Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Custom STB coil bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom STB coil bracket

How many of you would be intrested in one of my custom coil brackets,in a choice of powder coating colors ?I was throwing the idea over to 6litter to see if he'd be intested
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...oil%20bracket/
Pics on car!
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../APs%20Engine/

Last edited by barnat; 05-18-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

have any pics on the car?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default pics

Originally Posted by 71-Camaro-98
have any pics on the car?
just added the pics for ya bud!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

thanks barnat... You and 6LE have more and more new ideas all the time (Ill be catching up soon) As far as the coil bracket goes I like it. It still leaves some clutter in the open but it is a change from stock which I think makes it look better. Now is this a STB/Bracket in one or is it an add on to a STB?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Coil bracket

Ive had SOOOO many guys ask me what ide charge to make them one,, that i figuired 6litter would be the man to mass produce these for you guys I figuired if he had enough guys, he'd get a good deal on these STB's bare and could offer powder coating to your needs. This was powder coated by the way with the spacers .This idea just hit me one day while i was installing the coil kit under the cowl ,which i couldnt do because the rear drivers breather was in the way .So i was looking at the STB and it justy hit me LOL The coils are in a cooler area and its easy as **** to remove the whole piece in one shot for maintaince or rocker changes Also to show off your valve covers LOLwhich was the main reason for me!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I guess if you dont have a STB and were looking to relocate your coils anyway it would be perfect. I already have a STB and FRCs as well, so for my set up it wouldnt be practical at this point in time. I guess it is just what kind of look you are going for. I like the idea though.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks barnat... You and 6LE have more and more new ideas all the time (Ill be catching up soon) As far as the coil bracket goes I like it. It still leaves some clutter in the open but it is a change from stock which I think makes it look better. Now is this a STB/Bracket in one or is it an add on to a STB?
I was lucky enough to have this hotchis STB when i though of this idea. I looked at my buddys BMR and it sat up to high IMO. This Hotchis is a low profile STB as you can see and just barly clears the intake and hood at the same time. Im guessing it could be placed on any STB ,but i would go with this one for looks and clearance.I also tryed spinning the coils around to hide the wires behind the STB, but didnt like the look of the coil harness over the plug wires
Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe me or 6 litter will try it on a BMR (STB) which might clean up the cluter look a bit, instead of on this wider hotchis STB ?? It definatly would be cheaper build on the BMR or on the one tube STB, because i know this Hotchis one is a bit pricy LOL
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I have a J&M STB and I can see it being a little harder to attach to than the hotchis, but I could be wrong. But then again now that I look at my setup, it woulnt look nearly as good as yours just because of the placement of the STB in relation to everything else.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

hmm nice idea, interested to see what it would run...
Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I have a J&M STB and I can see it being a little harder to attach to than the hotchis, but I could be wrong. But then again now that I look at my setup, it woulnt look nearly as good as yours just because of the placement of the STB in relation to everything else.
Actualy, I'de more then likely put the coils behind your STB. I'de mount all the coils together like i did on mine and have the side (steel)(rec tubeing) brackets tack welded wherever they needed to be without the coils touching the intake. Ide probably use some type of shim or card board and lay it across the intake like a 1/8 thick piece of cardboard,then lay the coil assembly on that and tack the side brackets into place on your STB.It might even look cleaner then mine does ? I can weld those ends right in the middle of the back side top STB tube,to keep it looking uniform and make cuts into the end tube pieces to get the right bend that i needed to keep the coil assemble centered between the intake and hood It can be done! Maybe ide even set some clay on the top of your STB ,,,to see how much room i have to play with above the STB for the coils?as you can see from mine,half of the coils are above my STB!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good.. Do the wires arc at all by touching?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually If i were to do this on your STB ?The coils would sit in the same spot as mine do! But the illusion of the hotckis going back and under the coil ,gives it a cleaner look IMO
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by barnat
Actually If i were to do this on your STB ?The coils would sit in the same spot as mine do! But the illusion of the hotckis going back and under the coil ,gives it a cleaner look IMO
Yeah, I think it could be done but thats pretty much what I was thinking.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
looks good.. Do the wires arc at all by touching?
Not at all !