Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Has anybody put the stinger stripe kit on their camaro themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody put the stinger stripe kit on their camaro themselves?

I recently ordered the Manta Ray Stinger Stripe kit from FourthCircleDesigns.com and the directions are confusing and knowing me ill put the overlays on crooked or something. I originally was going to put them on myself but now im thinking i should take the camaro to a body shop or a place that installs overlays. I live by SpeedInc but i dont think they do stuff like that. Can anybody give me some info? Is there anybody on here that has ordered the same thing (not necessarily from the same site) and it came out good?... i need your guys' help on this
Attached Thumbnails Has anybody put the stinger stripe kit on their camaro themselves?-stinger3.jpg   Has anybody put the stinger stripe kit on their camaro themselves?-stinger1.jpg  
Old 02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

it may seem a bit intimidating, but its really not that bad to install stripes. i've done a set on my camaro and also the Trans Am.

you're gonna want to start by taking some scissors, and cutting away all the excess paper around the stripes. only leave about an 1/8 of an inch around the stripe.

now that you have a more manageable piece to deal with, bring it out to the car and fit it into place using some masking tape. line it up exactly where you want it to be .

then stick some pieces of masking tape on the car, RIGHT next to the stripe/paper, but not sticking the paper to the car. these are the important pieces. add them at various places around the stripes, as many as you chose, the more the better. then take a sharpie and make 2 dash marks per piece of tape you just added. the dash mark should go from the tape, on to the stripe/paper. these will be your place holders to line up the stripes.

once you have enough of the place holders that you feel confident you'll be able to line it back up, then you can remove the tape that is actually holding the stripe/paper onto the car.

materials-- if you have not already, clean the area receiving the stripes very good, preferably with some rubbing alcohol. this will assure that the decal adheres good to the paint. you're gonna want to mix a solution in a spray bottle. water, with a little dish or car soap (doesn't really matter). and also grab a hair blow dryer or heat gun, and have it plugged in and ready to go. hopefully they sent you a little squegee with your stripes. if not, you're going to need one, this is the most important tool.

Now that you've got everything ready, its time for the fun part. get your stripe, and your solution in the spray bottle. spray your fingers a little, and then peel away the CLEAR layer of plastic backing, NOT the paper. spray down, VERY generously, the stripes (both sides of the stripes). also spray down, VERY generously, the hood. and lay the stripes down and line all of the dash marks up.

working from the CENTER of the stripe, sguegee OUTWARDS to remove the water solution, while keeping the decal lined up with the dash marks. once you've got it fairly set, with most of the mater out. break out the heat gun. this will be your best friend, especially when you get down to the thin stripes that wrap around the scoop.

I forgot to mention, the ENTIRE time you are squegee'ing the water out, you want to keep spraying the paper down with the solution, so that the top is wet. this helps the squegee glide better and dosent put as much harsh pressure on the stripes.

continue sguegee'ing the stripes, and heating them up until they have adhered everywhere. once you feel good about it take a breather. give it a few minutes and let it sit. check it to see if any areas around the edges start to stick up and go back over them with the heat gun/squegee.

once they've set for about 10 minutes (or more), spray a little of your solution on the back corner (closest to the windshield) of the paper, and begin peeling it back. SLOWLY, work your way to the front, spraying it down as you go. and when you pull it, keep the excess (the part you're holding) as close to the car as possible, don't pull straight upwards. the the vinyl should stay down okay, if it starts to pull up, lay the paper back down over it and apply pressure/squegee it to get it back down. and let it sit for a while longer.

If you have any bubbles (you may have a few small ones) dont get too worried, its no big deal. hopefully they aren't any huge pockets. if you just have a few tiny ones. leave them (unless they are VERY close to the edge and you think you can squegee them out). check back in a few days. leave the car parked in the sun as much as possible so they dry out really good. most likely they will dry out and disappear. if they do not, no worries. grab a safety pin, and puncture a tiny hole. just BARELY poke it right in the center of the air bubble. and then press down on the pocket with your finger and it will disappear before your eyes. Hopefully these steps will be unnecessary, but theres always a chance,

Well, you should be all good at this point. now sit back, and enjoy you're work. now you take some pictures, and post them up for the world to see.

hope this helps

the only in-process shot i have to show the tape and dash mark place holders

and when it was all over

Last edited by crimson_bird; 02-21-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

HOLY **** i wrote a lot!!!!!! why cant i do that for school!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha idk but thats a great write up! that should be sticky in hall of fame!

this makes me think i can do mines lol could be a bad idea...
Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Launching!

damn crimson_bird i have absolutely no questions after that writeup...i will definitely post pictures once the weather is nice enough.. its 28 degrees right now and dead of winter in Illinois, but as soon as it is nice enough ill start this little project and post pics.... this write-up should definitley be a sticky!!... thanks again man and now i cant wait to do it!

!!!STICKY WORTHY!! ^^^^^
Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
HOLY **** i wrote a lot!!!!!! why cant i do that for school!
ha, thats what i always say. if only i spent as much time writing on my report as i did on ls1tech.
crimson birds write up is excellent. but in all honesty, the manta stripe is pretty hard to line up correctly. when i did mine a couple of months, i was debating doing mine. i decided to let a pro do it. this guy was an elder man that has been doing it for 20+ years and he still had trouble with it. the pinstripes on the manta are very difficult. the stripes on the rear will be pretty easy. but the actually manta stripe might give u trouble. something to consider.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The soapy solution mix is your best friend, use it generously ... And patience, be patient, take your time ...
Old 02-21-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are you spraying the solution onto the adhesive side of the stripe and on the hood where its gonna stick?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by APG12
are you spraying the solution onto the adhesive side of the stripe and on the hood where its gonna stick?
Ya do both.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Yahelou
ha, thats what i always say. if only i spent as much time writing on my report as i did on ls1tech.
crimson birds write up is excellent. but in all honesty, the manta stripe is pretty hard to line up correctly. when i did mine a couple of months, i was debating doing mine. i decided to let a pro do it. this guy was an elder man that has been doing it for 20+ years and he still had trouble with it. the pinstripes on the manta are very difficult. the stripes on the rear will be pretty easy. but the actually manta stripe might give u trouble. something to consider.
yeah, in all honesty, i'd feel a bit less confident dealing with the manta, because of the way it is designed. i mean, i would do it myself, but i would definitely have to work myself up to it. all of us who have done something like the ceta mod/berger panel as a DIY project know this feeling. once you start scuffing/wetsanding the paint you know theres no turning back!

For the people reading this who choose to pay someone to do it, try and find a place that does vinyl wraps, and custom stuff like that. those guys will know exactly what they are doing. or someone who you are positive has done this kind of stuff and knows their ****. ---there is NO wosre feeling than taking your car to someone, to do something you don't feel you can do, only to find out that they dont actually know how either.

for appearance stuff, i'm a big do-it-yourself'r. with enough research i'm willing to try pretty much anything. with a good amount of knowledge, a good plan, and patience, you can do most appearance things.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 02-21-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Launching!

now you guys are making me consider just taking it to a professional to do... does anybody have a figure on how much it would cost?... i cant imagine more than a $100-$150... hey snakestomper n gordo78 did u guys do the manta yourself?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jblazy18
now you guys are making me consider just taking it to a professional to do... does anybody have a figure on how much it would cost?... i cant imagine more than a $100-$150... hey snakestomper n gordo78 did u guys do the manta yourself?
I did mine yup. It really wasn't too hard just required patience. Everyone including the company you bought it from will say the shape is very complicated to work with (and it is). If you want to spend 100 bux to have a 40 dollar vinyl put on thats you're choice. I just went a little too crazy poking bubbles out right after i did it, and some of them have opened up a little bit after 2 years so i'm doing a new vinyl soon. Just remember there will be small bubbles all over in it for a week or more depending on the weather afterwards, but THEY WILL work themselves out with time/sunlight. The rears are a piece of cake no need to have a professional do them, just take the spoiler off and do the bottom, then put it back on after it dries for a day or so, and line up the top one on the spoiler.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jblazy18
I helped my buddy do mine. He has extreme patience and I don't LOL ... If you don't have patience I suggest you take it somewhere. If you're a patient guy, I believe the kit comes with 2 sets now right because they know you might mess up. So do the 1st yourself and if you mess up take the 2nd to a shop or someone else ...

Edit: I got my kit from here ... http://www.3rdgendecals.com/Manta.htm

Last edited by SnakeStomper; 02-21-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Nope..only got 1 set... fourthcircledesigns only gives u 1 manta... but the whole kit only costs $65 compared to $150 from 3rdgendecals.. so i have no room for error...and saying that it might be worth the extra $100 to let a professional do it.. yea spending 100 bucks to install a $65 decal set might sound dumb but to me it'll be worth it in the end when my camaro will look the way i want it too with no defects... ill lose the gratification of knowing i did it, but id rather lose that than have to look at a manta decal thats crooked or coming off, and spend another $35 and have to take it somewhere after all that.... thanks guys for making me realize this!...lol
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

yeah, don't do it if you really dont feel comfortable with it. get someone to do it, and you'll be happy when its all done.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Launching!

thanks again crimson_bird... im tellin you that should be a sticky!... that's a clever way to install overlays if somebody is looking to do it them self, and i don't remember seeing a do-it-yourself sticky on overlays...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

just for ur knowledge i paid $140 to install manta and hockey stripes. i kind of wish i did the hockey stripes myself, they were pretty easy. manta was hard, im glad i let the pro do it. like everyone says, u need alot of patience to do this.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crimson nailed it as usual. My only input is if you get reflective vinyl DO NOT spray a soapy solution on the adhesive side of the vinyl. It is very hard to get that type of vinyl to stick after it gets wet, which makes it a little harder to apply.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Launching!

thanks for the price range yahelou... i figured it would be around $100-$150...its not reflective so it wont be that hard but ill just drop it off to a professional and pick it up when its done...
Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

yea im thinkin about doing mine sometime soon, glade i came across this!

Quick Reply: Has anybody put the stinger stripe kit on their camaro themselves?