Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior Painting: In Progress With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interior Painting: In Progress With Pictures

So Ive always wanted to have Ebony interior. after talking with several members one on one. I decided to start.

I went a slightly different route then most have. I used a gloss black instead of a satin. Im not far into it. I really dont know if I like it 100% or not and im trying to get feedback from others. I have to do the whole car in this basically. And I want mutiple opinions. I think it looks great compared to the Graphite. but I am not so sure I want it compared to a satin color.

So before I get everything done in the gloss I wanna find out if I want to switch or not.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I heard, the thing with gloss black paint, when you do the dash you're most likely going to get some good glare off of that. I'm going to be going to a dark black interior soon but I'm wrapping with vinyl instead of painting.

The paint looks really good, but just think about the glare issue because that could pose a problem.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My concern is that, gloss will make it look more like cheap plastic than it already is?
I guess you would save on Armor All...

black looks nice though.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DriftR
My concern is that, gloss will make it look more like cheap plastic than it already is?
I guess you would save on Armor All...

black looks nice though.
That was my concern. Gloss will be going out tomorrow. Im returning the rest of the cans for satin to give it that flat look.

I am not confident in my leather wrapping skill. I think I would freak out too much worrying about a wrinkle and end up doing a bad job.

Im more comfy with a rattle can.

Thanks for the advice guys. Once I took the pics and got them on the computer I noticed the glare. it would be way too much for the road and the sun im certain.

Well guess I gotta do some changes.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

my biggest problem with u painting it is the scratches and chips that you WILL get
Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

yea def. go with a good dark satin black.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

It's looking good, but stay with flat black. What brand of interior paint are you using? I'm looking to repaint my interior as well. Going to stay with ebony. The interior has some fade, but the panels are good otherwise. So what's the procedure for prepping? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

I need to repaint the inside of my beater gs-t. Im also interested in the steps to repainting. Also what are you doing to prevent it from cracking or peeling off?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Krylon Fusion. I had no idea this stuff was at all great quality.

I went back to wal-mart today and picked up 3 cans of the Black Satin. Its not near as glossy.

All im doing is taking the pieces out. rinsing with water (careful on the rear pieces didnt want to take the monsoon speakers out of the spare tire hatch covers) and Im washing with a dish soap and a soft sponge. then wiping the water off with some paper towels. making sure they are fully dry before I start to paint.

Light even coats to ensure full sprays, and just letting it dry Takes about 15 minutes in the sun. And going back and touching it up if it needs it.

so far its comming out really well and im very pleased with the results.

Ill have new satin pictures of the new pieces ive painted tonight. I had to take the pieces shown in the pictures out and re-do them with the satin. In the direct sun they are very bright.

If been playing with the pieces seeing how durable the paint is. It seems to be good quality stuff. The plastics are bending and theres no flaking. Of course I dont get in and kick the **** out of my panels either. nor do I scratch them up really bad. Ill report back to the thread as time goes on.

Theres a lot of interior pieces I still have to get taken apart and taken out. Im about half way done though
Old 05-10-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
Krylon Fusion. I had no idea this stuff was at all great quality.

I went back to wal-mart today and picked up 3 cans of the Black Satin. Its not near as glossy.

All im doing is taking the pieces out. rinsing with water (careful on the rear pieces didnt want to take the monsoon speakers out of the spare tire hatch covers) and Im washing with a dish soap and a soft sponge. then wiping the water off with some paper towels. making sure they are fully dry before I start to paint.

Light even coats to ensure full sprays, and just letting it dry Takes about 15 minutes in the sun. And going back and touching it up if it needs it.

so far its comming out really well and im very pleased with the results.

Ill have new satin pictures of the new pieces ive painted tonight. I had to take the pieces shown in the pictures out and re-do them with the satin. In the direct sun they are very bright.

If been playing with the pieces seeing how durable the paint is. It seems to be good quality stuff. The plastics are bending and theres no flaking. Of course I dont get in and kick the **** out of my panels either. nor do I scratch them up really bad. Ill report back to the thread as time goes on.

Theres a lot of interior pieces I still have to get taken apart and taken out. Im about half way done though

To make sure it doesnt flake, i HIGHLY recomend using an adhesion promoter. Plastic by nature isnt very porous, there isnt much for the paint to bite into. Plastic adhesion promoter is the middle man, and will give you better long term results. It may look good today, but it could start flaking and peeling as early as 2 weeks.

The propper/safest way to do it would be after you're done with the dish soap, go over it with a good degreaser. You can get a big enough can for around $10. After that, go over every thing with a tac (dont remember how to spell that!) cloth, and then lay some adhesion promoter, and then paint the way you are. The degreaser will make sure there is nothing between the product and the plastic, ensuring the best possible bond, the adhesion promoter will provide a surface that the paint can stick to 10x better than plastic, and you will have a high quality, long lasting result. For only another $20 or so, you can go from doing an ok job to the best that you can, it will be worth it and you can start now, and if you end up having problems with the peices youve already done, you can simply go back and use a paint stripper and start over.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by evilZO6
To make sure it doesnt flake, i HIGHLY recomend using an adhesion promoter. Plastic by nature isnt very porous, there isnt much for the paint to bite into. Plastic adhesion promoter is the middle man, and will give you better long term results. It may look good today, but it could start flaking and peeling as early as 2 weeks.

The propper/safest way to do it would be after you're done with the dish soap, go over it with a good degreaser. You can get a big enough can for around $10. After that, go over every thing with a tac (dont remember how to spell that!) cloth, and then lay some adhesion promoter, and then paint the way you are. The degreaser will make sure there is nothing between the product and the plastic, ensuring the best possible bond, the adhesion promoter will provide a surface that the paint can stick to 10x better than plastic, and you will have a high quality, long lasting result. For only another $20 or so, you can go from doing an ok job to the best that you can, it will be worth it and you can start now, and if you end up having problems with the peices youve already done, you can simply go back and use a paint stripper and start over.
couldnt agree more.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by evilZO6

+100

I LIVE in the ways of adhesion promoter , use it for everything and get great results. The plastic should looks very dull and dry when you are done with the prep before paint- that way you know there is nothing on it.

Looks great so far. What you could do if you stick with the glossy black is just lightly sand the pieces to take some of the shine out.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I painted my 97 Camaro's interior VERY carefully about 5 years ago. In no time at all, it began to chip, crack and peel away...just because I would ride with the windows down.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

that looks amazing man. i might steal your idea now. lol sorry for being a theif but i absolutely love that. keep up the good work. lets see the finished project. what are you gonna do about your doors?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
my biggest problem with u painting it is the scratches and chips that you WILL get

Totally agree, this is the reason Y I will never paint any of my interior pieces.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the comments. I am worried about flaking. but thus far its very durable.

I got some more pieces done and some sitting in the car.

As far as the doors. im stuck. I tried to cover the cloth with a leather/vinyl type and it just wouldnt work. kept comming up wrinkled. The guides on the internet kinda lead you to it but once it comes time to laying the vinyl on its another story.

Theres a Vinyl/Carpet and Interior Dye Made by Duplicolor, It seems good quality. Im going to just dye my cloth on my doors. Paint the Soft pieces with the spray dye. And for the hard plastic just going to use the fusion.

Ive not really taken much off the car before interior wise. so im taking my time not to break any of it.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Guys you do not need adhesion promoter with the Fusion paints. Sure it might be just an extra step to help it become even more durable but it's not like other paints. I have had some interior pieces done including the top to my center console done with it for a while now & it still looks great. I always throw my keys into the cup holder if I'm just getting out at the house real quick & it still hasn't scratched thru to the original gray color.

With other paints I'd also recommend using the promoter but Fusion is better by itself than alot of other paints I have seen people try on their interior.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Guys you do not need adhesion promoter with the Fusion paints. Sure it might be just an extra step to help it become even more durable but it's not like other paints. I have had some interior pieces done including the top to my center console done with it for a while now & it still looks great. I always throw my keys into the cup holder if I'm just getting out at the house real quick & it still hasn't scratched thru to the original gray color.

With other paints I'd also recommend using the promoter but Fusion is better by itself than alot of other paints I have seen people try on their interior.
Even still, its so cheap that there's no reason to not use it. Its like a $5 insurance policy.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Very interested, I have always wanted ebony interior. What is the closest paint color to ebony that you can buy in spray form?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess my tips are working out eh? I did a bunch of research before I did mine. I never did a write up for fear of getting flamed, but ya know what? It's been 2 years and my **** still looks as good as new. Best part is, it looks FACTORY.

Pics on my cardomain page if anyone wants to doubt me.

Quick Reply: Interior Painting: In Progress With Pictures