Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Those with VFN hoods..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Those with VFN hoods..

Can you guys post pictures of how well yours lines up? I recently picked up a 3" SS hood for my 99 Camaro and the sides have huge gaps..We haven't even attempted to bolt the hood on because of how much gap there is between the hood and the fenders. Anyone have close up pictures of theirs?

I dont have pictures of mine, but I just found this thread with this guys LT1 Camaro with a 3" SS hoods and mine looks prety similar.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/9474908-post15.html

Last edited by Jimmy P; 10-15-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember mine fitting great...

Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pics. Those gaps dont look too bad at all. I can fit a finger with ease in my gaps lol.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

might need to measure both hoods to see why its soo far off...
Old 10-15-2009, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
I can fit a finger with ease in my gaps lol.
the lift off extended WS6 hood on my CETA is the same way. I don't have any closeup pics though
Old 10-16-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be something with the car. It's not lik ethey make the hoods differently than one another.

I have 2 VFN hoods and BOTH fit like factory.

Make sure you notched out your hinges and give the hood a proper alignment. It could take more than 20 minutes. Not saying that's how long you gave it, but since your going from steel to fiberglass, it could take you up to and over an hour to get it just right.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Could be something with the car. It's not lik ethey make the hoods differently than one another.
Nothing realy wrong with the car..the stock SS hood fit well...it fit like stock lol.

Make sure you notched out your hinges and give the hood a proper alignment.
You dont realy understand..We already have notched the hinges and done everything we saw in the instructional video they have posted on the website. Notching the hinges isn't going to make the hood "grow" so it can can cover more area. Its not that its misaligned, its that the sides are a little too short. I am not complaining, I'm gona keep the hood because I need the extra clearance. But if I was one of those people that do this as an appearance mod, the stock hood would of been back on in a second.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you ever loosened the fender bolts? I have removed the fender brackets a couple of times to do some painting. If they are not re-adjusted it will leave huge gaps. The first time I did it, I was trying to figuire out what happened to the hood! Finally snapped it was the fenders. Just trying to throw something out there??
Old 10-16-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup we have adjusted the L brackets as far as they go. It looks like if we were to drill out the L brackets to allow us to pull the fenders in more it would look half descent. But then I'm sure how much more we can pull the fenders in.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Can you send us some pictures of the hood - overall shots so that we can get a visual of the problems? Then we can help you troubleshoot it. These hoods fit very nice and generally this is all that is required.
You can send the pics to: vfnfiberglass@gmail.com.
Please include your phone number and order number (or date of order/name it was placed under... if you don't have it).
We also have a video on how to install our hoods if you haven't checked that out already...
Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p3TVUzTuLw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p3TVUzTuLw[/URL]
Old 10-16-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car is at a chassis shop right now getting some work done but I will be sure to post pictures when I get it back by next week. thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

VFN has great customer support, they'll get you lined out
Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

my buddy got his a couple of months ago. We've tried everything and it still isnt any better. let it sit in the sun for awhile and still fits like poo. I guess ill have him check this thread and know he's not the only one.

Hopefully vfn will help out on this. I had a sunoco hood on my car and loved it. I recommended them and he might have just got a bad hood hopefully
Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Mine pretty much turned out perfect all the body shop installed mine! I was charged quit a bit for aka "MODIFYING THE HOOD" but looks good. The only think is it my plastic grill thing for the hood has one of the tabs broken off on the bottom passenger side. Not sure about this but it is plastic. I noticed it months after I had it painted it and installed Washing the car one day I noticed it, VFN tech what will you charge for a new one of these???? I can get some pics up next week when I get back from Texas of my allignment!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

my buddy got his a couple of months ago. We've tried everything and it still isnt any better. let it sit in the sun for awhile and still fits like poo. I guess ill have him check this thread and know he's not the only one.

Hopefully vfn will help out on this. I had a sunoco hood on my car and loved it. I recommended them and he might have just got a bad hood hopefully
What type of issue did it have? Did it seem like the hood wasn't "wide" enough, as in it wasn't wide enough to reach all the way to fenders?

Last edited by Jimmy P; 10-21-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

yea it fit just like that picture in the first post. fenders also line up everywhere else perfect except with the hood. Then at the front over the headlights you can stick a couple of fingers in there. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Also a professional body shop installed it and did everything they could do.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

I had many of the same issues you described. However I didn't have a body shop fit it one they told me it needed double the amount I paid for the hood to make it right. You can basically disregard anything phantomzero has to say about the matter since he is on their payroll.
Find any resolution to the fitment or did you just move on?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bird_Of_Prey
I had many of the same issues you described. However I didn't have a body shop fit it one they told me it needed double the amount I paid for the hood to make it right. You can basically disregard anything phantomzero has to say about the matter since he is on their payroll.
Yeah I read back throughout the post and found phantomzero comments quit funny, it could be the car, lol! Didn't realize he was on the payroll though. Yeah because all of our cars weren't made on the same factory line. Pretty sure most of them where, and most things don't change through out assembly. Of course it couldn't be the hood being man made individually from man made molds or what not, lol. Don't get me wrong I love my hood on my car but you are right there is a lot of modifying to get these hoods to fit for a perfection look. I mean hell I forgot to mention this. The bolts that hold the fender's on apparently are the wrong bolts every made for our car's as well. all though my gaps line up fairly good, the hood hits on the bolts that hold the fenders on. The mold being used may have flared the hood sides out a bit toward the bottom. I may have to grind the bolts down a bit to keep it from taking the rest of my $1500 hood install and paint away.....Looks good but some imperfections! I guess you can expect that from fiberglass maybe, don't know, I've heard stories and seen pictures of some horrible hoods and then some turn out perfectly. The hoods aren't heat treated so maybe during the shipping stage there is some flexing in the shape, hard telling! like i said I'll post some pics when i get back home of my likes and dislikes, for a small photo it's my avatar!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not on the payroll, so I suggest you stop telling people I am. You can take the comments however you want, the bottom line is that from what I've seen on this forum alone, most people have zero idea how to align a hood. Your car is setup and the parts are all aligned at the factory, granted but every car is different. You can go buy an OEM hood and put it on your car and it will still need an adjustment.

I say check the car because if it has been in an accident and the panels have been realigned after the repair, that could cause the hood to not line up properly. I haven't seen any constructive comments from you on what to do, so I certainly would appreciate that before you jump on me, you add to the discussion, not take it off on a tangent about things that are factually incorrect.

Having said that, there are a variety of things that could be the problem at hand, and as several others have said, VFN included, sending pictures will help them remedy the problem.

BTW, Bird of Prey, did you contact them after you were quoted by the body shop? Did you go for a second opinion? Or are you just posting up that you had issues and sticking in a dig at me? And Blue, I'd love to take a shot at what you posted but I can't make heads or tails of what you are saying. In fact, you might even be the first person I've ever seen say that they had to grind on fender bolts.

Then again, I'll say anything to stay on payroll If you guys feel the need to continue talking, PM me and keep it out of the thread.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

My friend might have hotlinking turned off.... Cause the pics aren't loading for me. Weird. Anyway, direct link http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/nhra/
Kinda how my buddies hood fits. His is possibly worse. Didnt get a chance to get pics last night. I'll try and get them up today

Quick Reply: Those with VFN hoods..