Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

best way to clean inside of rim......

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default best way to clean inside of rim......

I'm talking about years worth of the black grime. They're stock WS6 rims.

I was thinking of getting an attachment for a drill, like a steel wool wheel, and go at it with that.

Unless there's something that can be sprayed on to eat up.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 261 Posts

do a search for blingmaster i think he had a post not long ago selling a product for exactly what you are talking about, and showed pics of the process.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steel wool wheel would be a horrible idea. I've had good luck just putting the wheels in our car wash and first soaking them with the wheel/tire cleaner of the car wash, and then power washing them. There are many wheel cleaners out there that you could put on it to eat away the grime as well. if your wheels are no longer clearcoated you then could use blingmaster on the metal. How it sounds you have never cleaned them inside? My current car was purchased spotless, so now anytime I'm going to a show or cruise-in (a couple times a month) I just spray detailer behind there and wipe them with a towel. (i have access to a lift at all times though)
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
do a search for blingmaster i think he had a post not long ago selling a product for exactly what you are talking about, and showed pics of the process.
agreed. from what ive seen blingmaster works GREAT for this. if you search
z06_joe im pretty sure he sells some also
Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

Well, I used to clean them every week, along with cleaning the car. But I've let that go for a few years and its friggin thick.

I do not have the clear coat anymore on the face of my rims, took that off last year to polish them myself.

I took the clear coat off with Aircraft Paint Stripper. But that paint stripper did absolutely nothing to the black grime.

If "blingmaster" is stronger than that stuff, maybe it'll work.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redfbird99
steel wool wheel would be a horrible idea.
What could the steel wool wheel do to it? Awhile ago before it got real bad I used a piece of steel wool and cleaned the inside by hand, just rubbing it with medium pressure. It all came off using that and some acetone. Worked great and left it shiny.

Maybe a drill on medium speed will do ok??? Don't know.

This ****, right now, is THICK and hard.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

I looked up the Blingmaster stuff. Looks like another aluminum polish for the outside face of the rim.

I'm talking about the "inside" surface of the rim all the way around it.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
I looked up the Blingmaster stuff. Looks like another aluminum polish for the outside face of the rim.

simple green? If youve used steel wool before its probably already scratched up so I guess that would work again for you?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

simple green and something to scrub worked good for me
Old 09-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Launching!

If it's too tough, let it soak with simple green or some other degreaser (gunk engine, some sort of solvent that penetrates dust and etc, WD40, brake cleaner, PB Penetrating Catalyst) and if it comes off with a brush great, if not, powerwash the **** out of it.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Lanes wheel acid cleaner will take it right off in a jiffy. The key is to dilute it to about 1oz acid:6 parts water, and work quick, but it will make them look new again. I use this stuff of stock chrome Firehawk rims and it made them look new again. But, dilute and work quick...or you could hurt the finish, but when done correctly, all that crap will disappear.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I have tried to get an answer to this question several time with no luck.
I am going to try some cleaner wax and if that does not work maybe vinigar.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just used simple green with a wheel brush. Comes off, just need to work it a bit.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shippershack
Lanes wheel acid cleaner will take it right off in a jiffy. The key is to dilute it to about 1oz acid:6 parts water, and work quick, but it will make them look new again. I use this stuff of stock chrome Firehawk rims and it made them look new again. But, dilute and work quick...or you could hurt the finish, but when done correctly, all that crap will disappear.
Is that stuff sold locally.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What could the steel wool wheel do to it? Awhile ago before it got real bad I used a piece of steel wool and cleaned the inside by hand, just rubbing it with medium pressure. It all came off using that and some acetone. Worked great and left it shiny.
That will work great if you know when to stop. You want to steel wool it enough to take off the grime, but stop before it can do anything to the surface.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
That will work great if you know when to stop. You want to steel wool it enough to take off the grime, but stop before it can do anything to the surface.
Yeah, I'm gonna do it. I let "Goo-Off" sit on today for 1 hour, did nothing. Then I sprayed brake cleaner on it and let a puddle of it sit on it for over an hour, did nothing.
Its gonna need some frictional contact for sure to get this **** off. If I touch the surface a little it won't matter really, its not like you can see that aprt of the inside of the rim, unless you actually kneel down with your face right up to the rim.

But I here ya, I'll do it very slowly and stop just before it gets all the way through the grime, then do the rest by hand. I'll test a spot all the way on the inside edge of the rim before hitting the outside area thats visible.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Launching!

So you don't want to bring out the power washer?! Darn, what ever happened to more power! LoL

Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
So you don't want to bring out the power washer?! Darn, what ever happened to more power! LoL

Good Luck!
You mean a pressure washer? Don't have one.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Ijust did my Torq Thruster 2's alum rims. i used my electric high pressure washer (1350 psi ) not no gas powered one. got real close to the grime and blasted it off, pushed the SS a lil and did the spots i could get at first time, sprayed simple green on them with a spray bottle full strenghth, let em sit for a hour or two and then sprayed dow bathroom cleaner on them and let it sit for a hour or two keeping them wet looking by spraying simple green and scrubbing bubbles once it got kinda dry looking. Hit em agian with the power washerto get all the chems off and last but nut least used Mothers Aluminum wheel polish and buffed the dog snot out of em. this took all day and 10 Samuel Adams and a flippin boat load of elbow grease but they look pretty good.

my advice is to take the rim off.
1. power wash at car wash
2. load a old towel with simple green and scrub by hand
3. get a power ball made by foose or mothers and polish the crap out of em with a gritty polishing compound.
4. then polish with something softer like mothers wheel polish.

or you can power wash em and paint em black like i am gonna do to mine next time i waste a whole flippin saturday trying to clean a spot of my cxar that dont matter.
And i think a blacked based aluminum rim would look preet good IMO...:c hug:

\
Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Originally Posted by 2001pewterbird
agreed. from what ive seen blingmaster works GREAT for this. if you search
z06_joe im pretty sure he sells some also

Here is the thread that was being reffered to above. I don't know if it will work but you can decide for yourself. BTW Blingmaster is another product he sells for metal polishing.

This is the product write up for the inside of the rim!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ep-inside.html

Quick Reply: best way to clean inside of rim......