Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID's on my TA

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scira
I have the eurolamps conversion housings, which are essentially the same thing. It took a bit to adjust them right, but I haven't had any problems with police or people flashing their lights at me
Its still illegal to have HIDs in a reflector housing, and here in Ca you dont get away with it for long. Everyone i know who has tried has got a moving violation! They don't even bother with the fix it tickets for these. Texas may have different laws, i'm not sure
Old 07-25-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Its still illegal to have HIDs in a reflector housing, and here in Ca you dont get away with it for long. Everyone i know who has tried has got a moving violation! They don't even bother with the fix it tickets for these. Texas may have different laws, i'm not sure
HID's are illegal to manufacture and distribute into a vehicle that was not originally equipped with them from the factory. projector setup's are just as illegal

that being said an officer can give you a ticket for just about anything, blinding blue lights are just another excuse for you to be pulled over, a projector setup makes you much less of a target

just depends on how balsy you want to be, and how much attention you want on your car at night

i plan on installing some in my girlfriends ta just to make it stand out more, we dont get in any trouble and want people to know where we are on the road at night
Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Fog light pic's

Old 07-26-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know how long I'd get away with it in Dallas/Fort Worth, but the cops down here in S.A. are pretty lenient when it comes to moving violations
Old 07-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

looks good
Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where in california are you>?

i have never had any problems with HIDs and cops in cali nor has any of my friends?
just depends on time and place
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Those look great man, good job matchin up the fogs too. Question though, what color temperature did you go with? Also, was wondering the same for you Scira? I want HID's bad, seein your guys makes me want em more
Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Birdcountry02
Those look great man, good job matchin up the fogs too. Question though, what color temperature did you go with? Also, was wondering the same for you Scira? I want HID's bad, seein your guys makes me want em more
The lowbeams are 10k and the fogs are 5k. The fogs aren't as blue though i should have gotten 8k fogs.

Thanks too
Old 07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

8ks here. Will have 5k fogs going in next month
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

When I read the update about the fog light conversion majestyk had done, it seems as if he is suffering from lens/housing meltdown, which is progressing.

Did you go the same foglight upgrade path?
Have you seen any evidence of melting?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive talked to a few guys who come to a local car show and sell and install hids on anything and they both told me to get the stock headlight and basiclly remove the stock sealed light and just putting in the a 9006 bulb and resealing it. Would that work as well or would it be too blinding?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks good man.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Bit the bullet today...
I ordered a pair of Bosch HL21001 housings, and Hella 90mm bare fogs from Rallylights.
The plan is to install those in place of the existing lamps, switch to heavier wiring (especially for the fogs which are getting upgraded from 880 27w) and run H4/H7 lighting.
I will try and document that in a set of photos.

Now I also ordered a 55w 4500k HID kit, for the Eurolamps from DDMTuning. My goal is to have everything wired such that all it takes is swapping out bulbs and reconnecting connectors, and I can run with the original kit.

I am probably going to hold off on HID fogs, as Dave (Rallylights) was very confident that the 55w 90mm projectors would do an awesome job as a fog light. I did consider Optilux 2500 Angel eye driving lights instead, but was concerned that those would be far too bright for late night inter-suburban use.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zerokube
Ive talked to a few guys who come to a local car show and sell and install hids on anything and they both told me to get the stock headlight and basiclly remove the stock sealed light and just putting in the a 9006 bulb and resealing it. Would that work as well or would it be too blinding?

No i don't think that will work you need to affix the bulb so it doesn't move. From what i can see a 9006 bulb would fit in there but it would fallout.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if running the eurolights light (i have) YOU NEED THE H7 KIT.

the thing with re-sealing the bulbs is the heat the HID produces will sometime cuase the jb weld to loosen and could eventually break your bulb then your kit is worthless
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, the cutoff, or lack there of, will cause issues. You will blind oncoming traffic. The pics show why you need to use a projector setup to get the look correct. This setup, not only being blue to the point where cops will notice, gives off lots of glare above the cutoff line. Below is a link of my projectors on, as you will notice there is no glare on the lamps. This is no tricks, no filter on the camera.

http://www.fuelslut.net/ihost/files/...n_04092009.jpg

Ryan

Last edited by slow; 08-24-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
Below is a link of my projectors on, as you will notice there is no glare on the lamps.
Hm..... that looks familiar....
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Talking 55w 4500k HIDs

Hi.

First of all, thank you to everyone that posted in this thread as well as other related ones. After driving my T/A in the Pac NW for 10 years, and cursing the darkness, I decided to light a pair of candles and upgrade the headlamps as per this thread.

The HID kit I ordered was from DDM Tuning - and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the bulb had a shield running below the element, see at an angle on the upper bulb.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.p...ictureid=32481

The Bosch housings went in easily. Running the actual wiring harness took a bit longer as I wanted to ensure that the wiring was covered in plastic flex and was anchored solidly to avoid rattling.

In the dark ages, the OEM sealed beam headlights provided this light:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.p...ictureid=32483
This shot was taken from within the vehicle. Now, just for comparison, the next shot also has the OEM fog lights on. I think one or two pixels might be slightly brighter. A clear giveaway.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.p...ictureid=32484

I installed a heavy duty wiring harness and mounted the relays off the fuse box, as shown below. Before you ask why I tucked them to the side, I have another relay coming on the next project.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.p...ictureid=32482

So, a Saturday morning full of nicks, minor scrapes, and a wife ready to throttle me (which was not meant in a vehicular sense), and now the money shot. This was taken with the headlights at exactly 25 ft. from the garage door, precisely aligned, from behind the vehicle. I tinkered with the headlights to adjust them and they seem reasonable.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.p...ictureid=32479
They are pretty darn bright. I drove up and down the street and had my son spot me. He felt the glare was fairly low. I will tinker a bit more to get the alignment right over the next day or two and then call it done before my wife loses patience.

Next weekend, I hope to begin on the mounts for the 90mm Hella fog lamps.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-06-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: fixed images
Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The images weren't showing up so I fixed the references and provided links in case they don't show up for some people.

Also, it seems that two of the pictures posted are the same one (same ID). Did you intend to do that?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VIP1
The images weren't showing up so I fixed the references and provided links in case they don't show up for some people.

Also, it seems that two of the pictures posted are the same one (same ID). Did you intend to do that?
Thanks, it makes a difference. The last pic should not be 32484, but instead I was trying to show the relay shot in the album.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php...ictureid=32482

The glare did not seem too bad. Any opinions on the cutoff?

Quick Reply: HID's on my TA