Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Old 05-03-2016, 01:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Is there a way to fix tail lights after they have been melted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
heat + direct sun light -many cars without covers have the same thing happen. although it may speed up
the process if it is making them hotter, which i'm not quite sure i believe since i've heard of just as many people
without covers having the same problem. so i think it just depends on how much time your car spends in the sun.
I've never heard of lights without any covers caving in, interesting. I wonder if it gets hot from inside the light? I just figured it was heat trapped in between the black cover and the tail light but I guess not. hmmm
Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hlaalu
I've never heard of lights without any covers caving in, interesting. I wonder if it gets hot from inside the light? I just figured it was heat trapped in between the black cover and the tail light but I guess not. hmmm
Its mostly from the inside, those brake bulbs get HOT
Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^yeah it could be from the inside. i just know that it's not only from having covers.

WELL, I TOOK ONE FOR THE TEAM. it wasn't pretty, and it left me with a light for the trash can. but i tried.

ill post up pictures in a little bit
Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
^yeah it could be from the inside. i just know that it's not only from having covers.

WELL, I TOOK ONE FOR THE TEAM. it wasn't pretty, and it left me with a light for the trash can. but i tried.

ill post up pictures in a little bit
oh boy what happened?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was heat from the bulbs inside you'd think older cars with more miles would be more prone to it. But my car is a 98 with 138k miles and neither of them are melted at all

hlaalu, maybe what you could do is do a light VHT tinting. Not enough to go totally black (or you'd still get trouble from the police) but just to darken them. That's what I did on my car (can see it in my sig pic). Darker, but still can see the white, yellow, and red. Did it this past summer and no trouble yet. Need wetsanded to get more glossy looking but I have no idea how to do it and don't want to mess them up.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

My passenger side looked melted when I bought it. Right now I have covers over them, but I am thinking of buying aftermarket tail lights, just not sure which ones would look good on a pewter car.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If it was heat from the bulbs inside you'd think older cars with more miles would be more prone to it. But my car is a 98 with 138k miles and neither of them are melted at all

hlaalu, maybe what you could do is do a light VHT tinting. Not enough to go totally black (or you'd still get trouble from the police) but just to darken them. That's what I did on my car (can see it in my sig pic). Darker, but still can see the white, yellow, and red. Did it this past summer and no trouble yet. Need wetsanded to get more glossy looking but I have no idea how to do it and don't want to mess them up.
Interesting. How much night driving have you done with your car? I would imagine the more someone drives at night the more the lights are on and the more heat.

And yeah I like that touch of tinting on the lights, looks real good
Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hlaalu
Interesting. How much night driving have you done with your car? I would imagine the more someone drives at night the more the lights are on and the more heat.

And yeah I like that touch of tinting on the lights, looks real good
A fair amount. Not sure about the first 105k miles on the car before I owned it (car has 138k now, I've put 32k since I got it a little over 2 years ago), but since then when I was in college I'd drive back to school from home on the weekends usually at night (1 hour trip) every or every other weekend. Drive to work with the lights on in the morning, and typically on the way back from work too this time of year (2 hours each day). So they are on a fair bit. During the winter, almost constantly because of weather.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

^^I think its mostly from driving in the sun and applying the brakes. This makes me a little paranoid about my tails that I bought recently, even though I am staying away from blackout covers. I am thinking of switching to SMD towers, but its pricey and I have to buy a flasher to keep cruise control working.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
^^I think its mostly from driving in the sun and applying the brakes. This makes me a little paranoid about my tails that I bought recently, even though I am staying away from blackout covers. I am thinking of switching to SMD towers, but its pricey and I have to buy a flasher to keep cruise control working.
My car sits outside all the time (I have no garage) so the tails are subjected to lots and lots of sunlight.

I wouldn't be too worried about it honestly, seems that the majority of the melted lights I've seen have been either the LT1 style (seems they are more prone to it?) or lights that have had blackouts on them.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
My car sits outside all the time (I have no garage) so the tails are subjected to lots and lots of sunlight.

I wouldn't be too worried about it honestly, seems that the majority of the melted lights I've seen have been either the LT1 style (seems they are more prone to it?) or lights that have had blackouts on them.
^^I see what you are saying, but its not from direct sunlight. I believe its mostly from using the brakes as ridiculous as that seems, and that sun light and covers simply speed up the process. Although it is more unlikely to happen to my lights, I will probably still replace the stock bulbs with SMD towers to completely avoid the problem.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hm so perhaps the city drivers have this happen more often? I have been doing around 90% highway since last September.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

I have a cracked LT1 T/A tailight and I was looking around at pep boys and found JB weld that according to them dries "Crystal Clear". I was going to try putting in on the crack kind of like doing a windshield repair. Then block sanding it to the countour of the light and polishing the mess out of it. Of course I was going to try this on a spare light before doing it to the one I need. And for $6 for the JB Weld I figured the idea was woth a shot.
I still havent done it though, but I figured I could share the idea anway.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

i think it could happen to cars that are daily city drivin, stop and go traffic with alot of braking

Quick Reply: Is there a way to fix tail lights after they have been melted?