Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Has anybody put the stinger stripe kit on their camaro themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

don't see why that wouldn't work for a Matte black manta........
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacked_Out_SS
don't see why that wouldn't work for a Matte black manta........
elaborate...
Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea what exactly r u talkin bout?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

i put it on myself, and my car is the first picture in your attachments lol
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Launching!

damn hlaalu... lol.. i just got that from the fourthcircledesigns.com website... looks good... but i really dont have the patience for that.. and if i mess up, ill be even more pissed off... btw hlaalu i like the avatar pic...lol... "ooooh you touch my tra lala, mmmmm my ding ding dong"..lmao
Old 02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly man if you just get the water a lil more soapy then you can have as long as it takes to get it in that right spot. I bought my dick harrel stripes from fourthcircledesigns and it took about 8 (one side one night, second side the next day!!!) hours to do the stripes

3 pieces on each side and I HAD to make sure it was perfect on each sides. I had 2 friends help me and I tell ya what it was about to bust my brain but when we finally got It done I was glad I didn't pay over a hundred dollars for a decal to be put on. It may not be completely perfect but it will still look great said and done. Mine is off from passenger to driver on the door by may 3/16 of an inch. Now that's some **** **** right there.

I got faith in you. I really hope you try to donthis yourself. You will be really happy you done it by yourself
Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Launching!

well all said n done cody i think ill do it myself cause that $100 could be spent on an oil change or something useful... once the spring hits here in Illinois ill work up the patience to do it myself
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

anyone prefer to paint it on instead of putting an overlay on? does the vinyl get swirl marks on it from washing etc?? I have wanted the manta for a long time but did not want to dump a ton of money on getting it painted on, but also dont want something that is going to look cheap either you know?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Launching!

im sure it'll get the swirl marks when you wash it, just like the regular paint on your car does but with a few coats of zaino (i swear by that stuff) all over the car including the overlays, itll look like the rest of the car.. my car is a garage queen, last year i think i put on 600 miles in 6 months.. that vinyl is gunna last the life of the car thats why i opted not to get it painted on
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jblazy18
damn hlaalu... lol.. i just got that from the fourthcircledesigns.com website... looks good... but i really dont have the patience for that.. and if i mess up, ill be even more pissed off... btw hlaalu i like the avatar pic...lol... "ooooh you touch my tra lala, mmmmm my ding ding dong"..lmao
lol thanks man. some tips for you to consider....

prep the car with dawn and alcohol, make sure it's nice and clean
have a large spray bottle with a few drops of soap and water.
i took the whole backing off the decal, sprayed it nice and well
spray the car down, everything should be good and wet
put the decal down, you will be able to move it around wherever
squeegy from the inside to the outside
have a friend hold a blow-dryer to the edges so the vinyl can be stretched around the curves

start with the back ones, they are cake
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TUCKZ28SS
anyone prefer to paint it on instead of putting an overlay on? does the vinyl get swirl marks on it from washing etc?? I have wanted the manta for a long time but did not want to dump a ton of money on getting it painted on, but also dont want something that is going to look cheap either you know?
1.) i think paint look a LOT better than vinyl stripes, IMHO. if you look up LS1Camaroguy87's car (monterey maroon met. with painted on black stripes--anniv. style), or homerunhtr's car (white with painted black stripes on his sunoco hood) -- both of their paint jobs look amazing. those are the 2 cars that come to mind when i think of painted on stripes.

the only problem, is that they are irreversible, which may end up being an issue if you end up not wanting them anymore. ls1camaroguy has said that if he could, he'd get rid of the stripes now since he wants the cleaner look now.
--that, and also the price, are the downsides of painted on stripes.

2) my stripes have/get NO swirl marks. the vinyl is actually very durable/easy to clean, and does not look cheap at all. Most people who see my car ask me if i got the stripes painted on, or how much was it to get them painted on. they really do look good. and you can wax them and all just like the rest of the car.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
2) my stripes have/get NO swirl marks. the vinyl is actually very durable/easy to clean, and does not look cheap at all. Most people who see my car ask me if i got the stripes painted on, or how much was it to get them painted on. they really do look good. and you can wax them and all just like the rest of the car.
i agree with you here. you still wax the decals like you would the car, and they come out great.
and plus most of the stripes on the new cars these days are vinyl, but i sure would like to get mine painted on in the future, nothing beats the look of paint
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

^same here. since i know that i like the look of them on my car, i know i'd never regret painting them on.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

I put them on all the time, my dog has even helped !! LOL
Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
1.) i think paint look a LOT better than vinyl stripes, IMHO. if you look up LS1Camaroguy87's car (monterey maroon met. with painted on black stripes--anniv. style), or homerunhtr's car (white with painted black stripes on his sunoco hood) -- both of their paint jobs look amazing. those are the 2 cars that come to mind when i think of painted on stripes.

the only problem, is that they are irreversible, which may end up being an issue if you end up not wanting them anymore. ls1camaroguy has said that if he could, he'd get rid of the stripes now since he wants the cleaner look now.
--that, and also the price, are the downsides of painted on stripes.

yea i agree. no swirl marks on vinyl and i was worried about that and if it would peel in a heavy rain or if i rinsed the car too hard. so far so good. if u paint it on it is irreversible and will cost about 3x's more than vinyl. i was quoted around 600 to 700 to get them painted on. painted would look great, but i just dont have the money to throw down on a paint job right now. it think it looks good as is. no cheap feeling to it.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

thanks hlaalu n everybody for the info... basic principle i guess is just get it real wet and squeegee when you got it lined up..... im on the same page as not getting it painted... i know i like the look of the manta but taste change.. i know mine has and if i paint it im stuck with it unless i get it repainted. or god forbid...i get in an accident... there goes $600-700 bucks.. and the whole car lol...
Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jblazy18
thanks hlaalu n everybody for the info... basic principle i guess is just get it real wet and squeegee when you got it lined up..... im on the same page as not getting it painted... i know i like the look of the manta but taste change.. i know mine has and if i paint it im stuck with it unless i get it repainted. or god forbid...i get in an accident... there goes $600-700 bucks.. and the whole car lol...
yup, don't forget to have a buddy standing by with a blow dryer, the heat really helps the vinyl to stretch.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Launching!

i will.. ive been replaying in my head how im gunna do it and what im gunna need..lol... and my wife has a nice HUGE (expensive) blow dryer i can use..
Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to resurrect an old thread here.

I just ordered the manta for my SS so I'm doing some searching.

jblazy18, it looks like from you avatar the stripe is on your car. Did you end up doing it yourself, or did you pay somebody to install?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Launching!

not my pic.. i stole it ... but its what i want my car to look like..i have yet to install it due to house projects...ie leaking water heater..

Quick Reply: Has anybody put the stinger stripe kit on their camaro themselves?