Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how did yall installs 6LE's cme?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well ima get the tips put on for now, wait for 6LE's 3M tape to come and me and a couple of friends will give it a shop, just wish i didnt agree for the guy to put screws behind the tires where it's noticeable ... but oh well it's not like the piece was that expensive ... lol live and learn it'll be molded one day
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm.... I definitely buy the best tape I can find (industrial 3M, about $20 per valance) but if two people have a problem I am worried.

Is it not sticking to the car or is it not sticking to the valance? If it is the valance I'll talk to my mold guy about it and figure something out.

I also might just start sending the roll uninstalled since maybe it is moisture in shipping (as I haven't had the same problems on my personal car or about 3-4 local cars).

Anyways, haven't checked PM's yet but I'll be sure to have your tape out asap (before the week's over for sure, I'm just working "24" this week so my days are crapped).

As far as screws on the end behind the tires don't sweat it, the old urethane valances came with some screws to stick there as well...

Speaking of, the differences in the flexible fiberglass and the urethane (or at least the reasons for us using FFG instead of U):

1) Stiff so easier to install (sounds comical in this thread but it is true)...
2) Less prone to sun warpage...
3) Less prone to exhaust damage...
4) If you're in an accident any body shop can fix it cheap instead of you having to buy a whole new one...

It costs me a **** ton more to ship (each valance costs $100+ as opposed to $20 to ship folded up urethane) not to mention the $30 worth of boxes and tape but I feel it is a long term better product.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the corners of mine the tape seperated from the valence and body. it was folded up in my friends garage for a few months during the hot summer here. one of these days i'll get some new tape for it. i'd wait to mount the tips until you get the valence where you want it so they're centered right.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Hmmm.... I definitely buy the best tape I can find (industrial 3M, about $20 per valance) but if two people have a problem I am worried.

Is it not sticking to the car or is it not sticking to the valance? If it is the valance I'll talk to my mold guy about it and figure something out.

I also might just start sending the roll uninstalled since maybe it is moisture in shipping (as I haven't had the same problems on my personal car or about 3-4 local cars).

Anyways, haven't checked PM's yet but I'll be sure to have your tape out asap (before the week's over for sure, I'm just working "24" this week so my days are crapped).

As far as screws on the end behind the tires don't sweat it, the old urethane valances came with some screws to stick there as well...

Speaking of, the differences in the flexible fiberglass and the urethane (or at least the reasons for us using FFG instead of U):

1) Stiff so easier to install (sounds comical in this thread but it is true)...
2) Less prone to sun warpage...
3) Less prone to exhaust damage...
4) If you're in an accident any body shop can fix it cheap instead of you having to buy a whole new one...

It costs me a **** ton more to ship (each valance costs $100+ as opposed to $20 to ship folded up urethane) not to mention the $30 worth of boxes and tape but I feel it is a long term better product.
mine is not sticking to the car mostly, atleast that is what it looks like...

Originally Posted by W8S SS
the corners of mine the tape seperated from the valence and body. it was folded up in my friends garage for a few months during the hot summer here. one of these days i'll get some new tape for it. i'd wait to mount the tips until you get the valence where you want it so they're centered right.
and the valence is centered, it's just there are gaps cause the tape is not sticking...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did a lil test fit today, cant wait to have the tips welded on this friday! once im done with this mod i will be done modding my car until summer! i have spent soooooo much money on my exhaust a little over 2K... ... anyways like i said the valence is not that bad you can only tell when your on top of the car but from any other angle it looks nasty!!!!

EDIT - does anyone know why some people have there tips so low to where you can see the actual exhaust pipe? that's how tucked up i want mine that way you will not even see the piping... jw
Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
did a lil test fit today, cant wait to have the tips welded on this friday! once im done with this mod i will be done modding my car until summer! i have spent soooooo much money on my exhaust a little over 2K... ... anyways like i said the valence is not that bad you can only tell when your on top of the car but from any other angle it looks nasty!!!!

EDIT - does anyone know why some people have there tips so low to where you can see the actual exhaust pipe? that's how tucked up i want mine that way you will not even see the piping... jw
You can tuck it as high as you want. Urethane had to leave a gap, not so with our FFG versions. With the exception of the paint, you could put the exhaust right on our piece with no worries of it melting/catching fire.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

was all the wax cleaned off the car before the tape was applied,,, and he didnt touch the tape with his fingers.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's how mine looks.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately I have the OEM valence/tips and the OEM tips on most Camaro's I've seen are a little crooked. The right tip on most OEM CME are a little higher.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love the cme valance and tips wish they were a little cheaper though
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

I got the tips to tuck up pretty tightly!! This is a 6LE valance and OEM tips.

Last edited by phantomzer0; 01-28-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Dude, that picture was NOT work safe.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
I got the tips to tuck up pretty tightly!! This is a 6LE valance and OEM tips.

looks like you got a lil something else tucked in there nicely too...

Last edited by phantomzer0; 01-28-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sick cars guys!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Test fit on mine..just need to get the valence painted and get the pipes together a little better
Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by caseypryan

Test fit on mine..just need to get the valence painted and get the pipes together a little better
Are those OEM tips? They look really close together. Can you post better pics of the tips?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up using ground effects glue to hold mine on. It's called glue but it actually turns into a goopy plastic. It holds great, and does not hurt the paint, if you choose to remove it. I found it at autozone, I think it was like 10 bucks for a tube. i think it's actually called, goop. Lol.

I used the 3m tape, but it just wouldn't hold. I have an SLP valence as well, so it's not just a 6le thing. It's a universal shitty problem with these. I'm going to get mine blended over the summer.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I ended up using ground effects glue to hold mine on. It's called glue but it actually turns into a goopy plastic. It holds great, and does not hurt the paint, if you choose to remove it. I found it at autozone, I think it was like 10 bucks for a tube. i think it's actually called, goop. Lol.

I used the 3m tape, but it just wouldn't hold. I have an SLP valence as well, so it's not just a 6le thing. It's a universal shitty problem with these. I'm going to get mine blended over the summer.
When you put that glue on did it automatically stick or did you have to hold it there until it dried? How do you know it won't harm the paint?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
When you put that glue on did it automatically stick or did you have to hold it there until it dried? How do you know it won't harm the paint?
thats a good question... i was thinking about trying some gorilla glue also but the thing about that is it expands when drying... i just want to get the valence on there and make it look right more than anything, im not worried about taking it off as it will never come off!!! so any other ideas would be appreciated...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I know it wont harm the paint because I used it previously on some RK sport ground effects I had on the car when I first bought it. I had them on for about 2 years when I decided to go a different route.

Ground effects cae off no problem, paint was totally fine! Its like a rubber goo, not really a glue.

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
thats a good question... i was thinking about trying some gorilla glue also but the thing about that is it expands when drying... i just want to get the valence on there and make it look right more than anything, im not worried about taking it off as it will never come off!!! so any other ideas would be appreciated...
I would NOT use gorilla glue. That stuff is actually glue first of all, and secondly it dries like a nasty brown color. If you have runs and ****, it comes out all nasty brown.

If anything, I would secure it to the car with the 3m tape, then hit it with glue from the underside where you cant see the brown colored glue.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I know it wont harm the paint because I used it previously on some RK sport ground effects I had on the car when I first bought it. I had them on for about 2 years when I decided to go a different route.

Ground effects cae off no problem, paint was totally fine! Its like a rubber goo, not really a glue.

I would NOT use gorilla glue. That stuff is actually glue first of all, and secondly it dries like a nasty brown color. If you have runs and ****, it comes out all nasty brown.

If anything, I would secure it to the car with the 3m tape, then hit it with glue from the underside where you cant see the brown colored glue.
yeah that is what i was thinking was to go from the bottom and put the glue on there so i would take the chance of that ugly browness seeping out from the valence.... ima take a look at that goop when i go to an auto part store and see what all they have... thanks for the advice phantomzer0

Quick Reply: how did yall installs 6LE's cme?