Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

7,092mi undercarriage detaling, how far should i go????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM02CETA,
HaHa, this LT1 never had a drop of rust anywhere. The factory parts are in perfect shape. The car has never seen rain or snow I almost wish there was some rust so I was not so **** about driving the damn thing.. LOL

Thanks for the comps!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got back from getting my oil changed and they were complimenting me on how clean my underbody was (my rear diff isn't even rusty. for some reason i thought it was) They even said they see 2 year old cars with undercarriages not as clean as mine. i was trying to track down an oil leak which might just be old oil that was hidden here and there (there was quite a bit in a plastic cable cover over the return line hose)

anyway it was really funny. we got to talking about LT1's and their "factory rustproofing" and one of the guys was like "yeah usually when these come in they are covered in oil underneath all the way to the back of the car"

mine wasn't too bad other than the aforementioned hose and some on the trans pan. they did say it looked like there was some leaking around the passenger side head but that could have been leftover from the valve cover gaskets a couple years ago.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a sebring silver car, I was gonna use Duplicolor rubberized black undercoating to do the bottom of my car. Its real clean and looks like the factory color but there a couple of rust spots starting from driving in rain. I wish I could keep that factory grey paint look is there any kind of like grey colored coating I can use? Or just go for it and have a black underbody lol.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I just got back from getting my oil changed and they were complimenting me on how clean my underbody was (my rear diff isn't even rusty. for some reason i thought it was) They even said they see 2 year old cars with undercarriages not as clean as mine. i was trying to track down an oil leak which might just be old oil that was hidden here and there (there was quite a bit in a plastic cable cover over the return line hose)

anyway it was really funny. we got to talking about LT1's and their "factory rustproofing" and one of the guys was like "yeah usually when these come in they are covered in oil underneath all the way to the back of the car"

mine wasn't too bad other than the aforementioned hose and some on the trans pan. they did say it looked like there was some leaking around the passenger side head but that could have been leftover from the valve cover gaskets a couple years ago.
I just looked at your pics again, and this is definitely a non-factory coating of some sort. (Is that oil...??) I don't know what it is, but it isn't factory. The crusty stuff on the rocker panels is factory though.

Here's a pic of the underside of our factory original/stock '95 Z28 we've owned since '95. This was in 2006 when it was around maybe 70k miles. It's been in New Mexico and Texas and always garaged (but driven in the rain when it rains) so this is about as good as you can expect of an LT1 car. I think the mess might be a bit of power steering leak in addition to oil.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't think it is oil. it is some sort of a ruff coating. i do think the car was rustproofed because the carfas says that there was an undercoating applied at a dealership in 2002 during some routine maintenance.

heres 2 pics from 08. i know i didn't have any oil on there then because we wiped the car down after the gaskets got fixed.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 03-15-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Wow those are some clean underbodies. I want to do this soon.
haha you dont need to nick your car is friggin spotless! but i did it 3 days ago if it makes you feel better haha
Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i need to do that to my undercarriage too
Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

2002 WS.6 w/16,000 miles.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do I spy the typical power steering fluid leak on the rack? Our '02 SS had it, and it's at 17k now. Not much of a leak, just weeping a bit.

Do you happen to have a leak at the speedometer sensor as well? I'm curious if that's really typical of these cars or not. Again, just weeping a bit.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Do I spy the typical power steering fluid leak on the rack? Our '02 SS had it, and it's at 17k now. Not much of a leak, just weeping a bit.

Do you happen to have a leak at the speedometer sensor as well? I'm curious if that's really typical of these cars or not. Again, just weeping a bit.
It's been a year since I took those pictures, I don't remember any leaking but it doesn't mean that I didn't have something leaking a little. I crawled under the WS.6 today and did see a little "weeping" from the power steering, but nothing on the T56.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think those power steering seals on the rack just go bad and they just never have an opportunity to leak on the ground. Coincidentally, all three of our cars had the same leak! The speedometer sensor on both Camaros ('95 and '02) was leaking too. Kind of weird, which is why I brought it up.

Quick Reply: 7,092mi undercarriage detaling, how far should i go????