Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HIDs honest opinions needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd
those are hte sonars. sparkyjjo is running those so im sure he will chime in some info when he sees your post.

honestly i think you would be fine either way
Is that what they are? I just bought the car on monday and the guy I bought it from had them...I love the way they look, but the lighting is crap with stock halogens.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
Is that what they are? I just bought the car on monday and the guy I bought it from had them...I love the way they look, but the lighting is crap with stock halogens.
yup those are the sonars. those look pretty good.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I think they look great, especially when the halo are on, I'm just having a hard time getting them adjusted correctly. The halogens lights are just too weak...I had HIDs in my '01 SS but not in projectors.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

those are hte sonars. sparkyjjo is running those so im sure he will chime in some info when he sees your post.

honestly i think you would be fine either way
No those aren't sonars. Sonars don't have the third light in the middle between the high beam and low beam. I'm not sure who makes those.

However, those do use H1 bulbs, same as the Sonars. Not sure how good the projector is in them however, not all H1 projectors are created equal.

The reason they say "no HID" is more because of legal reasons. Technically HIDs should only go in D1S or D2S projectors. Those are true HID projectors designed for it. The others are technically halogen projectors. However, I haven't yet seen an issue running HIDs in any of these projectors. I've had HIDs in my Sonars for well over a year with no problems at all. Love them. I'm running 35W 5000k BTW.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Teching In

its really up to you... i kinda like the way the look when i turn on my halos somewhat.
ha i will leave em unplugged im not very savy when it comes to wires haha, and im checking the mail every day im hopin fogs will be here today, but chance i gotta work after class which will delay the fog install till the weekend
Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
No those aren't sonars. Sonars don't have the third light in the middle between the high beam and low beam. I'm not sure who makes those.

However, those do use H1 bulbs, same as the Sonars. Not sure how good the projector is in them however, not all H1 projectors are created equal.

The reason they say "no HID" is more because of legal reasons. Technically HIDs should only go in D1S or D2S projectors. Those are true HID projectors designed for it. The others are technically halogen projectors. However, I haven't yet seen an issue running HIDs in any of these projectors. I've had HIDs in my Sonars for well over a year with no problems at all. Love them. I'm running 35W 5000k BTW.
Well either way, it looks like 35w will be the safest way to go...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I actuallenjoy the lights in the middle...I have them wired to come on with my DRLs...pretty sweet looking. I would have wired them to my fogs, but the car was already wired for the DRLs. Maybe once I get some HIDs i'll rewire them...
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I installed my 4300K hids in my fogs last night and the color is sick! pure white and they have a nice cutoff.

I got 35 W for lows and fogs by the way, and it is PLENTY bright. I don't understand why ppl would want 55W. Trying to make it daytime I guess

NOTE: I recommend buying relay harnesses for the lows and the fogs.. They will always come on and there will be no flickering...

Last edited by Ls1CamaroGuy87; 03-05-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

DDM 35w Kit. End of story.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 AM

Wow just started researching tonight on looking into HIDs and Projectors... already know what i need and want!! Thanks a lot guys, this really helped me!! oh and btw could i email some of u guys with sum other ?s.. Sparky and bobbyd man! Thanks for the info yall shared!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 AM

Hey OnebadSS.. you gonna be going to Rod Runs this Saturday in Pigeon Forge man?? I live over on Cherokee lake in jeff city! Gonna b there all weekend long! id like to see ur headlights bro if u get a chance! or a pic would work lol
Old 04-12-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06vsZ28
Wow just started researching tonight on looking into HIDs and Projectors... already know what i need and want!! Thanks a lot guys, this really helped me!! oh and btw could i email some of u guys with sum other ?s.. Sparky and bobbyd man! Thanks for the info yall shared!
Sure go ahead, PM away, I'll try to help if I can
Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Im still looking to see what is out there though??? Ive heard of Whistlers?? Not sure whats the difference in those and stock? LMAO.. all i see are stripes in em?? and they are more clear.. but other than that there is no exterior difference to me? And the Sonars? so far all im reading is bad reviews on how they fit? so idk.. what others do u suggest?? and what is too expensive of a price for Dual Halo Projectors??
Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whistler is stock headlights with the non-reflector parts painted black.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:05 PM

Got yea.. Ok cool.. guess it would save you alot of $$? It's just mine have really bad Fog issues, they aren't very clear, and ive tried toothpaste, and even that Maguires Headlight polish.. and nothing! So im just gonna buy new Halo's..
Old 04-18-2010, 01:51 PM

What other brands are out there, other than the Sonars, Eagle Eyes, and R8 style ones on ebay??? I am going to do my Headlights and fogs at the same time.. so just wondering... could i custom fit projectors into the R8 style??? Thatd b sweet.. but alot of $$$

Quick Reply: HIDs honest opinions needed!!