Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ebay Projector Headlights, Anyone opened them up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doggy- I did, but I just don't like knowing they are in there. I know, I'm a bit crazy. But honestly man, they look awesome on your car. My car is silver and only lightly modified, so they will stick out way more. Not what I am going for. Love yours though

I found a place, 30 minutes from my apartment that specializes in retrofitting projectors. They have a ready made kit for 98-02 Camaros. I'm going to let them do it. Their prices are reasonable, and they use only quality parts. I'm going to go with them and let them handle the swap. They have pictures and pricing on their website. I'm not allowed to post up their info, but PM me if you would like more info. The headlights they did are a work of art. I cannot wait!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
Doggy- I did, but I just don't like knowing they are in there. I know, I'm a bit crazy. But honestly man, they look awesome on your car. My car is silver and only lightly modified, so they will stick out way more. Not what I am going for. Love yours though

I found a place, 30 minutes from my apartment that specializes in retrofitting projectors. They have a ready made kit for 98-02 Camaros. I'm going to let them do it. Their prices are reasonable, and they use only quality parts. I'm going to go with them and let them handle the swap. They have pictures and pricing on their website. I'm not allowed to post up their info, but PM me if you would like more info. The headlights they did are a work of art. I cannot wait!
Does this place have a website?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

It does. I PM'd you. I'm just not allowed to post it.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Which projectors do they use and how do they mount them. I've seen all kinds of retrofits and I'm wondering what they do.

BTW, there are new retrofit projectors that can be put in the place where a Halogen bulb originally mounted (depends on the bulb, the hole needs to be large enough).

Basically, you bake open your headlights, slide these projectors in from the front so the back protrudes through the old bulb hole, tighten down the clamp in the back, attach the included shrouds, and reseal the headlight.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here is an example:

These are the Morimoto Mini (they come in D2S and H1 version designed for HID)
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-Mini-retrofit
(Watch the time-lapse video)
You can get it from The Retrofit Source.

Check out HID planet for more info on these are other projectors for retrofits.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

BTW, that example won't work for aftermarket ebay headlights with projectors, but it works with most stock reflector housings (probably the Camaro too, but I haven't seen it done yet).
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
Which projectors do they use and how do they mount them. I've seen all kinds of retrofits and I'm wondering what they do.

BTW, there are new retrofit projectors that can be put in the place where a Halogen bulb originally mounted (depends on the bulb, the hole needs to be large enough).

Basically, you bake open your headlights, slide these projectors in from the front so the back protrudes through the old bulb hole, tighten down the clamp in the back, attach the included shrouds, and reseal the headlight.
They either use TSX low beams, and you retain your high beams, or you can use FX-R bi-xenons with e46 style shrouds. While they are in there, they paint the housing a flat black. They use a reproduction headlight, or you can send them your own headlights. I'd much prefer a more even two projectors per headlight, and when I go to drop off my headlights (they are located only 30 minutes from me!) I will discuss this with them.

VIP- I'd love to do this myself, but I have to be realistic here. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I won't pull the trigger on it for fear of it coming out awful. I am not sure I am ready to experiment with a set of OEM headlights, and the cost of their labor will likely save me that aggravation. That Morimoto Mini looks way bigger than can fit in our headlights. I'm imagining it in my head, and it doesn't seem like it would clear the plastic of our headlight covers.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

It does. I PM'd you. I'm just not allowed to post it.
can i get that website too
Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested in this as well... I'll try to get some pics of my sonars and HID setup, along with my Hella foglight retrofit with HID installed
Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a pair of the morimoto minis here (for another project) they aren't too big around for the Camaro headlights at all. They should fit.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6spdchevy
can i get that website too

Me too please
Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

They either use TSX low beams, and you retain your high beams, or you can use FX-R bi-xenons with e46 style shrouds. While they are in there....
Given the choice, go with the FX-R instead of the TSX. The FX-R has better output than the TSX and it has high-beam. Since you have a separate high beam, you can either not wire up the solenoid or wire it up the to the high beam and have an amazing high beam using both the high beam setting of the projector and the original halogen high beams (I vote for this option). Plus the FX-R is cheaper than the TSX ($135 vs. $195 from The Retrofit Source).
Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
Given the choice, go with the FX-R instead of the TSX. The FX-R has better output than the TSX and it has high-beam. Since you have a separate high beam, you can either not wire up the solenoid or wire it up the to the high beam and have an amazing high beam using both the high beam setting of the projector and the original halogen high beams (I vote for this option). Plus the FX-R is cheaper than the TSX ($135 vs. $195 from The Retrofit Source).
Thanks for this. I was wondering if I would be able to do this.

I'm getting a little excited about this and may end up just throwing it on my credit card next month. Goodbye crummy lighting....

now only to decide between 4300k and 6000k
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get 5k... it is a whiter white... not much blue or yellow in it... and Im going to do this to my GMC HD when i get it, then maybe to the camaro... the Sonar's are not too bad, just have a little glare form them
Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I vote for 4300K. That is what OEM use on their cars from the factory, it puts out more light that the higher K temperatures, and its better in rain than the higher K temperatures. Its whither than Halogen, but put next to a 5000K or a 6000K it'll look slightly yellower. If you are after a bright white, 5000K might be a good compromise. 6000k you start to notice some blue.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

I don't really like the blue, so the choice is obvious for me.

Anyone else planning on doing this?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Launching!

can i get that website too?

Quick Reply: Ebay Projector Headlights, Anyone opened them up?