Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Inside Headlight Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Inside Headlight Cleaning?

Anyone have any tips or tricks to cleaning the inside of the headlight lens without taking it apart? It seems after I did the whistler mod, my right headlight has a light "haze" on the inside of it. You can tell it is noticeably foggier then my left headlight. I am assuming this was caused by the fumes from the black paint that I used. It was clear forever, but now that the lights (heat from the them) has been on i'm sure that is what caused it.

I was trying to think of a way to stick a towel through the bulb holes and try to clean that haze off but haven't been successful. Anyone ever have to do this before, if so what did you use?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't think there is a way, it seems to be a chemical from the paint so it won't evaporate out of there. you might have to take it apart after all
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 355 Likes on 268 Posts

you could try getting some large pipe cleaners with a window cleaner.

dont know how well it would work but its a thought
Old 09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got the same problem.... i gota touch up my left headlight a bit... a little fog on both headlights - ill prolly do it in a couple weekends
Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

You more likely than not have a chemical burn on the lens . It happens when u dont allow the paint to fully cure before you re-assemble the lights . Even though they may seem dry to touch , as they cure fully it will still give out a fume that will qwickly etch the plastic , and once they start to etch the plastic over time will break down and the problem will get worse . Also , try not to let to much of the sealent ooze into the housing when reassemble , Ive had the fume from the sealant do the same thing to the lens before as well . When Ive done this , I typically try to let the bezels set out a couple days before reassembly . And unfortunately once a lens is chemically etched it ruins it . You can attempt to wet sand the damaged plastic down and buff it back out( which is complete nightmare in itself on the INSIDE of lens ) , but typically , when the lights are on or bright sunlight shines on it , you can see the tiny little spider webbing that embedded into the plastic that may not be very apparant on a cloudy day with the headlights off .

Crappy deal , but ya live and learn .
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply guys.. I did stick a toothbrush inside there and can easily scrape off the haze on the lens so if I can get some cleaner and a towel in there it will come off.

Quick Reply: Inside Headlight Cleaning?