Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

post cars with STRANO lowering kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's mine. HP2.5 (Strano Springs + Koni STR.T)
Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Wow that looks clean levilz!!! What's the wheels & tires set up? Looks like the Vette wheels too, from which year? Pretty sure I know it's a Z06 wheel? Just wanting to make sure because that's the stance I'm wanting on my Hawk!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See signature
Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After some more driving, my rear springs have settled a little more and the fronts have not, which is not good. Now, the car sits like a fox body style Mustang, squatted in the rear and high in the front, which I'm not happy with. So, I guess it's on to plan B, which is either some new front springs from another company or cutting the front springs, which I'm not keen on doing. I've thought about the BMR 1 inch lower A arms, but a $500 fix for a set of $200 springs doesn't seem logical. Has anyone else had this issue with Strano springs? If so, what was the fix and can you buy just front springs from another company?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
After some more driving, my rear springs have settled a little more and the fronts have not, which is not good. Now, the car sits like a fox body style Mustang, squatted in the rear and high in the front, which I'm not happy with. So, I guess it's on to plan B, which is either some new front springs from another company or cutting the front springs, which I'm not keen on doing. I've thought about the BMR 1 inch lower A arms, but a $500 fix for a set of $200 springs doesn't seem logical. Has anyone else had this issue with Strano springs? If so, what was the fix and can you buy just front springs from another company?
You've got a few options.
First, assuming everything is installed correctly, really you just dont like the way the front sits compared to the rear right? The easiest thing to do then would be to raise the rear a little like where it was before it settled. You can try putting a heater hose on the top of the rear spring in addition to also using the stock spring seat.
If you have koni sa's you could use the lower perch in the front although its not ideal for lowering springs.

Do you have any extra weight in the back or weight off the front?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You've got a few options.
First, assuming everything is installed correctly, really you just dont like the way the front sits compared to the rear right? The easiest thing to do then would be to raise the rear a little like where it was before it settled. You can try putting a heater hose on the top of the rear spring in addition to also using the stock spring seat.
If you have koni sa's you could use the lower perch in the front although its not ideal for lowering springs.

Do you have any extra weight in the back or weight off the front?
You're correct, I could raise the rear some, but I don't mind the height of the rear the way it is, it's just that the front is too high, even with the rear raised, the front is too high. I had Koni STR.T's installed with these springs and they have no lower purch, just the one.

Nothing loading it down, stock interior 1996 Z28.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike6802Hawks
Wow that looks clean levilz!!! What's the wheels & tires set up? Looks like the Vette wheels too, from which year? Pretty sure I know it's a Z06 wheel? Just wanting to make sure because that's the stance I'm wanting on my Hawk!!!
Thanks! Yeah, they're C6 ZO6 Reps with a deep dish in the rear and a smaller lip in the front. I'm not positive what brand they are since I picked them up used (actually made some cash taking them and selling my stockers). Pretty sure they came from OE Wheels though. The setup is 18x10.5 in the rear on a 295/35/18, and 17x9 w/ 275/40/17's up front. I had to roll the inner lip of the 1/4's and put a small .247 spacer because it was just barely touching the inner well, but it fits in there pretty-well perfect now.

Just a side note, I'm not sure if it was the quality of the brand, or if they weren't taken care of by the previous owner at all, but the wheels are pitting and the chrome has chipped off of a few places. I would recommend looking for a better quality set.... if I knew who made them. Since I'm not sure on the brand though I guess that's not really helpful. Lol.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Pics? Amount it's changed? On level ground? I'm curious myself given it's not a normal thing. Though fwiw, I just replied to an email from a fellow. His car is slammed in the back with two different sets of "stock" springs.

*NOTE THESE ARE NOT MY SPRINGS* This is an example of how some cars vary for any number of reasons.

It's a fun game sometimes. This is why nobody quotes an EXACT drop on springs and whu I don't even try to make a claim about it anymore. I had one guy call once upset his rear was too low, when he had measured before and after and his old springs were 1/8" lower than mine.. but said they were fine.

Again if a 100% exact ride height is the desire with NO wiggle room, then something with height adjustment should be considered. Normal springs costs less, but we cannot account for millions of combinations of cars out there. Worn parts, installation differences, accessories added to cars, tire diameter changes.

Back on point. I'd like to see just how much it's changed.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-18-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Pics? Amount it's changed? On level ground? I'm curious myself given it's not a normal thing. Though fwiw, I just replied to an email from a fellow. His car is slammed in the back with two different sets of "stock" springs.

*NOTE THESE ARE NOT MY SPRINGS* This is an example of how some cars vary for any number of reasons.

It's a fun game sometimes. This is why nobody quotes an EXACT drop on springs and whu I don't even try to make a claim about it anymore. I had one guy call once upset his rear was too low, when he had measured before and after and his old springs were 1/8" lower than mine.. but said they were fine.

Again if a 100% exact ride height is the desire with NO wiggle room, then something with height adjustment should be considered. Normal springs costs less, but we cannot account for millions of combinations of cars out there. Worn parts, installation differences, accessories added to cars, tire diameter changes.

Back on point. I'd like to see just how much it's changed.
I don't have any pics right not, but the passenger front is still 26.5", The drivers front was at about 26 3/4 inches but it seems a little higher now for some reason and both back rears are just below 26.5". This doesn't have anything to do with worn existing parts on the car being that it's a 1996 34,000 mile garage queen, the upper perches were fine. At this point, I'm definitely not pleased with the stance and I've got some UMI spring spacers to raise the rear some, but that doesn't solve the problem in the front. I guess I'll have to start cutting the front springs to get the right height I want there or trash the springs and go with something different. And the height measurements were all measured in the same spot in my garage, so it isn't where the car is sitting that had anything to do with the height measurements.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have the issue with the front being too high, but for some reason mine has always had a rake to it even stock.
Attached Thumbnails post cars with STRANO lowering kits-ta.jpg  
Old 07-27-2016, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
I don't have the issue with the front being too high, but for some reason mine has always had a rake to it even stock.
Looks really good, I'd be thrilled to death if mine sat that way, but unfortunately, that's not the case.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks really good, I'd be thrilled to death if mine sat that way, but unfortunately, that's not the case.
OH I am, also I couldn't be happier with how this new combo rides, handles, etc. I have the Koni STR.T's and Continental Extreme DW's.....tires are a notch above the nittos I had for sure. Anyway....Strano/Koni/Continentals for the win for me.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
Rake is good. As long as it's not in your hands with a pile of grass or leaves under the tines.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Name:  IMG_2845.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  301.0 KB
Old 08-12-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Blasius02, that looks nice! More pics please!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

120 sets of springs just arrived..... 12 sets just packed and headed out the door today.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
120 sets of springs just arrived..... 12 sets just packed and headed out the door today.

Some of those are mine! I'm so stoked to get rid of my crapbachs! According to tracking, I should receive on Thursday.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Every set that was on backorder was picked up today by FedEx. You should see them before the end of the week!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2000 miles on the springs, really enjoying them

Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't have any pics right not, but the passenger front is still 26.5", The drivers front was at about 26 3/4 inches but it seems a little higher now for some reason and both back rears are just below 26.5". This doesn't have anything to do with worn existing parts on the car being that it's a 1996 34,000 mile garage queen, the upper perches were fine. At this point, I'm definitely not pleased with the stance and I've got some UMI spring spacers to raise the rear some, but that doesn't solve the problem in the front. I guess I'll have to start cutting the front springs to get the right height I want there or trash the springs and go with something different. And the height measurements were all measured in the same spot in my garage, so it isn't where the car is sitting that had anything to do with the height measurements.
I guess this is why I'm confused. 26.5" RF and rear, and about 26.75" LF. That's not all that high, and is pretty standard kind of numbers with my springs. I have not seen what this car looks like I don't know what size tires it's on in terms of aspect ratio. But going off the numbers what I see here is completely not abnormal.

I can't see the car, I didn't install the stuff. I have no idea who did. I don't know if they undid control arms then tightened the bolts on those back up with the car hanging in the air, binding the bushings. I really wish I had an answer for you. But given the numbers I see aren't even really strange, and I can't even look at the car, it's kind of hard for me to offer any advice. I never unbolt the control arms for this job, but the GM service manual says too, maybe that's where the issue lies.

The springs are not hand made individually or anything, they are run off one coil of wire 240 at a time making 120 car sets. We don't even mix springs from different batches.

We have reached a point where I can't offer much advice without more information about what else changed or how the install was done. The springs are stiffer than stock, by a lot. They are shorter than stock by a lot. The car does not weigh the same thing on each corner, and because the front springs are same rate and in fact the same spring if there is some variance in something, anything, the result can be a difference in height. Mind you it's 100% normal and common for the left side to be up to 1/2" higher than the right, and you are well within that range. In fact based on these numbers I see the LF being "about" 1/4" taller than the other 4. My Corvette is corner weighted and it's almost 1/2" higher on the right side than the left and the with the RF being closer the LF than the RR is the to LR. And that's how the car gets to 50/50% cross weights. The car is 1% left side heavy with me in it, 1% front heavy in total. LF/RR, RF/LR come out to 49.9/50.1% cross and no corner sits the same as any other.

If an exact height is the goal then coil-overs are a solution that you need to investigate. There is too much variance in cars, mounts, etc. to insure any particular height. And you can see that other cars here don't have that problem or at least the owners don't seem to care. I'd like to know if one of you guys who posted pics recently can take some measurements for me for comparison.

Quick Reply: post cars with STRANO lowering kits