Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone found graphite interior matching paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone found graphite interior matching paint

I ordered some graphite vinyl/plastic paint from SEM products. Good stuff, but it doesn't match the rest of the interior. I used it to paint my console and it is a shade lighter than the dash that it butts up against. I found a company that makes some that is supposed to be oem certified to match, but they want a minimum order of 6 cans.

Anyone found something that matches the graphite on 93-97 Firebirds?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Graphite from Color Coat is a perfect match...I'm an auto detailer by profession and have repaired many issues in these cars and the Graphite is a PERFECT match
Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yelo
The Graphite from Color Coat is a perfect match...I'm an auto detailer by profession and have repaired many issues in these cars and the Graphite is a PERFECT match
Who makes it? The stuff I got from SEM is called Color Coat, and it is not a match.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt45
Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I don't know what "it's up to you" is supposed to mean. But I would love to know who makes the Color Coat that is a perfect match, or where I can get it.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get the graphite from Color Coat, thats exactly what you need, it really is a perfect match! It's all up to you man!
Old 06-06-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

LOL sorry, I had to

Somebody please help this guy out and give him a decent answer. I'm curious to know as well.....
Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SKZ28
Get the graphite from Color Coat, thats exactly what you need, it really is a perfect match! It's all up to you man!
ROFL!!! Yeah, I knew someone would do that.....SMARTASS!!! J/K

I guess they are talking about the SEM stuff that I used. I found other references to it here where people say it matches. But I am going to post up some pics later today of the stuff I used and a picture that shows how it doesn't match my interior. Maybe the 96 TA's had a different interior color that was darker than graphite??
Old 06-06-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

The '94-'96 is slightly darker....my buddy has one and the Graphite is NOT a perfect match. I didn't look at your sig, sorry. We had to mix a custom dye for his car that was slightly darker than graphite (I'm in the auto reconditioning business so I have access to that kind of stuff). Titanium from Color Coat comes darn close to the color in the '94-'96 though...if you are trying to spot blend a panel it won't work but if you are re-painting an entire panel it'll be fine
Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yelo
The '94-'96 is slightly darker....my buddy has one and the Graphite is NOT a perfect match. I didn't look at your sig, sorry. We had to mix a custom dye for his car that was slightly darker than graphite (I'm in the auto reconditioning business so I have access to that kind of stuff). Titanium from Color Coat comes darn close to the color in the '94-'96 though...if you are trying to spot blend a panel it won't work but if you are re-painting an entire panel it'll be fine
I wondered if that was the case. I knew they had starting offering new interior trim colors in 97+ but I wasn't sure if the graphite changed or not. Thanks for the tip!!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dubga
I wondered if that was the case. I knew they had starting offering new interior trim colors in 97+ but I wasn't sure if the graphite changed or not. Thanks for the tip!!

yeah 93-96 is definately darker than 97-99 (or whenever they discontinued graphite)

IIRC graphite is 93-96 and the newer color is charcoal or something like that. i was hunting for sunvisors last summer and had to stick to 93-96 for a proper color match as the 97+ was a hair lighter (confirmed this at a car cruise by taking off one of my visors and sticking it up next to someone elses, with their permission of course, lol)
Old 06-07-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see that the first guy who said "it's a perfect match...it's up to you" deleted his post. LOL!! I guess he realized it wasn't up to me after all...it was up to GM!!

You mentioned the sunvisor being a different shade as well. Does that mean the carpets don't match either? If that is the case, it makes me wary of ordering new floor mats from aftermarket that are supposed to be graphite. Don't know which years they are matching.

Quick Reply: Anyone found graphite interior matching paint