Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turtle wax ice products

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turtle wax ice products

Has anyone tried out this full line of stuff? I picked up some of the car wash and spray detailer because I was out of both, and advance was having a sale on it. Since they stopped carrying california gold I figured I would give this a shot before I start ordering car cleaning stuff lol. I know the spray detailer is good, because its the same formula that I use to love that they called Ultimate shine at the time. How about the other stuff though?
Liquid Clay Bar, car wash, wax, how do they stack up to your favorites?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Liquid Clay Bar - Not as effective as a regular Clay Bar
Car Wash - I'm sure it's all the same stuff
Wax - Not sure
Polish - I really like their Polish, I did notice a darker black when I applied it on my car
Old 05-27-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

i used to swear by meguiars quick detailer for the simple stuff,,, but it wont get rid of tough water spots like the ice stuff will,,,,, i have only tried the detailer spray or whatever its called, works very good, and works on pretty much everything, windows, plastic, etc.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Their liquid clay bar does jack crap. I stopped using all the ice stuff and switched to Meguiars after that.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, something about the name "liquid claybar" that just screams "it aint gonna work"
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
yeah, something about the name "liquid claybar" that just screams "it aint gonna work"
Was cheaper than the other claybars at the time and i thought i'd give it whirl, waste of money haha.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aircraft stripper is an excellent liquid claybar, it moves contaminants from the metal.

I'm joking, do not try it.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

I have used a few of the products.....

Turtle Wax Ice Car Wash- I like it, it is nice and sudsy(sp), i.e. foamy and lots of bubbles. Leaves a good finish.

Turtle Wax Liquid Ice- The wax is great. Goes on easy, comes off even easier, after a few applications my car has a excellent layer of protection and the car beeds relentlessly.

Now mind you I also use other products inbetween the other 2.....

Mothers Clay Bar system- Comes with 2 bars vs 1, and a micro fiber towel and the show time detailer.

Maguires Ultimate Quick Detailer- I swear by this stuff, its not expensive and with microfiber towels I can get a car show worthy in a few minutes. I use this between washes and this really gives me the best layer of protection.

If I were to do a complete car I would have this....

2 Buckets of Water, one clean water, the other with the car wash soap
1 Microfiber mitt or "Wool" style, something soft and clean.
Clay bar kit
Quick Detailer
3 Large Microfiber towels (for soaking up excess water) and a bunch of smaller ones for drying, polishing, detailing....
Turtle Wax Ice (liquid wax)

Now mind you, if your car has scratches, swirls etc etc, even after clay barring, you need to get those addressed 1st. After you have done this, then you can seal in the paint. Also if the car has no wax or protectant, the paint may suck up more then normal, so be prepared to do multiple coats, they these do have to cure (approx 12 hrs).

Leave car in cool spot, rinse the heavy stuff off, wash with mitt, dip in clean water before putting it back in the wash. The rinse from top down again. Microfiber the car clean. Clay bar the car, 2 foot section at a time. Then use the quick detailer on the car to get it looking perfect and water free. Then turtle wax ice the car. Buff so there is no residue.

Then at that point let it sit and cure, and if nothing got on the paint (pollen or dust) then re wax. I personally still re quick detail just to be sure.

Since then my car looks brand new for a 43k NBM Trans Am.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

nice little write up there. I don't have any paint issues myself as of right now, and can't even wax my car for three months lol. (Fresh paint!) The shop that painted it says don't worry about it.... but still, at least 3 months instead of the normal 6 I'm going to wait. For now its just washes and detailer for me! I'll give the meguiars detailer a try next time, I used their quick detailer before and didn't like it, will try the ultimate shine next time.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
i used to swear by meguiars quick detailer for the simple stuff,,, but it wont get rid of tough water spots like the ice stuff will,,,,, i have only tried the detailer spray or whatever its called, works very good, and works on pretty much everything, windows, plastic, etc.
I use it all...the liquid wax can go on everything also----no residue at all, hardly.....GOOD STUFF...
Old 05-27-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

good to know, guess that will be my wax between shows then . I'm going with Zymol carbon for shows.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ice car wash - soapy and subsy, one of the best car wash solutions, however the meguiars in the purple bottle costs half as much and is also sudsy

ice spray detailer - works well, but expensive. i would prefer another product based on price

ice liquid wax - its very hard to get all of the residue off. i would call it an oil based wax, too much of it and it wont settle. the wax never "dries" it simply covers the clear coat. wax stays for at most 2-3 weeks or 2-3 washes

ice paste wax - works very well as the top layer sealer over another carnuba wax. however like the liquid wax since it is a synthetic it can have an oily residue if your not careful

what i would suggest
meguiars car wash solution in the purple bottle $3.48 at walmart
quick detail spray to get rid of water spots from wash
a carnuba or similar gold class wax
ice paste wax to cover the carnuba

my car for some reason really likes the meguiars products, specifically swirl X and meguiars gold class. i would reccomend ice to people who have light colored cars, or who do not have a shaded place to wax a car.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

personally i dont buy the 'apply in sunlight' gimic. its not the sunlight thats bad for the wax......its the surface temp. of course it just works out that during summer, when most people detail, its hot in the sun. that doesnt mean you cant apply a megs product in the sun when its only 60 out. thats why when you read the instructions on nearly every quality wax product, it will say 'apply in the shade when surface is clean and cool.'

added note, i dont get much suds from megs regular purple wash. i hardly get any at all, as a matter of fact. it just seems to smear on without bubbles. cleans just as good, but no suds.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid

my car for some reason really likes the meguiars products, specifically swirl X and meguiars gold class. i would reccomend ice to people who have light colored cars, or who do not have a shaded place to wax a car.
I have alot of Maguires products and they Swirl X doesnt work for crap. A good buffer and some chemicals can do the same thing. Even a orbital buffer can work magic.

I also have their gold class wash which didnt suds at all either. Over all disappointed with the results.

I my also mention Blue Corral works wonders and I did like Maguires purple car wash soap.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

meguiars gold wax is some good stuff, i havent waxed since early spring 08 (no need when its broke and on jackstands all the time) and had it out 2 days ago,,, still beads up like i just did it.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

never tried the ice stuff, might give it a try when i run out of meguires. i saw a commerical on it yesterday actually and from what they implied the stuff dries clear or something? so it might be nice to not have wax spots in the hard to reach areas.

as far as soap goes i use this stuff with little tiny gold ***** of wax in it lol forgot what its called but it works great.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried and used all the ICE! I still Do and Swear by it.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are some crappy examples
Attached Thumbnails Turtle wax ice products-image0003.jpg   Turtle wax ice products-image0001.jpg   Turtle wax ice products-image0010.jpg   Turtle wax ice products-image0006.jpg   Turtle wax ice products-image0026.jpg  

Old 05-29-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hlaalu
never tried the ice stuff, might give it a try when i run out of meguires. i saw a commerical on it yesterday actually and from what they implied the stuff dries clear or something? so it might be nice to not have wax spots in the hard to reach areas.

as far as soap goes i use this stuff with little tiny gold ***** of wax in it lol forgot what its called but it works great.
I'm pretty sure that soap you are using is the california gold that I preferred before advance and wal-mart stopped selling it ';..;' ... I loved the job that soap did, but too expensive to use all the time lol.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Living in Florida where the heat is relentless, ICE wax sucks. I tried it a good five or six times but within a week or two all the wax seemed to have left...fried off by the sun. I switched back to McGuire's NXT...that stuff is awesome and it sticks around for a month and a half at minimum. I've spoken to several body shops that only recommend NXT.

Quick Reply: Turtle wax ice products