Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Starting a self-employed Detailing business! Looking for advice on product/technique

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a self-employed Detailing business! Looking for advice on product/technique

Hello guys,

I plan on opening a self employed detailing business, I'm currently a full-time student at University of Houston so don't have enough time to hold a sturdy job, but I live in a nice area and detailing can bring in some nice cash.

I was curious what you guys would recommend as far as brand names of products and so forth?

I've usually been a fan of Black Magic and for Wax I used Turtle Wax, I'm not to familiar of the higher end products, just never got around to trying them (Zaino/Tropicare). As far as Price goes I was planning on charging $50 for a full detail (Including:Hand Wax, detail inside, wash outside, Tire Wet all the usual). Then charge like $35-$40 for everything but the Hand wax.

I'm 18 so keep in mind its not going to be like some of the professional grade Detailing companies but I would like it to still be rather impressive..

I just wanted to know what products you recommended before I start this plan up..
Old 06-27-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would really like to know as well. i'm 18 just starting college and cannot find a job because nodbody is hiring i think the prices would be different for different cars such as SUVs compared to cars
Old 06-27-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as products, I would try different products and see what you like. Some are easier to use than others. Meguires and Mothers have some nice products that can be purchased in the store. I have used both Zaino and Tropi-Care and I am now a dealer for Tropi-Care in the Houston Area. Not sure how long you have been detailing cars, but the more vehicles you work on the more comfortable you get with working on someone elses vehicle. Word of mouth from satified customers can build your business fast. It can also go the other direction if the vehicle is damaged. I started many years ago and have built up a good client list. It is a part time business for me, but can easily add up to more hours than my "real" job. You can also search some detailing sites and talk to local detailer's to get an idea on the services provided. As far as prices, it varies with the vehicle. Paint condition, size, etc all factor into the price. You also need to find out how long it will take to detail the vehicle. For $50 it wouldn't take long for you to be on the losing end. Three, four, five hours in the hot Houston sun??? It has to be worth your time and effort. Don't sell yourself short. If your good and the customers are satified, the business will come. Good Luck !!

Last edited by 99zee; 06-27-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Wax- Collinite 845, 476
Sealant- Zaino
Compound- Megs 105
Finishing polish- Menzerna FP2 or Zaino ZPC
Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

like everyone says, the pricing depends on the area and the cars. I charge 165 on a car and 225 on an suv. I try to make myself available to higher end cars. The clients are more picky but word of mouth seems to get around better. I like to target Dr. offices etc. They still have money but no time to do their own cars. In my opinion, if you do a full detail properly, it can take 5 hours depending on the shape of the paint. Look at Adams polishes. Their stuff is a little pricey but very easy to use. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

can i see an example of a written up price list? like what you would charge for different things like just a wash, or wash and wax, or full detail, etc.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Ive tinkered with this idea many times, once you get a few satisfied clients, that's when you know if your going to make it or wash out, good luck tho. hope for the best.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dabest09
can i see an example of a written up price list? like what you would charge for different things like just a wash, or wash and wax, or full detail, etc.
call around to the competitors in your area. Tell them you want to get a car done and ask what they charge. this will give you an idea of what you can charge. Make sure a full detail is 'full' and find out what that includes. A lot of detailers dont do a good job on things like the engine, door jambs, edges of hood, underneath hood, etc.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

I was in the exact same situation you were in. I charge $100 for vans, trucks, suvs and
$80 for smaller cars. It usually takes around 6 hours for a truck and 4 hours for a car. Thats if i dont take a lunch break. I usually spend $35 on supplies for every 3-4 vehicles. When it comes to what products you use it all depends on what you can use with minimal effort in order to provide a quality service and prompt turn around time. I watch my prices and shop around for my products. Look at the adds in the sunday paper for deals on products. I get alot of my stuff from autozone because I get a point for every purchase of $20 or more and 5 points= $20 back so its worth it to me. Here is my product list:

Meguires deep crystal car wash: $3-5
Zep big orange for road oil: $16 a gallon
armor all wheel cleaner: $6-8
mothers or meguires clay bar: $16-18
meguires quick detail spray: $8 per 32 oz.
armor all spray: $6
eagle one or meguires hot shine tire spray: --
turtle wax bug and tar remover:--
car brite revive: $34
meguires nxt 2.0 tech wax: $18
stoner invisible glass: --

Of course prices can vary but like I said you just have to keep an eye out for sales.
You should also factor in sponges, buckets, rags, brushes, vaccumes, towells and whatever else you need to get the job done. If you do a good job, your business will grow by word of mouth. I do alot of farm trucks because farmers talk to everybody and spread my business for me. I also put out flyers. I usually pick up the vehicles and take them to my house but I am willing to go to the vehicle as long as they have soft water and some shade. You definately learn to be more efficient as you go along and you will be making some decent money in no time.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just finished a full detail basically. wash wax full interior for a family friend. it was a toyota tundra four door with an 8 foot bed. huge truck. and i'm also doing her tahoe today. full detail also. what should i charge for both?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

i just finished a full detail basically. wash wax full interior for a family friend. it was a toyota tundra four door with an 8 foot bed. huge truck. and i'm also doing her tahoe today. full detail also. what should i charge for both?
depends on what others are charging in your area. I charge $225 for large SUV's and trucks. Did you cut the paint or polish out scratches? that would be a full detail. Just a wash and quick wax with interior clean I would ask $125-150
Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a lot of different levels of detail, from the 4 hour ones described above which should be around $100-$150 to full two-day details which include multiple paint correction passes.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm not ready for paint correction yet. seems too hard right now lol. and unless it is a really nice car people in my area won't want a two day full detail with paint correction and everything. eventually that is something i want to get into though.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm intresting thread.. I would like to see where this is going
Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I do all my detailing at at a shop in new lenox and I get my cars detailed and buffed out in about 6-8 hours.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

its funny the person who started this thread hasn't replied yet lol. i got one more question. what products do you guys recommend for doing the interior? like the different surfaces. armor all looks horrible if done wrong. my main problem is cleaning off the door panels and getting marks out of them
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

its funny the person who started this thread hasn't replied yet lol. i got one more question. what products do you guys recommend for doing the interior? like the different surfaces. armor all looks horrible if done wrong. my main problem is cleaning off the door panels and getting marks out of them
if you are trying to do this for a living, it will be more cost effective to stop by a body shop and ask where they get their products. Go buy from that guy and you will save in the long run. As for the door panels....there is a product called 'cleans all' that is good. get a detail brush (large looking toothbrush), a towel, your product, and compressed air. Wet the door panel down and start scrubbing, especially where anyone's arm rests. Use the compressed air to get the product out of the cracks while you are wiping it up. if you are cleaning leather panels, use a leather cleaner and conditioner.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Guys, simple green is a great product to have while detailing. I use it to clean tires and wheels as well as floor mats. Works very well.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bracketracerZ28
if you are trying to do this for a living, it will be more cost effective to stop by a body shop and ask where they get their products. Go buy from that guy and you will save in the long run. As for the door panels....there is a product called 'cleans all' that is good. get a detail brush (large looking toothbrush), a towel, your product, and compressed air. Wet the door panel down and start scrubbing, especially where anyone's arm rests. Use the compressed air to get the product out of the cracks while you are wiping it up. if you are cleaning leather panels, use a leather cleaner and conditioner.
i'm doing it for the summer so i can make enough money for a down payment on a car. and then i'll see where it takes me if i get enough people who want me to do their cars. and what do you mean go buy from a body shop? i'm confused
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Sorry been real busy guys, thanks alot for all the advice I have an idea on what I'm going to use, all I gotta do is come up with my price list and I should be set, I'll let you know how it goes

Quick Reply: Starting a self-employed Detailing business! Looking for advice on product/technique