Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Rotor & Caliper Painting

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rotor & Caliper Painting

I just got a new set of powerslot rotors and pads from Jim at breakmotive and theyre going to be going on in the next few days. I had a couple of questions before I dive into it, mainly on the painting side.

As far as sanding and cleaning go, should sand paper (paper and dremel rolls) and break cleaner be sufficient to smooth and clean the calipers?

I am also planning to paint the hats and edges of the rotors black before I put them on. Should I do anything to the rotor before painting? I plan on scuffing them in the painting area, but Im not sure if the coating on the rotors will interfere with the paint sticking.

I plan to paint using Duplicolor red caliper paint for the main calipers. For the brackets and rotors I was debating using POR15. I have seen people use that but I wasnt sure if it had enough heat resistance for the area.

That about covers it. Any other tips for doing this would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Teching In

I would use brake clean to clean up the rotors before taping and painting. That will let the tape stick better and the paint have adhesion. I would use black caliper paint on the rotors. The right way is to powder coat but caliper paint should work if it can hold up to the heat. Also, tape them and then measure and make your line around the rotor of where you want ur paint to be and use a razor blade or exacto knife to cut the tape/paint line. Will give you best results for a crisp line.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

I had to use dremel rolls to get the 9 years of crud off my calipers, but after some time on each one, they were shiny enough to leave unpainted. I feel it was worth it to spend that much time on them as well because I haven't had any chipping yet. I used the duplicolor caliper paint and cleared them as well. Also if you do any decals on the front calipers, be sure to shoot a couple coats of clear over them so their easier to clean, and they don't peel.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

do all the above but prime the bare metal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the G2 caliper painting system, it is the best and very easy to use.. You will never have a problem with it chipping. The duplicolor is ok, but if you are going to do it do it right and once only.. Plus this paint will give you a ceramic type finish that is rock solid. Also, you can send them your paint code from your car and you will get an exact match.

http://www.g2usa.com/

POR15 works good for those areas, I have used it but it will chip if you don't prep the metal behind it.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

SOM- I will be using the duplicolor caliper painting kit that is very similar to the G2 one you posted up. Is there any significant difference between the two? I have the prep products for the POR15 that I planned to use before hand. Is that what you meant by prepping the metal?

BillyB- Ive never heard of anyone priming before using the caliper kits. Have you done this before painting and how did it turn out? I will be using the ceramic paint kits, not rattle can for the record.

Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

the G2 caliper paint (just purchased some for my rotors) is a two part system (paint and activator that you need to mix before beginning) and is rated up to 900*. The dupli-color is only rated to something like 500*. The dupli-color is probably good enough but for my rotors I only want to paint them once so I figure spend an extra $15-20 now and avoid some possible headaches later. Check ebay for the G2 caliper paint.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just painted my calipers with the dupli-color kit thats is acually brush on paint... They look really good and everyone told me they like them.. Later this summer I wanna take the calipers off and paint my rotors black like you wanna do..
Old 05-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Motorboater

You guys talking about heat are worrying about the wrong thing.

The reason paint doesn't last very long on calipers(yes including the G2, it'll fail way faster than powder coating every will) is the lack of strength and flexibility. Your caliper constantly heating up and cooling down makes it expand and contract a bit. Paint can't handle this, it looses its bond both to the metal and to itself and starts chipping off. Powder is so flexible that this will never be a problem, along with superior chemical and heat resistance.

You get what you pay for. Before I got into powder coating, I tried everything under the sun to keep my calipers looking nice with paint, nothing ever worked. And the car was not by any means a daily driver during this time either.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
You guys talking about heat are worrying about the wrong thing.

The reason paint doesn't last very long on calipers(yes including the G2, it'll fail way faster than powder coating every will) is the lack of strength and flexibility. Your caliper constantly heating up and cooling down makes it expand and contract a bit. Paint can't handle this, it looses its bond both to the metal and to itself and starts chipping off. Powder is so flexible that this will never be a problem, along with superior chemical and heat resistance.

You get what you pay for. Before I got into powder coating, I tried everything under the sun to keep my calipers looking nice with paint, nothing ever worked. And the car was not by any means a daily driver during this time either.

He's right.....I attempted to paint my rotor hubs with "high temp" caliper paint..EPIC FAIL!

The rotors have been stripped of all paint and will soon be in the hands of Silver Ghost who did a kick *** job on my calipers & brackets.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FamousZ
I just painted my calipers with the dupli-color kit thats is acually brush on paint... They look really good and everyone told me they like them.. Later this summer I wanna take the calipers off and paint my rotors black like you wanna do..
I just repainted mine 2 days ago....with the Duplicolor kit/brush on...looks really bright red...
Old 05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Just make sure you start with a strong grit and work your way up, making it nice and smooth to get the best results. Don't just scuff it up and paint (you could but if you get it smooth it'll be a flat, glossy surface). Make sure you prime it, color, clear, all that. The best way would in fact be to give them to silverghost and get them powdercoated so they last longer, but I know that it's not always the right time to shell out that money.

I was really confused for a minute 'cause your avatar really looks like my car lol
Old 05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have had issues with G2 Ghost?. I have yet to hear of anyone who has experienced any problems with it. Including hard driven cars on Road Courses, I have it on mine and have had those babies pretty hot for extended periods of time and they still look brand new
Old 05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

SilverGhost- I know that powdercoating would definitely be the best way to go and I took a look at your services. I would be going this route, but I do not have the funds right now. When I am finished remodeling my garage I am going to pick up a pc kit and see how I do painting stuff on my own. I am just concerned about any problems painting with POR15 around the brakes could cause.

98WS6- Ill take that as a a compliment. Ive seen pics of your car and its definitely a nice car!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drop, POR15 will be fine around the brakes just don't get it on the rubber and other areas like that. Like I stated earlier, some chipping will occur with it but it's minimal. I used POR15 on just about everything under my car.

Good example, 8 years old.. I did this when I first got the car.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

I powder coated a few (thousand) parts before and powder is the best bet, no questions. If you don't want to take the time/cost/effort to powder coat, use the G2 system along with a few extra cans of cleaner. I used G2 at first before I got a job powder coating and it is by far the best "paint" available for that application. It lasted several years w/o problems. When I had to remove the G2 to prep the caliper for powder it was as hard to remove as powder. It isn't powder, but that G2 works! Just make sure it's VERY clean before you apply.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for 2 part epoxy caliper paint like G2. I used Folia tec because of color choice years ago and it looks and shines the same as when it was done.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I literally jsut got done painting my calipers and brackets..

I used Duplicolor caliper paint. so we will see how it holds up. Currently everything is drying right now. Plan on putting it all back together tomorrow

here is a real qucik bad pic. you can see my finger prints

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 05-15-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Launching!

i used VHT caliper paint. I love it, i love all of vht paints, i havent had any problems.

I just cleaned with brake cleaner, sanded with 150, whiped down with wax and grease remover and sprayed. I cant even scratch it off, it seems very durable, however, i would powder coat them if i had the money
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by SOMSS1LE
You have had issues with G2 Ghost?. I have yet to hear of anyone who has experienced any problems with it. Including hard driven cars on Road Courses, I have it on mine and have had those babies pretty hot for extended periods of time and they still look brand new

Not me personally, but a few customers. Then again, they may not have done it correctly, who knows?

Quick Reply: Rotor & Caliper Painting