Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Alancantra vs Real Leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alancantra vs Real Leather

I started painting my panels black a couple weeks ago. and I hate it.

So Im looking for other options.

I hate fake anything. So fake leather/vinyl, isnt really an option. (maybe)

But between a real hide of leather and alancantra, what would you guy wrap everything in.

I was thinking about wrapping all the panels in alancantra and then the doors would be contrasted with real CF inserts.

Center console?

What do you guys think?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I really agree with you, painted interior is even worse then stock. Your idea could work.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Plenty of car manufactures BMW, Lamborghini, and Maserati to name a few use Alcantara brand fabrics in their vehicles. It is high quality stuff, but very pricey. I believe Ultrasuede, the brand, might be somehow associated with Alcantara and they also offer high quality synthetic suedes.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm wrapping my interior in black microsuede, and eventually i'll have my center console hydrodipped carbon fiber, vinyl door panels, microsuede inserts...maybe. I'm not fully prioritizing this until summertime.. but I did just pick up a sewing machine and will be starting on the upper console lid, shifter boot, parking brake boot, and a dash piece this week once i get the material from the mail. If I wasn't going for the blacked out look, w/ my matte black stripes and all..I would go all black vinyl wrapped interior. alcantara is nice, but starting to get a wee bit too common in econoboxes, such as lancer ralliarts. I say go all vinyl or leather, if money is not a considerable factor.

EDIT:: and yeah painting our interiors are soo ricey, i just hate it when ppl paint their upper console and dash trim pieces in glossy colors. dying the plastic panels w/ that special SEM paint is fine, since it comes out looking stockish. I painted my 94 camaros interior and it didn't look too bad...but when you see the contrast between it's OE black panels and spray painted panels.. it makes you wanna throw up.

Last edited by Trans Am Jam; 03-13-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Try Allante, do a search, you can find it. Its very reasonable and very soft.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vikingramair
I really agree with you, painted interior is even worse then stock. Your idea could work.
Yea, I just want my car on the road, but I dont even want these panels in my car.

Originally Posted by blertawho
Plenty of car manufactures BMW, Lamborghini, and Maserati to name a few use Alcantara brand fabrics in their vehicles. It is high quality stuff, but very pricey. I believe Ultrasuede, the brand, might be somehow associated with Alcantara and they also offer high quality synthetic suedes.
I havent done too much research, but it seems that it would be worth using alancantra vs any suede. I dont wanna do this again.

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
I'm wrapping my interior in black microsuede, and eventually i'll have my center console hydrodipped carbon fiber, vinyl door panels, microsuede inserts...maybe. I'm not fully prioritizing this until summertime.. but I did just pick up a sewing machine and will be starting on the upper console lid, shifter boot, parking brake boot, and a dash piece this week once i get the material from the mail. If I wasn't going for the blacked out look, w/ my matte black stripes and all..I would go all black vinyl wrapped interior. alcantara is nice, but starting to get a wee bit too common in econoboxes, such as lancer ralliarts. I say go all vinyl or leather, if money is not a considerable factor.

EDIT:: and yeah painting our interiors are soo ricey, i just hate it when ppl paint their upper console and dash trim pieces in glossy colors. dying the plastic panels w/ that special SEM paint is fine, since it comes out looking stockish. I painted my 94 camaros interior and it didn't look too bad...but when you see the contrast between it's OE black panels and spray painted panels.. it makes you wanna throw up.
Well, I used SEM, but it still looks bad.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Try Allante, do a search, you can find it. Its very reasonable and very soft.
Ill check it out thanks.

Well, time for work. Keep throwing out the ideas guys. Ill be back at 6
Old 03-13-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

LoL isn't alancantra fake/synth suede ? vinyl leather would prob be ur cheapest and best route IMO
Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Real Alcantara , imo , both looks and feels better than real suede . Real suede would be a complete nightmare to care for in a setting like a car interior due to its cleaning needs and the fact it should get wet , body oils can make it look bad ect ect . Alcantara is washable with mild soap and water , air dry and brush with a soft brush after dry .

When ur looking for microsuede , keep in mind alcantara is a brand name . Of all the different microsuede samples I have , the difference between different brands is very drastic . IMO , the best looking/feeling non alcantara is the brand Ultrasuede . From there it goes down . Alcantara is the best of the best though , its just in a whole nother league .

I can post pics of different samples next to eash other if youd like ...IF I can get a accurate portrayal of each thru the camera , microsuede is hard to photograph .

I would not be afraid to use vinyl either for paneling . Getting around the mentality of its not real leather , It really serves a functional purpose and its what the OEM's ...even brands like lexus , mercedes and BMW use on plastic panels that are covered . Hell in OEMs leather is only used on the seating surfaces , sides and backs are vinyl equivelent . Real leather needs alot of maintanence to stay in good shape , so its just not practical to use it on panels . All vinyl manufacturers require just a wash with warm soapy water and thats it , their UV rated , moisture and mold ratings are high and abrasion properties are quite high . Once you get away from typical commercial vinly u typically see at a local fabric store and into higher quality automotive vinyl , alot of it looks as good or better than real leather . Vinyl also has the proper stretch properties you need to cover panels than leather simply just not have without getting into stitching to pieces together to get around comples curves and such . All current typical automotive leather grains have a vinyl equivelent to match it . If u need any help Ive got a ton of part #'s , OEM guides per manufacturer of whats used per brand and sample books for automotive leather and vinyl and lots of choices with GM's ebony or black .

Last edited by LT4vert; 03-13-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

alancantra ftw!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iyyob
LoL isn't alancantra fake/synth suede ? vinyl leather would prob be ur cheapest and best route IMO
yea but its an upgrade.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alcantara is the way to go, but you have to be careful it can react to UV if the car sits in sunlight most of the time. I have a ton of items in Alacantara and it looks and feels amazing. I will agree; it is pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Alancantra vs Real Leather