Rear Seat Delete Done Right!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys.

Let me try to address a few of them.

Storage:

The comments about storage are certainly legitimate. However, this is a weekend, sunny day, and occasional track duty car. I don't need nor want storage. The rear hatch/trunk and passenger seat are more than enough for me.

You could always add doors to this panel, like the other rear seat deletes use. I personally don't like those as the seems are always visible. A better option would be to hinge the panel where it meets the rear hatch deck and then make latches for the bottom (closest to the seats). That way you could open up the whole panel.

Personally, I am thinking about moving my battery to underneath the panel in the rear passenger seat void. This will be a great location, offsetting the driver and keeping the weight low and rear, yet inside the wheelbase.

Weight:

I did not weigh it, but I have some leftover materials about the same size I am going to jump on the scale with to get a better estimate for you all. This is definitely lighter than the rear seats, which I think I read weigh 45 pounds?

That being said, the primary goal of this was aesthetics, not weight savings. I will be upgrading the front seats to black leather from another car and I do not want some mismatched rear seats back there. Especially the factory rainbow cloth one's that were in the car.

I will report back with a weight.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Weight is right at 16 pounds with carpet brackets and all.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks clean. for people complaining about weight, i'm sure you could get these cut in abs plastic and glue the carpet on.

the pictures on your cardomain page were super tiny, so i played with the image url to get the full size pics here...

Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks BobDoLe. For some reason cardomain does not seam to have the option of enlarging the images by clicking on them anymore. Atleast I couldn't find it. All images used to be like that which is why my older images still have the feature. Weird.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

Nice work.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Launching!

looks really good, cleanest ive seen
Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is pretty nice, not bad weight either
Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great but I got enough **** in my car already. Plus, I like the massive cargo room. Great idea, just not for me.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good. Removing the rear seats is by far the best mod I've ever done just due to the !mooch deterrent lol.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

looks clean!
LOL @ the !mooch! comment, thats one of the main reasons I originally took mine out. I caved last summer and put them back in tho.. hot chicks, what can I say..
Old 06-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default rear seat delete

Thats the best seat delete I've ever seen. Nice work, have you thought about selling these?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Unfortunately I don't plan on selling them. It may not look it, but it is a LOT of work. Then again, the first one always is. With one made, I would have the shape perfect right from the start so the in and out, in and out, etc. would not exist. Meh, wouldn't be all that bad probably.

Maybe if I lose my job, haha!

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good aesthetically, but you literally cant put anything back there because its not a flat surface and itd just roll down towards the front seats. I could see it being justified if you had storage underneath, but just for it to be like it is, im not a fan. Only way it'd be ok as is, is if there were subs or something in there, then it could have a reason for being the shape it is.. I dunno, to each their own i suppose
Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks really good man.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

looks good to me. Some people do the rear seat delete for the look, not to cut weight.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula51
Let me know what you guys think. Pictures and information are in cardomain link in signature. Feel free to leave some feedback while you are there and ask me any questions here.

Eddie
I think our cars were built and designed around four seats and when you take them out, you have about 2 extra feet of car that looks completely out of place. It looks horrible no matter how you do it. Yours is the cleanes ive seen, but its going to look akward no matter what you ever do unless you want to cut and chop that part of the car out. Sorry, not a fan, not now, not ever. That looks horrible like you have a picnic table in your car or somewhere to put a sleeping bag. Its a good 5 foot stretch of cargo space now like a cargo van or something. It would look 1,000,000x better WITH your seats in place. You dont want anyone sitting there? get a weld in cage with the rear brace bar. Again, you did a great job, im just not a fan of the concept itself. Plus i enjoy having 4 people in my car. Guess im the black sheep here.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _JB_
Looks good. Removing the rear seats is by far the best mod I've ever done just due to the !mooch deterrent lol.
X2 all the way!

"Hey can we get a ride?"

"No... I only have one other seat"
Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I think our cars were built and designed around four seats and when you take them out, you have about 2 extra feet of car that looks completely out of place. It looks horrible no matter how you do it. Yours is the cleanes ive seen, but its going to look akward no matter what you ever do unless you want to cut and chop that part of the car out. Sorry, not a fan, not now, not ever. That looks horrible like you have a picnic table in your car or somewhere to put a sleeping bag. Its a good 5 foot stretch of cargo space now like a cargo van or something. It would look 1,000,000x better WITH your seats in place. You dont want anyone sitting there? get a weld in cage with the rear brace bar. Again, you did a great job, im just not a fan of the concept itself. Plus i enjoy having 4 people in my car. Guess im the black sheep here.
For reference, the angled part of the panel is only about 26" long from the top of the front ledge to the rear hatch. And that is the actual, as measured length. Perhaps the pictures are throwing it off because there is no perspective. To me a panel just over 2 feet is not very big.

As for it looking out of place, I respect your opinion. You have to work with what you have. I certainly can't section the car and that would make the outside look far worse if I could. I do believe there are some two-seat sports cars out there that are done in a similar way from the factory. The 350z comes to mind.

I personally think it looks much MORE out of place when a low level flat panel is put in. In that case you end up with this big flat wall going up to the hatch shelf where the rear seat back used to be. You also end up with those cut carpet sections over the upper shock mounts exposed and that looks TERRIBLE.

I just couldn't think of a better way to do it. Low flat panel, while functional, looks bad. Big voids from no rear seats at all looks bad. Little tiny, useless, cramped rear seats looks bad. Especially when they are the rainbow cloth! I did the best I could with what GM gave me to work with.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Looks good aesthetically, but you literally cant put anything back there because its not a flat surface and itd just roll down towards the front seats. I could see it being justified if you had storage underneath, but just for it to be like it is, im not a fan. Only way it'd be ok as is, is if there were subs or something in there, then it could have a reason for being the shape it is.. I dunno, to each their own i suppose
You can still put stuff behind the seat. I did not encroach on any of that room. The front ledge of the panel is where the front of the rear seat bottom would have been. I used the same mounting bolt and everything. Technically I actually gained a little room there because the seat cushion actually overhung that mounting location.

As for room, you can easily fit a bookbag, briefcase, shopping bag or two, etc. behind the seat. You could always put stuff in the passenger seat. If you are caring more than that, like if you use your Camaro to go grocery shopping, that's what the trunk is for!

Seriously, what are you guys carrying in your F-bodies? I never have more than a CD book and maybe an umbrella.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

I hear ya bro! Mine are gone and gone for good along with the 30lbs. or so. In process of building carpeted delete section. Yours looks real good.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Delete Done Right!