Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside

Since there are no competing sponsors for this product, I figure I would share my experience with the ebay spoilers.

I purchased this 98-02 SS spoiler off ebay from "The Spoiler Company" for $179.68 on Dec 26, 2009. I had to pay taxes since I live in Texas. I have heard a lot of success stories so I gave it a shot. I bought it unpainted since I do my own painting. Does anyone realize how hard it is to find an OEM SS spoiler for a reasonable price?

Shipping was quick. Only took 3 days. I heard my doorbell ring and when I got there, no one was at my door except this big box. Kind of creepy. Well the box and padding could have been better. Actually it kind of sucked. Good thing the spoiler company is only 3 hours away. I'm glad I didn't have it shipped across the country.

The third brake light has an SLP, SAE, and DOT number on it. I guess it's real? I am definitely going to check my buddy’s SS car to see if it's the same. There are no plugs for the third brake light so you have to splice wires together. No big deal. It also came with a lot of foam padding. I don’t see why it’s needed since the factory never used it. I thought it was going to come with a little circle shape piece of foam like the oem spoiler. It also had paperwork that said “Wing Tech Aerodynamic Spoilers”, I guess this is where they buy their spoilers from.

I am glad I bought it unpainted. It’s going need some finishing work. I can see a few imperfections in the surface. It’s nothing big. I couldn’t get it to show up on the camera. It has small pin holes and deep sand scratches in a few places. Areas where there are round edges seem like they have been sanded straight. That sounds horrible, but it’s very small. I am the pickiest person you will ever meet. I have an eagle eye for these things. I’ve worked at body shops so I know what to look for. It’s no big deal. I can easily have these issues fixed and paint ready in 20 min. My biggest concern is the fitment which I haven’t tried yet. I will have this spoiler painted and installed within a couple days so I will let you guys know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02103.jpg   Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02104.jpg   Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02106.jpg   Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02107.jpg   Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02108.jpg  

Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02109.jpg   Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02110.jpg   Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02111.jpg   Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside-dsc02112.jpg  
Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Im at work or I would check do they come painted, if so what colors?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Im at work or I would check do they come painted, if so what colors?
You can order them painted. You would have to give them your paint code. It on the sticker in your drivers side door jam. I think it's only $75 more to have them paint it.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikz 28
You can order them painted. You would have to give them your paint code. It on the sticker in your drivers side door jam. I think it's only $75 more to have them paint it.
Hmmm...interesting..Might just have to do that before summer...thx for the info.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

I bought a spoiler from them for my othe car. They have good prices and a god product! Shoud ok ery nice on your ar.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one from them and had it painted, extremely pleased with the results for the money spent. Fits like a glove too.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

im going to be ordering a painted one soon but i wounder how it will come out with my car color.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, i've been wanting to get an SS spoiler for my car but i kept on hearing bad stories about buying them from ebay (such as them being damaged a lot durring shipping and not the best quality)

But this seems like a pretty good product and it helps to know that a few of you have done business with them and were pleased. I think i'm going to buy from them and thats a great price!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I bought one of these from ebay a while ago and it was a nice piece as far as surface finish, but it sat on the hatch about 3/4 of an inch too high bolted down. I hope they have made improvements since then. Most people on here seem to have better luck than me

Anyway, it looks good, post some pics when test fitting...
Old 12-29-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
I bought one of these from ebay a while ago and it was a nice piece as far as surface finish, but it sat on the hatch about 3/4 of an inch too high bolted down. I hope they have made improvements since then. Most people on here seem to have better luck than me

Anyway, it looks good, post some pics when test fitting...
x2 mine is off some also.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

I just finished painting the spoiler. I have to retract what I said earlier about the small fixes I can do in 20 minutes. This thing took me 3 hours to get straight. It was so wavy. Block, blocking, and more blocking. The primer was much thinner than I expected and pin holes started to show up more and more as I blocked. The quality is horrible. I finally managed to get it as straight as possible. I suggest everyone buy this spoiler unpainted. For a normal consumer it would be best to buy oem. Original is the way to go. I've always thought that but I wanted to give the aftermarket another shot. I managed to buy an original SS spoiler on my first Camaro and that is definitely the way to go. I mean this spoiler looks awesome now but not worth the hassle the second time around.

Who cares if this spoiler is a bargain, I don't recommend it to anyone that is not in the body shop business. I doubt this is from a "bad batch". If I ever come across an oem spoiler for a good price, I might have to swap this one out. It was dumb for me to compare the equipment of billion dollar company (GM) to some spoiler business (The Spoiler Company) on ebay.

Sorry for the rant. It's late and I wanted to be optimistic, but the last couple of hours have been frustrating. I will post pictures tomorrow when there is light outside.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished painting the spoiler. I have to retract what I said earlier about the small fixes I can do in 20 minutes. This thing took me 3 hours to get straight. It was so wavy. Block, blocking, and more blocking. The primer was much thinner than I expected and pin holes started to show up more and more as I blocked. The quality is horrible. I finally managed to get it as straight as possible. I suggest everyone buy this spoiler unpainted. For a normal consumer it would be best to buy oem. Original is the way to go. I've always thought that but I wanted to give the aftermarket another shot. I managed to buy an original SS spoiler on my first Camaro and that is definitely the way to go. I mean this spoiler looks awesome now but not worth the hassle the second time around.

Who cares if this spoiler is a bargain, I don't recommend it to anyone that is not in the body shop business. I doubt this is from a "bad batch". If I ever come across an oem spoiler for a good price, I might have to swap this one out. It was dumb for me to compare the equipment of billion dollar company (GM) to some spoiler business (The Spoiler Company) on ebay.

Sorry for the rant. It's late and I wanted to be optimistic, but the last couple of hours have been frustrating. I will post pictures tomorrow when there is light outside.
I am also an auto body tech and my spoiler from "thespoilercompany" was much the same as yours. However, I thought for a fiberglass part it wasn't TOO bad, i've seen MUCH worse.

I had one pin hole on the bottom side of the spoiler which I had to fill. Also had the same experience of EXTREMELY thin primer, I wouldn't be surprised if the primer was just rattle can.

Erikz 28: You may already be aware of this product but next time you may want to try "Feather Fill" it is made by Evercoat and I believe it is roughly $60 a gallon. It is a VERY robust, thick spray on material that will help fill in those waves and at the same time does a very good job at keeping solvent pop at bay. I used Feather Fill on my SS spoiler and it made blocking go much quicker than if I had used a normal primer. Just something to keep in mind for next time, it can also be sprayed on metal/bondo if the metal is etched.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

you get what yu pay for
Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Havok2
you get what yu pay for
Yup
Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

$325 shipped for my OEM ss spoiler and I have never looked back. Sometimes its worth it to spend the extra money for better quality.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
$325 shipped for my OEM ss spoiler and I have never looked back. Sometimes its worth it to spend the extra money for better quality.
That's a good deal. For a minute there, I thought you were offering to sell it.

Well I just finished buffing the spoiler. It turned out really good. It's real smooth now. The fitment is really good. I was surprised how well it fit. The holes lined up perfectly and I didn't have to drill and bolt down the center braces. I am satisfied with the end product. No one will ever know its an aftermarket spoiler. It would have been nice to just sand and paint an oem spoiler though. Sorry, I will post pictures soon.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to see youre happy with the final results.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Good to hear that it worked out, I wasn't so lucky... Only very observant f-body guys will notice that its not OEM, but as long as it fits well then you're set

That's a good deal. For a minute there, I thought you were offering to sell it.

Well I just finished buffing the spoiler. It turned out really good. It's real smooth now. The fitment is really good. I was surprised how well it fit. The holes lined up perfectly and I didn't have to drill and bolt down the center braces. I am satisfied with the end product. No one will ever know its an aftermarket spoiler. It would have been nice to just sand and paint an oem spoiler though. Sorry, I will post pictures soon.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had an ebay spoiler from same company, the fittment on it was horrible. Lucky i am also in the body shop business and found a damaged OEM one to fix
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

I got excited till i read your post about how bad it was to prep. I'm no body guy and the body shops around me would charge an arm and a leg to get it looking proper.

Quick Reply: Mailman dropped off my new ebay 98-02 SS spoiler. Pics inside