Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What towels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What towels?

What kind of towels is everyone using to wash car? Zaino site says 100% USA made cotton towels like feildcrest and cannon but they arnt made in the usa. I am using micros right now but have notice fine scratches in my paint.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

to wash the car? or dry? I use a big waffle weave to dry. If you're using towels to wash your car, maybe you're seeing fine scratches because the towel isnt thick enough to hold the dirt so its leaving it at the surface of the towel and scratching your paint.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

never use a towel to wash or dry the car. i have a MF mit to wash, and the absorber to dry. i used a waffle weave from tropi-care before, and it SUCKS. all it did was smear the water around, without absorbing anything. i had to follow EVERY wash with a wax or detail.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ben77
to wash the car? or dry? I use a big waffle weave to dry. If you're using towels to wash your car, maybe you're seeing fine scratches because the towel isnt thick enough to hold the dirt so its leaving it at the surface of the towel and scratching your paint.
I agree. Don't use ANY towel to wash your car. Waffle weaves work really well to dry your car just wash them seperately so you don't get any Detailers or wax on them,(it keeps them from absorbing water). Also try using the two bucket method.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sstg
Waffle weaves work really well to dry your car just wash them seperately so you don't get any Detailers or wax on them,(it keeps them from absorbing water). Also try using the two bucket method.
you may think it does, but try it on a black car.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
you may think it does, but try it on a black car.
I have, I own a Detailing Co. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used to have a problem with the towels till i figured out how to use them without spotting... i just take one small MF drying towel and wipe the car down and get the majority of the water off... but a lot of it will still smear... and then go over the car again with a dry towel to take the smears off.... havent had a problem with water spots once i finally figured out that worked for me... i just try to push the water off the car so there is a lot less to work with because the windows alone would fill a 20x40 towel up in no time and after that its soaking wet and smears like crazy, but doing it this way seems to work well for me, even on black cars
Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

after trying the absorber, im hooked on that. it picks up as much water as my old natural chamios did, without streaking or leaving residue. i can, for once, wash and dry my car and not have to detail after.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have used absorderd for 10 years now, and thats the only thing ill ever use to dry a car. i agree, the waffle weave stuff only smears the water and are harder to wring out than the absorber. also, keeping a good coat of wax on the car will help the drying process when you wash it again. in the winter, ill use a leaf blower to get all the heavy water off, and then hit it with the absorber to get the little streaks that were left behind.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

I was just cussing about my waffle weave yesterday. All it did was smear the water and leave streaks.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a leaf blower, then go over it if i have to with quick detailer, and a microfiber. The less you have to touch the paint, the better. And, with a leaf blower, it will blow out around all your lights and other spots that like to hold water, and run out on you later.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WAFFLEWEAVE is the only way to go, Use Zaino microfiber towels for your polish..
Old 07-11-2009, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

waffle weaves are only effective unless you have about 4 per car.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I switched from the absorber to waffle weave, way better. You just gotta get a good one. All you gotta do after you wash your car is go over it with free flowing water and if you have good protection on it, the water will just sheet off the car leaving only a few drops. One pass with a waffle weave and its dry.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Sry I meant to dry the car. I use a mr MIT to wash it. What towels is everyone using to take off polish and waxes?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

yeah waffles suck. might work on a light color, but im not buying 5 towels just to dry the car when a single absorber will work.

Originally Posted by BlkT/A01
Sry I meant to dry the car. I use a mr MIT to wash it. What towels is everyone using to take off polish and waxes?
not towels. a high quality MF is for removing polish/wax. unless you can find a very good, very quality terry cloth, id stay with MF. its actually easier to find them then it is terry. i did buy a good terry from a meguiars rep a few years ago. they do take off wax easier and faster, since its way more absorbent then MFs. real cotton baby diapers are also a good choice, if you can find them. otherwise, check out name brand MFs, like meguiars, tropicare, poorboys, etc.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but im not buying 5 towels just to dry the car
I use 1 Waffle weave.

From the Pro's at Autopia, Waffle Weaves are recommended by practicly everyone!!
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ing-towel.html

Last edited by Cheetoh; 07-11-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
never use a towel to wash or dry the car. i have a MF mit to wash, and the absorber to dry. i used a waffle weave from tropi-care before, and it SUCKS. all it did was smear the water around, without absorbing anything. i had to follow EVERY wash with a wax or detail.
I have 3 Absorbers....although I have no use for them.
They swirl the **** out of my paint....one little thing gets under there and it drags on the clear.

I use Sonus waffle weave towels to dry. Just make sure it is completely dry when you start to dry the car.
I know people that have used cheaper towels and gotten the results of those that have posted complaining about waffle weaves....BUT the Sonus ones are top notch. One dry one will dry the entire car (minus windows, which I normally use the absorbers for) without wringing it out.
I use lambskin mitts to wash.

These....

Last edited by Mr. Luos; 07-11-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
I have 3 Absorbers....although I have no use for them.
They swirl the **** out of my paint....one little thing gets under there and it drags on the clear.

I use Sonus waffle weave towels to dry. Just make sure it is completely dry when you start to dry the car.
I know people that have used cheaper towels and gotten the results of those that have posted complaining about waffle weaves....BUT the Sonus ones are top notch. One dry one will dry the entire car (minus windows, which I normally use the absorbers for) without wringing it out.
I use lambskin mitts to wash.

These....
Same ones I use, best waffle weaves out there IMO. No streaking on glass or paint. I stopped using the absorber because it has zero plush which means anything caught on it will scratch the paint.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:46 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheetoh
WAFFLEWEAVE is the only way to go,
I agree.

Quick Reply: What towels?