors. Use a air compressor if you have one to blow the water out of all the nooks & crannies. Now I know you said you didn't want any chrome but take a look at some of our covers. They can all be purchased in brushed stainless steel which look good and are very easy to clean. You can wipe them down with a towel and simple green w/o scratching. We also have machine finish billet caps! Let me know if you have any questions. http://specializedstainless.com
Old 04-30-2009, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPECIALIZED STAINLESS
Take the handle off your battery (looks bad). You can polish your TB, MAF, AC dryer. Paint the ugly fiberglass bumper support. Spray the dirty areas down with simple green then scrub by hand with a stiff bristled brush. Put the power washer on "fan spray" and wash it off. Just be careful around the PCM and not to get too much water pooled around the fuel injectors. Use a air compressor if you have one to blow the water out of all the nooks & crannies. Now I know you said you didn't want any chrome but take a look at some of our covers. They can all be purchased in brushed stainless steel which look good and are very easy to clean. You can wipe them down with a towel and simple green w/o scratching. We also have machine finish billet caps! Let me know if you have any questions. http://specializedstainless.com
The black thing going across it is a hold down.. the handle is formed into the battery cap its a squalmart battery... wont be in there for long
Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

mothers billet polish on the passenger side cylinder head, along with the AC parts
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I've got going on. Not the best, mind you. But I get nice complements.

Those stainless steel covers and chrome plated lids look great, don't they?

Just clean the interior painted areas couple times a week with Maguire's detail spray, and I'm good to go.

Oh, and by the way, anyone know where I can get a replacement lower airbox assembly (part with 4 bolts at the front and JBA sticker ANYWHERE online)
Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 PM
FormerVendor

The stainless labels, and the caps covers came from us.
We offer a lot of the shiny stuff you may not like, but we also offer composite plastics in many colors, and custom etching.

Shoot us an email if you are interested.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I need to get some new/better pics of mine, but here it is for an example if you're interested.

Shay
Old 05-02-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, let me just say, my covers from EmblemPros.com came out perfect. They even did a custom lid for my oil cap. I highly recommend them!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I need to get those along with the fuse cover overlays. They look really nice.

Shay
Old 05-02-2009, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

I found a recent post and this is what I am talking about. Clean, Simple, Tasteful, and follows the lines of the car. Notice the car battery...... also looks like the fuel rails are painted and the valve covers are done too.

That is a damn sweet engine bay

The fuel rails, along with the valve covers and brackets are powder coated. Silverghost did em up.

You don't have to go nuts under the hood....keep it simple and tasteful. Sometimes less is more, and the little details ( the battery, the SLP decal ) are what really tie it all in!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Motorboater

I have an engine package special I do for powder coating. Huggerorange73's bay that you like shows it. Intake manifold, throttle body, MAF ends, valve covers, and coil brackets all for $275. If you intake is painted there's an additional charge to remove that paint first though, it takes awhile to remove it.

Be glad to help, PM me if you are interested.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Internet Mechanic

I guess the big question is to poweder coat to the color of the car, NBM, or something like a bright silver to really make it pop.

WE have alot of work to do, thank you for all of the responses.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

I guess the big question is to poweder coat to the color of the car, NBM, or something like a bright silver to really make it pop.

WE have alot of work to do, thank you for all of the responses.
I would personally do the NBM & Silver....follow the pattern we used with every other piece the other color.

Sean will help you out, fear not!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

You can use some S100 cleaner (for motorcycles) I have tried everything and then used the rest of my S100 on the engine instead of my bike. WORKS GREAT.

I took all of the wires on the passenger side strut tower and relocated them. made a big difference kinda cleans it up
Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
Here's what I've got going on. Not the best, mind you. But I get nice complements.

Nice engine bay cobrahunter....I gotta ask, What did you do or use to black out the A/C condensor lines? Are they paiinted black, gloss/flat or is there a rubber covering around them??
Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Michael: I use tire shine and when freshly applied looks just like that. A neat trick I learned.