Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Black Ws6 detail!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you didnt have a problem with the vinyl lifting at the edges? thats why i decided against blackbird stripes
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, if they do, they weren't installed correctly or haven't had time to adhere to the car. You should be able to polish vinyl very similar to paint, and in this case I used the same process. Again, the key to doing this safely is using low RPMs that won't build too much heat.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Cut the edges off and youll have a lot less of the very small light scratches. See the 3M stuff..I do paint and body out of my garage..and thats why I love it. But I will say for black..the 3rd step..is hands down one of the best. The second step does wonders but Im toooo picky..I like the Mequires..but Iv had a lot customers come to me that have used it and not happy, they know it can get better lol..
Old 01-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie_racer
I have a little experience. Good idea I will take your advice and practice on a beater first. Thanks!I need to clay bar at the very least.
i dont have any exp w/ a buffer either. but i just ordered a porter cable orbital buffer. orbital wont burn thru like a rotary. i had a thread a while back about removing swirl marks and got some great info. heres the link to it and gotta note this quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
A PC will not harm your paint unless you throw the machine at your car.
heres the thread and sorry op for the hijack
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ack-paint.html
Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Cut the edges off and youll have a lot less of the very small light scratches. See the 3M stuff..I do paint and body out of my garage..and thats why I love it. But I will say for black..the 3rd step..is hands down one of the best. The second step does wonders but Im toooo picky..I like the Mequires..but Iv had a lot customers come to me that have used it and not happy, they know it can get better lol..
Will do! Maybe you are the acception, but in my experience paint/body guys and detailers are both completely different in their ways of finishing vehicles. I have seen that the paint/body guys usually spend a few hours buffing out the cars.....which is a little fast and they usually cut corners in order to turn cars quickly. Most cars I see that leave paaint shops, leave with a tons of overspray here and there, and buffer marks all ove rthe car that require a good bit of time to remove and make perfect. If you do things right thought, then more power to ya....bc the guys who do paint/body AND detail correctly are far and few between!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

wow that thing looked really neglected! good job bro.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks nice... It's amazing how bad people let their junk get...
Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
Will do! Maybe you are the acception, but in my experience paint/body guys and detailers are both completely different in their ways of finishing vehicles. I have seen that the paint/body guys usually spend a few hours buffing out the cars.....which is a little fast and they usually cut corners in order to turn cars quickly. Most cars I see that leave paaint shops, leave with a tons of overspray here and there, and buffer marks all ove rthe car that require a good bit of time to remove and make perfect. If you do things right thought, then more power to ya....bc the guys who do paint/body AND detail correctly are far and few between!

Yea Thats 100% correct..its about how fast can we get it done and get paid..but I dont do my work like that. Im very pickey because I dont do this full time just out of my garage and I want my name to be good. Iv done many a few very expensive cars, a wet sand and buff..and I use the 3M products..most have been black cars because they takethem somewere and are not happy at all. I usally spend 9-12 hrs on a black car. I Dont do it fast..I take my time inch by inch..because its my name and I want people to tell friends family ect how good I am..Buffing is an art...more than Painting I feel..Cus Iv taken some really crappy paint jobs and made them look AMAZING..and the guy that painted gets all the credit.. One of the last jobs I did was a later model black vette, guy got it cheap and needed a hood painted and bumper. Then he wanted me to wet sand and buff it..I had 11hrs in just buffing..He is an ******* too..very picky..but hes a buddy too..and he tryed and tryed picking the car apart..the hood was the only flaws he found and it was before Id sanded/buffed it..After he was amazed..

But anyway it is pressed more for body shops quickly in and out..but if you use it right..its very very nice! Id just pick up steps 2 and 3 with the correct pads and let me know how well you like them...and do the cutting of the rags lol..

IT is crazy how people let their cars go. I got a buddy that has a Red 00 GT Mustang..Really nice car, if I had it lol. He drives it everyday and it needs help now. Gravel Roads, Partys all the time, He acts liek hes soo broke and cant have me buff it and what not but anyway..I did the 2nd stage one day for free..OMG it made a world of difference..Now if hed just let me do some paint work it would look sick!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
Looks nice... It's amazing how bad people let their junk get...
This car used to be very nice.....but it was stolen over the summer and thats where the car went bad. It was recovered with many scratches and I luckily brought it back a hair!

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Yea Thats 100% correct..its about how fast can we get it done and get paid..but I dont do my work like that. Im very pickey because I dont do this full time just out of my garage and I want my name to be good. Iv done many a few very expensive cars, a wet sand and buff..and I use the 3M products..most have been black cars because they takethem somewere and are not happy at all. I usally spend 9-12 hrs on a black car. I Dont do it fast..I take my time inch by inch..because its my name and I want people to tell friends family ect how good I am..Buffing is an art...more than Painting I feel..Cus Iv taken some really crappy paint jobs and made them look AMAZING..and the guy that painted gets all the credit.. One of the last jobs I did was a later model black vette, guy got it cheap and needed a hood painted and bumper. Then he wanted me to wet sand and buff it..I had 11hrs in just buffing..He is an ******* too..very picky..but hes a buddy too..and he tryed and tryed picking the car apart..the hood was the only flaws he found and it was before Id sanded/buffed it..After he was amazed..

But anyway it is pressed more for body shops quickly in and out..but if you use it right..its very very nice! Id just pick up steps 2 and 3 with the correct pads and let me know how well you like them...and do the cutting of the rags lol..

IT is crazy how people let their cars go. I got a buddy that has a Red 00 GT Mustang..Really nice car, if I had it lol. He drives it everyday and it needs help now. Gravel Roads, Partys all the time, He acts liek hes soo broke and cant have me buff it and what not but anyway..I did the 2nd stage one day for free..OMG it made a world of difference..Now if hed just let me do some paint work it would look sick!
Speaking of black vettes.....heres one i detailed a few months back

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-detailed.html

$800 paint job that I brought back. It looked like the entire car wash washed with scotch brite, 100% serious!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

damn car looks 100x better... you do good work
Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=ls6firebird;12701808]i dont have any exp w/ a buffer either. but i just ordered a porter cable orbital buffer. orbital wont burn thru like a rotary. i had a thread a while back about removing swirl marks and got some great info.

Wow your in Lees Summit only about 25 miles away from me, I will just stop by and use yours and have you help me. Haha
Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Neenjah
wow that thing looked really neglected! good job bro.
this car is far from neglected. search my name and look at the pics of it. this car is my baby and gets waxed regularly and taken very well care of. its only driven on the weekends and occasionly to the drag strip. my car was stolen a few months ago and taken on a 3 day joy ride which cause the small scratched and stuff on the car. kyle did a great job on the clean up and i am very pleased. it will remain looking like this for a long while
Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

What an amazing transformation. Black is a difficult color to maintain and I love to see the before and afters. We recently added a Black 93 Firehawk to the collection and it could use the magic touch. Great Job!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

STOLEN..WTF..They are 6 feet under now right??
Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Wow your in Lees Summit only about 25 miles away from me, I will just stop by and use yours and have you help me. Haha
yea your welcome to give it a try anytime. if ya do the berger and taillights, a good shine would really set that car off!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

haha the guys who stole it are now serving life in prison. they broke into the house, got in the safe and took the spare keys, then broke into the garage (seperate from house) and broke the locks of the doors and drove it 2 states away. the car was strike 3 for them so they got LIFE
Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice car!! looks great! im pretty sure i saw this exact same post the other day on autopia?? lol
Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls6firebird
yea your welcome to give it a try anytime. if ya do the berger and taillights, a good shine would really set that car off!
Yeah I still havent figured out what im gonna do... both or just one or the other. Red sems like the trickiest color. If I had any other color I think it might be an easier decision.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Life..Thats awsome..thats what they should have got. I had our place broke into..not near as bad but stole over $5000 worth of sterio stuff from my dad adn beat the hell out of his old 68 Firebird..had to have new quarters and taillight panel put on it..but insurance paid for it all!! Thank god!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

jesus. Going to be in KY anytime soon?