Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior Painting: In Progress With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
I guess my tips are working out eh? I did a bunch of research before I did mine. I never did a write up for fear of getting flamed, but ya know what? It's been 2 years and my **** still looks as good as new. Best part is, it looks FACTORY.

Pics on my cardomain page if anyone wants to doubt me.
How did you do it? I am wanting to do this to my trim pieces to turn the ebony. thanks for any help
Old 05-12-2009 | 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

good luck man...i used the krylon before to paint the interior of a car....it looks good at first but chips and flakes easily.....also, if you put it on anything other than plastic like rubber or vinyl it will stay tacky for ever and will turn into a major pain in the ***
Old 05-12-2009 | 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

Finished today. Its all done. I was actually done yesterday but it was very dark and I didnt get to finish mounting the passenger door panel. its all on there now. Its all dry. nothings tacky nothings rubbing off on me. I drove the car and theres no glare so in some pictures it looks glossy I guess its just my camera...

The rear pieces that I did at the start of this thread are still a little glossy. However. I did spray them with some satin to lighten them up a tad.

I managed to take the dash apart on my own by just tearing into it. I managed to wiggle the console out and back in without breaking anything and overall I only had 4 left over screws that I just simply couldnt find a place to put them lol.

Heres pics of the finished products.

I stretched it very tight but couldnt get them all the way out. I am not upset by it. since the writeup I used didnt really help at all with pictures just said do it basically lol.

I dont know why my ebrake handle looks like that? Its been that way since I bought the car..

Those of you whom I PMd.. asking for help . bugging the crap out of you..

Thank you! You were a wonderful help in making my project turn out the way I wanted it!
Old 05-13-2009 | 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Not bad. I'd be cool to see your dash before. It'll be a lil scratchy for awhile. This is normal and will go away over time. I couldn't wipe mine with anything with out leaving some fibers. I used leather condidtioner and rubbed it in with my hands. Now I can wipe it with a wet microfiber towel and its all good.

I still can't see how you managed do to that to the door panels. Their's got to be a good writeup around here somewhere. I don't have any pictures or any other advice. Beats the hell out of me. Take all 4 peice of the door panel apart and put it back together same way and it'll look the same. Their's no stretching of leather what so ever. Slap it on the cardboard trim it up and that part is done. You don't even fold the edges.
Old 05-13-2009 | 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Not bad. I'd be cool to see your dash before. It'll be a lil scratchy for awhile. This is normal and will go away over time. I couldn't wipe mine with anything with out leaving some fibers. I used leather condidtioner and rubbed it in with my hands. Now I can wipe it with a wet microfiber towel and its all good.

I still can't see how you managed do to that to the door panels. Their's got to be a good writeup around here somewhere. I don't have any pictures or any other advice. Beats the hell out of me. Take all 4 peice of the door panel apart and put it back together same way and it'll look the same. Their's no stretching of leather what so ever. Slap it on the cardboard trim it up and that part is done. You don't even fold the edges.

The writeups I found didnt show that they just showed you how to take them apart.. not what to cover them with or anything.

Now that I know what im doing. I may take them apart again later and cover them.

I left the carpet on all the writeups I found where just for leaving the carpet on and covering it. Oh well. Im pleased.
Old 05-13-2009 | 12:27 PM
On The Tree

i covered my wore out headliner with vynle it looked great but the cheap spray glue only held for a few months... im goin to go back with 3M for a permanent hold

i think sometimes wrinkles give it a better look.... it just looks a little more like real leather.

but if the wrinkles don't match on both doors then it may jus look like a bad job

nice work
Old 05-13-2009 | 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those arent stock door panels. At some point they were recovered obviously, Trans ams are perforated from the factory, the only one ive ever seen different from the factory was my cousin's Harley Davidson edition 96 WS6.
Old 05-13-2009 | 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Those arent stock door panels. At some point they were recovered obviously, Trans ams are perforated from the factory, the only one ive ever seen different from the factory was my cousin's Harley Davidson edition 96 WS6.
My doors were all factory.. I had to cut the plastic posts on the back to take it apart. There was nothing done to it until I covered them with the leather.
Old 05-13-2009 | 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick_Rapitis
good luck man...i used the krylon before to paint the interior of a car....it looks good at first but chips and flakes easily.....
Not sure what you did wrong but mine has been on for a long time now & it take a hell of a scratch to leave a mark on it & in no spots do I have any chipping or flaking.
Old 05-13-2009 | 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
My doors were all factory.. I had to cut the plastic posts on the back to take it apart. There was nothing done to it until I covered them with the leather.
If its not perforated, its not factory plain and simple. Any upholstery shop can re-plastic weld those little dinky posts. How long have you had the car? What year is it? Im guessing 99 lol.
Old 05-13-2009 | 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Guys, read better. He stated even in the sentence you quoted that the doors were completely stock until HE wrapped them in leather.
Old 05-13-2009 | 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Come do mine Red WS6 + Gray interior = wtf
Old 05-13-2009 | 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Guys, read better. He stated even in the sentence you quoted that the doors were completely stock until HE wrapped them in leather.
OH!!!!!! OH my god i feel DUMB!!!!! lol im sooooo sorry!!! I get so aggravated when people dont read my post and im totally butching yours. Again, im sorry! lol thank you for pointing it out bigmike!!!!!

They look good!
Old 05-14-2009 | 12:03 AM
On The Tree

looks great.. grats mate! good job!
Old 05-14-2009 | 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good!! I've been thinking of doing this. PM'd you.
Old 05-14-2009 | 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Looks Awesome, Diffentley better than the cream tan color!!! The interior looks good!
Old 05-14-2009 | 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by evilZO6
OH!!!!!! OH my god i feel DUMB!!!!! lol im sooooo sorry!!! I get so aggravated when people dont read my post and im totally butching yours. Again, im sorry! lol thank you for pointing it out bigmike!!!!!

They look good!
LOL, I knew you were missing something there. Thats alright though cause I think most of us have been caught at some point & time doin the same thing, LOL. I know I have anyway & in more than one section on here over the years.
Old 05-17-2009 | 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, I think your emergency brake handle has genital warts. Did a stripper own your car before you????
Old 05-17-2009 | 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Dude, I think your emergency brake handle has genital warts. Did a stripper own your car before you????
old man actually lol he was like 80 years old and died left the car to his son who let his daughter drive it.. but yeah I dunno man that **** is screwed up. I dont know how to get it off either. Theres a little hole with what looks like there was a screw in there but its very rusted and I cant really see what type it was to even attempt to get it out.

Id love to get a new one...
Old 05-17-2009 | 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I reccomend using Adhesion promoter.

I did this and the panel under the door and kick panel is getting scratched to ****, no flaking but if I slide my shoe across the panel when gettin in it scrapes it right off.

Im willing to better others is scrpaing off too, Im sure the onyl reason I noticed mine is because tan is under it.

USE ADHESION PROMOTER.
Its not near as durable as some people on here would lead you to believe. trust me Ive done it.

Quick Reply: Interior Painting: In Progress With Pictures