Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Those with VFN hoods..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been stated so many times it's ridiculous, but the ram air stickers were left on during the cast so you could apply your stickers in the correct spot. So, they offer to help you, you decline, and then you come here bitching and moaning about it fitting poorly? Sweet dude.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea this thread has taken a turn for the worse. I wasn't trying to start a VFN bashing thread. I was just curious if the poor fitment that I had was normal....
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Yea this thread has taken a turn for the worse. I wasn't trying to start a VFN bashing thread. I was just curious if the poor fitment that I had was normal....
Agreed.

On another note its not normal. Common though it seems.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I'm not on the payroll, so I suggest you stop telling people I am. You can take the comments however you want, the bottom line is that from what I've seen on this forum alone, most people have zero idea how to align a hood. Your car is setup and the parts are all aligned at the factory, granted but every car is different. You can go buy an OEM hood and put it on your car and it will still need an adjustment.

I say check the car because if it has been in an accident and the panels have been realigned after the repair, that could cause the hood to not line up properly. I haven't seen any constructive comments from you on what to do, so I certainly would appreciate that before you jump on me, you add to the discussion, not take it off on a tangent about things that are factually incorrect.

Having said that, there are a variety of things that could be the problem at hand, and as several others have said, VFN included, sending pictures will help them remedy the problem.

BTW, Bird of Prey, did you contact them after you were quoted by the body shop? Did you go for a second opinion? Or are you just posting up that you had issues and sticking in a dig at me? And Blue, I'd love to take a shot at what you posted but I can't make heads or tails of what you are saying. In fact, you might even be the first person I've ever seen say that they had to grind on fender bolts.

Then again, I'll say anything to stay on payroll If you guys feel the need to continue talking, PM me and keep it out of the thread.
I'm saying that the fender bolts hit the hood for some reason, the gaps look good for me but they hit the VFN hood's sides, It's taken the paint off right where the bolts are when it shuts down to close. I haven't grinded anything yet, I already have the scratches dug into the hood on both sides of the hood and it closes fine. Just was hitting the sides and taking paint off. I was thinking that the sides of the hood flare out a bit and this may be why they were hitting the hood. My seems are gaped perfectly all the way around and it's all flush with the fenders just like it should be. Perfect fit but the grill insert tab is broke and the fender bolts hit the sides of the hood. I still recommend these hoods to people because they bring out a bad *** aggressive look. I'm sure the body shop made some money off my insurance company as far as with the expensive hood and bumper install. I replaced my bumper because the clear coat was spiderweb'd real bad and had a crack by the turn signal light! Living in the country back in the day took a toll on the front of my car with rocks and ****. To get the hood and bumber have it installed, modified, prep'd and painted it was right around $3200, insurance covered everything but my $500 deductible! If you can afford to have a shop to install, prep and pain the hood then so be it. Now all I need is a SS spoiler to make the car! ideas on where to get this one and will any ss hood fit a 94. I like the 98-02 style best because of the pillars in the middle, JMO
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

When I bolted my sunoco hood on, I had no clue how to adjust it (not a body man at all )lol. It didn't look very good. I had it painted last week and when I picked the car up I was amazed how it looked. Fit as good as the stock hood. The body shop said it was one of the best hoods they had ever worked with.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Bump stops are all the way down. Even tried removing them.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-21-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Damn the paint job is nice but yeah that **** is jacked up for alignment for sure! Not sure on how much more you can pull the bracket down that catches the hood contraption in the front but still that's way off. **** and the bad part is that you have it painted so they won't take it back even though you can tell that **** is wack!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure on how much more you can pull the bracket down that catches the hood contraption in the front but still that's way off.
Already tried that. then the center is way off. Its just a piece of **** and thats bullshit if they wouldnt swap it. He actually called them before the hood was painted and they basically said it must be his car. After this thread I now see his isn't the only one that fits like that. Painted or not its obvious this isn't correct and maybe a few bad ones got out. Gonna call this week sometime.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, sorry to hear that, my **** isn't quite like that but like i said I've heard of some bad molds that where used and some made it out there. Man for as much money as the hoods cost alone you think they would fit like a glove regardless if there is no paint on it yet or not. Damn near what $780 for the hood shipped and that's straight to a body shop because they wouldn't even send it to my residence. Mine was roughly around there.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Try $785 plus $125 shipping
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are you sure the fenders are OEM?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

are you sure the fenders are OEM?
As far as I know. Don't know why they wouldn't be. Do they look like their not or something in one of the pics?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kkslds
yeah I new it was up there, I got mine last year so I couldn't remember exactly but yes they are very expensive hoods for sure and you think that it would be as simple as painting and installing but they need more than that!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kkslds

Our hoods were NEVER priced this much.
Even with a price increase we seen earlier this year/last year...the price is now $595.00.
MOST of the guys on this board have purchased these on our GP's or with the Tech Discount - bringing the price to $500-530.00 prior to shipping.
No where near $795.00.

Our molds have not been/or were never bad.
The same hood that you will see in the picture below is from the same mold that your hood came from.

In your case, Your fenders and lights are off - and are not sitting correctly.
This has nothing to do with our hood - but it makes it look worse then it really is.

Here's what you need to do to adjust it:
Your fender corners lay on the Headlights. Lift the corners about an inch (like on the bottom picture below). The headlights are not mounted correctly either...As you can see there with the comparison between the 3 cars...how they should be fitting.
The front corners of the nose can then come up.

Once you do this, you can simply make 2-3 MINOR adjustments on the hood - as explained in the instructions we sent with the hood - or we can troubleshoot it for you after you correct the problems with the nose.

Here's the picture so you can look at 3 cars with our hoods on them:

Your buddies car is pictured at the top to compare how the nose should sit.

In this next picture, the hood has been cropped from the white car and we're comparing the angle to the hood on the orange car.

Or once the nose is corrected, if you wish to take a drive...we can finish adjusting the hood for you here at our location - no charge
The hood in the top picture is a perfectly good hood and WILL fit as nicely as the others pictured.

Last edited by vfntech; 10-23-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

^^^ Thank you for the advice as I will pass it on. Just frustrating when a professional shop says this is all we can do with it. I hope your right and it just needs another person to work on it.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

yea i had issues aligning my hood too... i had to adjust where the headlights sat and mainly where the fenders were.. i loosened up the fenders, pulled them up about maybe a good 1 or 2 inches... it was a bitch but after about a good 2 hours its perfect now
Old 11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love VFN hoods, ive bought 4 hoods from VFN over the years, never had any issues or problems i will never buy a hood from anyone else! they hooked me up on my 86 iroc, 77 nova, 72 nova, and my 91 RS
all had perfect fitment and looked amazing once everything was aligned correctly. just gotta take your time
Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is mine (was mine). Had the car in 1999 and got rid of it in about 2004.
This was the first VFN 3" SS hood sold - hence the stickers to plug VFN for helping me out.

Quick Reply: Those with VFN hoods..