Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it. I did.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
I dont get what would be so terrible about even doing SS badges as long as you got the spoiler too. With the exception of certain SLP cars that's basically the only real difference between the 2 in the first place. I mean yeah the SS has ram air but.....it really doesn't seem to do all that much.
thats just the way it is. its principle. no matter how small a difference, it will never be a true SS. that doesnt mean its any worst at all, it just isnt an SS. so why try to pass it off as something it isn't.

and personally i'd take the Z28 over SS anyday. why....

any chevy can be an SS, only a camaro can be a Z28! why not take pride in that.

Originally Posted by 69camaross
SS hoods on Z28s are fine if you don't rebadge it as an SS. However be prepared to have someone ask "do you have an SS"?

My thing is, why try to make it look like another Camaro model with the SS hood WHy not make the Z28 look like it should have in the first place with a sunoco cowl hood or better yet, the SLP Ultra Z hood which is the best flowing direct ram air hood out there for 98-02s.

My choice on a Z28 is the Ultra Z.
1.) if someone asks, than you say its a Z28. how hard is that. its nothing to ba ashamed of. same thing i do when people ask if i my T/A is a WS6, or when people ask if the camaros an SS or Z28. i have no problem with that.

2.) why? because many people like the look of the SS hood. its not about making it look like an SS, its about liking the look of the hood. i'm not trying to make both of my cars look like corvettes by putting corvette rims on them. i'm trying to make them look better with rims that i like.

3.) that is YOUR opinion, where did you come up with how it should have looked in the first place? quite frankly, i feel that the SS hood fits with the overall look of the car more than any other hood, even though i love how mine looks. but thats just my opinion
Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a SS hood off ebay (hoodsforsale) price was good, $225plus shipping, but it fits like crap, & is a total POS, but live & learn, I still have to get it painted, I finally got it fitting half decent, My Z28 has the SS wanna be package
Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
thats just the way it is. its principle. no matter how small a difference, it will never be a true SS. that doesnt mean its any worst at all, it just isnt an SS. so why try to pass it off as something it isn't.

and personally i'd take the Z28 over SS anyday. why....

any chevy can be an SS, only a camaro can be a Z28! why not take pride in that.

1.) if someone asks, than you say its a Z28. how hard is that. its nothing to ba ashamed of. same thing i do when people ask if i my T/A is a WS6, or when people ask if the camaros an SS or Z28. i have no problem with that.

2.) why? because many people like the look of the SS hood. its not about making it look like an SS, its about liking the look of the hood. i'm not trying to make both of my cars look like corvettes by putting corvette rims on them. i'm trying to make them look better with rims that i like.

3.) that is YOUR opinion, where did you come up with how it should have looked in the first place? quite frankly, i feel that the SS hood fits with the overall look of the car more than any other hood, even though i love how mine looks. but thats just my opinion

there is nothing wrong with getting an SS hood. just not diggin the SS clones.. plus then you gotta deal with those that say, its not a real "SS" blah..blah..blah..
Old 12-23-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

You're correct that's my opinion but cowl hoods started off as a Z/28 item in 67. So to me they belong on a Z28.

Funny thing that I forgot to mention earlier and nobody else posted is that the 4th gen SS style hood is actually patterned after the 78-81 Z28 tear drop hood. So technically, the SS hood is a Z28 hood.

<---- tosses more fuel on the fire.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Teching In

don't see a problem adding a ws6 hood to any type of firebird, v6 or v8. Don't see a problem adding an SS hood to any type of camaro, v6 or v8. My sister's RS camaro has the SS hood on it. We're not trying to pass it off as anything else. Driving down the road 98% of people just think it's a cool car and couldn't care less what's under the hood. We've got a v6 firebird with a ws6 hood on it as well; they just make the cars look better. I see no point in trying to pass it off as something it's not, via badges and emblems, but the hoods make the cars look better. If you can afford it, put um on.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Regular

Z28 here , already got the oem ss spoiler , now waiting to find the ss hood
Old 12-23-2009, 04:02 AM
TECH Veteran

You're correct that's my opinion but cowl hoods started off as a Z/28 item in 67. So to me they belong on a Z28.

Funny thing that I forgot to mention earlier and nobody else posted is that the 4th gen SS style hood is actually patterned after the 78-81 Z28 tear drop hood. So technically, the SS hood is a Z28 hood.
cowls came in '69. but, you're right about the 2nd gens. if you put a 78 camaro right next to a 98+ w/ or w/o an SS hood you'll see that the 2nd gen was definitely where a lot of design inspiration came from. the lines are similar too, the 2 lines extending from the headlights...

Old 12-23-2009, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
cowls came in '69. but, you're right about the 2nd gens. if you put a 78 camaro right next to a 98+ w/ or w/o an SS hood you'll see that the 2nd gen was definitely where a lot of design inspiration came from. the lines are similar too, the 2 lines extending from the headlights...

I always thought the grill shape of the LS cars were similar to the 70-73 grill like the headlight humps you mentioned too.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
I always thought the grill shape of the LS cars were similar to the 70-73 grill like the headlight humps you mentioned too.
cool. i never knew that they looked so similar.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be the odd one here but I like my Z28 hood and "stock" spoiler. I like the "sleek" look of my car. It's bland, and simple enough to make unsuspecting person thinks its really slow.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:04 AM
TECH Veteran

i didnt notice the similarities between the 2nd and 4th gens till about a month ago when i started restoring my moms old camaro. guess i never paid that much attention to detail before.

Originally Posted by bene
I'll be the odd one here but I like my Z28 hood and "stock" spoiler. I like the "sleek" look of my car. It's bland, and simple enough to make unsuspecting person thinks its really slow.
^im right there with you. i always loved the way my car looked before the hood. i just decided to change it up since i had to fix the car up anyways, after smashing the entire driver side of my car into a guard rail on the freeway... yup, DWT (driving while tired...) never again will i try a 40 min. drive in a car with no radio, after having stayed up for about 48 hours straight.

I also like the sleek look of the spoiler, so i took the factory 3 piece of the appearance package off as well.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 12-23-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:34 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

<---- tosses more fuel on the fire.

I think its more styled after the stinger hood from early vettes.

Quick Reply: SS Hoods on Z28's