Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

best way to clean inside of rim......

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redfbird99
steel wool wheel would be a horrible idea. I've had good luck just putting the wheels in our car wash and first soaking them with the wheel/tire cleaner of the car wash, and then power washing them. There are many wheel cleaners out there that you could put on it to eat away the grime as well. if your wheels are no longer clearcoated you then could use blingmaster on the metal. How it sounds you have never cleaned them inside? My current car was purchased spotless, so now anytime I'm going to a show or cruise-in (a couple times a month) I just spray detailer behind there and wipe them with a towel. (i have access to a lift at all times though)
have u even ever used steel wool. Steel wool 000 is probably less abrasive than some of the cleaners people are mentioning. Ive used steel wool to take pitting grime off of chrome and aluminum. + why would it matter what he uses to take off the crap behind the wheel, I can gaurantee you couldnt notice if you even had 400 grit sandpaper scratches from the outside of the wheel. Clearcoat is a non issue if theres crap stuck to the aluminum that doesnt come off with basic dish soap. That basically means u have nothing left anyways. Powerwashing would be a good idea if you have your wheels off and arent worried about taking the wheels back to a tire shop to have them weighted again, because a pressure washer will take those weights right off.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraz
have u even ever used steel wool. Steel wool 000 is probably less abrasive than some of the cleaners people are mentioning. Ive used steel wool to take pitting grime off of chrome and aluminum. + why would it matter what he uses to take off the crap behind the wheel, I can gaurantee you couldnt notice if you even had 400 grit sandpaper scratches from the outside of the wheel. Clearcoat is a non issue if theres crap stuck to the aluminum that doesnt come off with basic dish soap. That basically means u have nothing left anyways. Powerwashing would be a good idea if you have your wheels off and arent worried about taking the wheels back to a tire shop to have them weighted again, because a pressure washer will take those weights right off.
Yea, I'm getting the wool tomorrow.

Also, about the tire weights. I have two brand new tires ready to go on the rears so I'm gonna yank those off, clean the rims, then drive to the tire place tomorrow or the next after I get these things clean and get the new ones mounted. Wish I had a badass pressure washer. But I think the steel wool or wire brush attachment on my drill will do well.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished cleaning some wheel barrels and all I can say is stoner Tarminator!!! available at Oreilly. Also to seal the wheels once finished I recommend poorboys wheel sealant, leaves the wheel super slick and prevents brake dust from adhering to them ever again.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Steel Wool, the most abrasive one I could get.....and Goo-Off.

Worked like a charm....sprayed it on heavy, let it sit for about 1 minute. Then started rubbing with the steel wool, it came right off. As I rubbed it turned into black, thick tar looking crap. I then took a hose and it washed off clean.

No scratches, nice and new looking.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Steel Wool, the most abrasive one I could get.....and Goo-Off.

Worked like a charm....sprayed it on heavy, let it sit for about 1 minute. Then started rubbing with the steel wool, it came right off. As I rubbed it turned into black, thick tar looking crap. I then took a hose and it washed off clean.

No scratches, nice and new looking.

Sweet - Now never let them get that dirty again!!!

LoL
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

time patience and care always get the best results.
and i agree that steel wool is a terrible idea lol
Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TUMBLRws6
time patience and care always get the best results.
and i agree that steel wool is a terrible idea lol
You would be WRONG

Quick Reply: best way to clean inside of rim......