Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Question about underglow ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Tullis, my 35th must be rice also. clear corners, clear bulbs, big decals, import wheels, painted headlights, rear bumper ground effects.

I've seen a couple f-bodies with neon. While not for everyone, it didn't look too bad. I prefer seeing neon on the interior, if its integrated with a full custom stereo install. Outer neon is kind of an old fad now (like neon license plate frames - yuck!)

I had custom neon installed on the stereo installs of my '93 ranger x-cab and my '96 GT. It looked kick *** for shows.

Tony
Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking of doing underglow on my TA for some time now. I am considering blue on my NBM TA.

I look at it this way. It's my car, I paid for it and if I want to paint it pink with green stripes, I will do it and not worry about what others think.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, everyone is free to do whatever they want with their car. But, the point here is that you should be prepared for honest replies and/or criticism if you are asking for opinions on your ideas or mods.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

What about clear "neons" since there clear there really not neons. Maybe on a white car? I wonder what this would look like I bet are some cars it would look pretty good, just a thought.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My how the tides have changed in this thread.

BTW, i do have blue neon interior and not a single complaint.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

i kno and i like it... and when i install it ill post pics
Old 12-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greekss
i kno and i like it... and when i install it ill post pics
Please do, I'd like to see it.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 12-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Back in the early 90's, I remeber driving past one of the local car hangouts and saw a white are in my rear-view mirror. It has the strangest blow glow coming from under it. I slowed down and saw that is was a pearl white 89-91 mustang gt. It didn't have any super big wings or other stuff that would make it look ricer but the white paint with the blue glow made it look really nice.

I think on some cars, it can look really nice while on others, like a civic, it can look like barf. Most of the cars in 2f2f looked bad with the underglow but I thought that the Skyline looked good with it. I think if it is done right, with a good color combination, they can look pretty good but that is just my opinion.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"Rice is not what you do to ur car"

WRONG. a big WING will always be rice, too much vynil is always rice. Fart cans are rice. 50% of body kits are rice.

also
Old 12-26-2003, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

I say do what you want, if you don't like it you can always take em off. I don't think anyone is making your payments. So until they do its just their opinions and its your car. Do what you want and see if you like it.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Excal

WRONG. a big WING will always be rice, too much vynil is always rice. Fart cans are rice. 50% of body kits are rice.

also
Come tell my friend that his built Supra is 'rice'. Factory big wing and necessary large exhaust. After he proceeds to put 75 lengths on you, you can call it rice again.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rice is one of the most overused term on this forum, rice isn't necessearly putting a big wing or a big muffler on your car, its simiply thinking something is better than it really is. Just my 2 cents.

Wes
Old 12-27-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadz
Rice is one of the most overused term on this forum, rice isn't necessearly putting a big wing or a big muffler on your car, its simiply thinking something is better than it really is. Just my 2 cents.

Wes

EXACTLY...

big wing automatically rice???? how about the spoiler on the '00 Cobra R.?

385 hp 5.4 liter 4 valve......rice???? wings ARE functional on some cars....indy cars have wings....theyre there for a reason.....it's rice when you put a wing on a SLOW car that has absolutely no need for it....
Old 12-28-2003, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Excal

WRONG. a big WING will always be rice...
No, your wrong. If you know your muscle cars, remember the '70 Plymouth Superbird? That had one of the largest wings I've ever seen on a car, but it's certainly not rice.

If I'm not mistaken, underbody neon was actually first done by old-school hot-rodders. I remember my dad taking me to a car show when I was a kid some 12 or 13 years ago. I seen a 50's sedan there (one of those big curvy styled ones). It was lowered and chopped. From underneath I seen a purple glow, and I thought to myself "Wow, I bet that looks cool at night".

Neon isn't rice. Imports are rice.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:47 AM
Launching!

I will vouch for GreekSS saying it might look mean. Back in '95 my buddy had a 94 LT1 burgendy formula with just an exhaust and fog lights we added inside the front slots in the bumper. We mounted red neons behind the front air dam, along the side of car (I think we drilled in 2 spots to loop the mounts through... your original question) and 1 along the panhard rod. The sight and sound of the car pulling out of the garage with just the fog lights and the red neons glowing was evil.

Its your car... do what you like, not what other like. Neons were under cars long before ricers started using them.

Last edited by DarkLordFtT; 12-28-2003 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pentatonic
No, your wrong. If you know your muscle cars, remember the '70 Plymouth Superbird? That had one of the largest wings I've ever seen on a car, but it's certainly not rice.

If I'm not mistaken, underbody neon was actually first done by old-school hot-rodders. I remember my dad taking me to a car show when I was a kid some 12 or 13 years ago. I seen a 50's sedan there (one of those big curvy styled ones). It was lowered and chopped. From underneath I seen a purple glow, and I thought to myself "Wow, I bet that looks cool at night".

Neon isn't rice. Imports are rice.
See he gets it
Old 01-01-2006, 01:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

man i got a 2000 NBM T/A i got white leds neons that will be here in a few days let me put them on and will see if anybody thinks it rice when i have 4 or 5 car lengths on them by the end of 1st gear and if anybody thinks its "rice" ill give you the number to someone who cares cause its far from rice , its just plain mean...
Old 01-01-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Can you say 2 year old thread?
Old 01-01-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Damned grave-robbers.

Quick Reply: Question about underglow ?