Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Starting a self-employed Detailing business! Looking for advice on product/technique

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im interested to see how your guys DETAILING actually looks like with those products .. IMo more low end " grassroots" and not very professional but hey .. if the results come out then I guess so
Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dabest09
i'm doing it for the summer so i can make enough money for a down payment on a car. and then i'll see where it takes me if i get enough people who want me to do their cars. and what do you mean go buy from a body shop? i'm confused
the detailing distributors are constantly at the body shops selling their products. You need to find a local detailing distributor selling products.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboZ28408
im interested to see how your guys DETAILING actually looks like with those products .. IMo more low end " grassroots" and not very professional but hey .. if the results come out then I guess so
'low end'? I use Adams products but I'm not going to overpay for product when other stuff will do the same thing. The stuff from stores.... Meguiars and Mothers are fine but not exactly "High End", they just have more advertising. so much of the detail is in the technique. Talk to a detailer who has been in the business for awhile. You learn to survive in this business by keeping your expenses to a minimum
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

who ever said it was a professional job? the point of this thread is to get information how others do their work so i can learn the correct way to do things before i go and mess up a car with the wrong products or procedures. i'm not looking to make a ton of money off of this. and i'm not going to make a living out of doing it. its for the summer for now
Old 07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Doing the job right and attention to detail will make a much bigger difference than how much you pay for the products. Doing things to a clients car that they never would have thought to do themselves will make them come back for more. Things like cleaning the door jams and putting dressing on the weatherstripping will set you apart from an average person who cleans their own car and will make your services worth it to your client.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure where your coming from. There are alot of guys on here that do some bad *** work. Check any of the threads that mention "just detailed", etc. and look at the pictures. There are at least a few new ones everyday. If you have something to contribute then post some useful information or pictures.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

maybe we should turn this into a thread of budget details done right. every body can post their processes and throw in some pictures. This could help people save some money by showing them they can have good results without spending a whole paycheck on supplies.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gwoodtitans
maybe we should turn this into a thread of budget details done right. every body can post their processes and throw in some pictures. This could help people save some money by showing them they can have good results without spending a whole paycheck on supplies.
that is mainly what i'm trying to get to. obviously you can use any type of product you choose. but some might have more experience and have tried different products that work better than others and could possibly be a better price
Old 07-03-2009, 02:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMO, if the paint you're detailing is in pretty good shape, any over the counter stuff will make it look good. But if the paint needs some serious correction, you will need some better stuff. Take for example my hood that i had painted a while back. It had some swirls in it after the paintjob. First I tried some adams swirl remover/polish and it didnt do sh*t lol. I had to use menzerna powergloss and a yellow pad to get em out. For quick/easy details I like the Adam's line. For a more in depth detail I use the menzerna line with a few other products. I'm detailing my friends s2k tomorrow, it's white, hopefully I can get it lookin good with the Adam's line lol.

Quick Reply: Starting a self-employed Detailing business! Looking for advice on product/technique