Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Started to wetsand and wheel my car (detailing not repaint)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Started to wetsand and wheel my car (detailing not repaint)

I meant to post this up awhile ago but when I first bought my car it had a lot of little scratches in it like brush marks, as if previous owner took it through A LOT of drive through car washes....

I started to do this last summer but I didn't get around to finishing it since its a pretty time consuming project.

My boss just started up a new detailing business (est may of 08) and it has been going very well. Well me being his main detailer I get to do what ever I want when ever I want to my car, I also have detailed for 2 years at a dealership previously to working for him.

Anyways on to the pics... These scratches not something that can be buffed out, well they probably can but I decided to use a 3000 grit trizac pad on a sander.

Here are some of the pics....

Wetsanded....

Wheeled..... ( heavy cut w/ yellow pad, light cut w/ green pad, polish w/ green pad, STS 3000 wax )

Wetsanded-

Wheeled-

So far I have right front fender, pass door, sail panel, pass rear fender, bumper, back of rear hatch, spoiler, drivers rear fender DONE!

So I have the drivers door and the bumper to do, also the hood but it really needs to be repainted (ebay SS hood)
Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you are aware, but someone switched your detailing stuff with Ketchup and Mustard
Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Not sure if you are aware, but someone switched your detailing stuff with Ketchup and Mustard
haha! Well it worked pretty good

You can buy them from the dollar store, works great since we buy our stuff in bulk.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcalus
haha! Well it worked pretty good

You can buy them from the dollar store, works great since we buy our stuff in bulk.
So basically you are using fine *** sand paper and sanding down a little of the clear coat? I wish that would work for deep scratches, I have one on my door that goes down to the primer its about an inch long. Something in the shop fell on it...

Oh and the detail looks good
Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

So basically you are using fine *** sand paper and sanding down a little of the clear coat? I wish that would work for deep scratches, I have one on my door that goes down to the primer its about an inch long. Something in the shop fell on it...

Oh and the detail looks good
Couldn't of explained it better myself.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

lookin good, cant wait to see the finished product
Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very nice man! Have you tried the Meguiar's 105 and 205 combo? It eliminates the 3 step system that has traditionally been used. 105 is the compound, 205 is the finishing polish. It uses microabrasives, which allow the process to go from 1500 sanding scratches to an LS ready finish in 2 steps.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

That 3000 grit trizac pad saves a lot of time..I always use them!!..Nice work btw..
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Searching4Sierra
lookin good, cant wait to see the finished product
Thank you! I should look pretty flawless when the sun hits it! No more swirls finally!!!

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
Looks very nice man! Have you tried the Meguiar's 105 and 205 combo? It eliminates the 3 step system that has traditionally been used. 105 is the compound, 205 is the finishing polish. It uses microabrasives, which allow the process to go from 1500 sanding scratches to an LS ready finish in 2 steps.
Sounds pretty neat, I haven't heard of this! Really all I have used is 3M's line up and Detail kings line up.

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
That 3000 grit trizac pad saves a lot of time..I always use them!!..Nice work btw..
Thank you!!! The trizac pad does work some wonders, espically if your looking to scuff up a small scratch and dont want to worry about sand scratches.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet job man. but if you have clear coat bubbling on the sail panel wouldn't wetsanding speed up the process.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Looks good. This is the Trizac 3m product? I hadn't seen this before. What type of sander do you use it with? I've hand wet sanded before and if this can be done by machine that would make life easier especially when I got to paint my 69.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

With the Trizac you can use them on a D/A sander. I use 1500 then move up to the 3000 after Iv painted a car...makes buffing sooo much faster and easyer. Its pretty cool how it works! You wouldnt think its sandpaper its that soft..
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
sweet job man. but if you have clear coat bubbling on the sail panel wouldn't wetsanding speed up the process.
Im not sure. Luckly I dont have that issue.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

looks good. how did wetsanding the sail panel turn out? mine has a ton of swirl marks but i'm afraid to sand it because it also has those stupid bubbles.

you can fill it in with some touch up paint, then wet sand it down to match the rest of the paint.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlaalu
looks good. how did wetsanding the sail panel turn out? mine has a ton of swirl marks but i'm afraid to sand it because it also has those stupid bubbles.

you can fill it in with some touch up paint, then wet sand it down to match the rest of the paint.
it turned out great! i had a ton of swirls also. The sandpaper is so fine i dont think it will effect the bubbles. just imo
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Very nice! That sail panel looks sweet.. I wonder about the sanding process on it as well, if you have the bubbles. I am starting to get them just a little bit so don't want to make it worse by sanding. Plan on detailing mine this spring sometime but don't think it needs sand paper just yet, just some compound.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks great keep updating!!! will be this this to my TA soon!!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sanding the bubbles down and touching them up is only going to bandaid the situation and give it a short term fix. The problem isn't the paint, it's under the paint. It will just bubbles right back up again.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
With the Trizac you can use them on a D/A sander. I use 1500 then move up to the 3000 after Iv painted a car...makes buffing sooo much faster and easyer. Its pretty cool how it works! You wouldnt think its sandpaper its that soft..
I will definitly have to try this out after I paint the 69 now. I had read that doing this with a sander was going to be too rough and cause too deep of scratch marks. I've done hand wet sanding on everything I've painted so far and doing it on the whole car will be a nightmare.

Quick Reply: Started to wetsand and wheel my car (detailing not repaint)