Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HOW TO: Trans Am DRL Switchbacks

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I sent the switchback to autolumination. They received it, they tested it, they say its working perfectly. WTF. They want me to pay shipping and handling to send me another switchback and are still trying to convince me to buy load equalizers. I don't know whats going on anymore...
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After a while of driving with a regular bulb on one side of my car I decided to suck it up and buy another switchback bulb (Against my better judgement). Bulb came in And I installed it. Worked OK except for when the headlights are on. If I have the headlights on and the turn signal on at the same time the white LEDs won't shut off a when the yellow ones flash so the yellow isn't visible at all. I though maybe there was a problem with my wiring so I switched the right and left side bulbs and the problem stayed with that one bulb. My sockets are basically new, I installed then last summer.

After seeing that the problem stayed with the same bulb as it was switched from one side to the other I am convinced that there is a problem with the bulb.

I emailed autolumination and they suggested the bulb might be on backwards. I fliped the bulb around and still got the same result. I emailed them a week ago letting them know this and asking for further help.

They replied agreeing to an RMA but insisting that I install load equalizers in order to make it work. I don't think anyone on this thread has needed to install load equalizers. I think they are just trying to get me to buy more of their stuff.

I am running Tridon EL12 flashers, my wiring is in good condition, my sockets are new, my housings are new (so water damage is not the culprit) and everything has always been protected with di electric grease.

What do you guys think? Do I need load equalizers? Is it the bulb? Do you think autolumination is trying to rip me off? Has anyone else had this kind of problem?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could really use some advice on the post above ^^^. Please help me out guys.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue until I finally caved and got the load eqs. That fixed it.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Thank you for posting, this thread isn't dead after all.

Could you explain more about how you added the equalizers? Model and brand? Cost? Installation tips etc...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

I ordered the ones from autolumination and just followed their diagram. They say to mount them to something that isn't plastic or painted because those suckers get HOT, but I couldn't find a good place. I ended up just getting the wiring tangled enough that they kinda hovered behind the lower opening. That probably wasn't the safest option, but they weren't there for very long, so whatever. I actually think I still have them sitting around. PM me your shipping address and I'll send them to you if I can find them.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Why did you remove them?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Took out the switchbacks. Buzz through my thread if you're interested why.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Wow, now I understand.

PM sent.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

I tried to install the LED DRL`s this past summer with the hazzerd flasher pictured on the first page , it didn`t work so I asked the guy at the parts store & he had said that I may need to run the EQ`s to make it work propperly . Never ended up installing the LED`s maybe this summer`s project .
Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Yes I am digging up a seven year old post! Trying to put switchbacks in today. The white is not turning off when the amber comes on. Would this have to do with the flasher? I bought a new one at AutoZone that works for both incandescent and LED bulbs or a mix of the two. Still didn't help me. Maybe just cheap bulbs? Or should I try a different flasher

Originally Posted by skytower31
Finally got all my parts in and got everything installed. I'm really happy with everything and how it all came out. I also replaced my DRL housings because they were old and the lenses had fogged up.

For those that don't know, switchbacks are LED bulbs that are amber when the headlights are not on and flash on and off like normal when the turn signals are activited. When the headlights are on, the light turns white and flashes between amber and white when the turn signal is activited. These should look great once I get my projector HID Kit from BLSolutions.

Here is a video after it was all complete. Sorry for my horribly loud headlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s_dCabHmtE

Parts:
2 - 3157 60 LED SMT Towers Amber-White (AW) Switchbacks from autolumination: $29.99 ea
PLEASE NOTE I HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THESE BULBS. I'M WORKING WITH AUTOLUMINATION TO GET THE PROPER BULB WORKING PROPERLY FOR OUR CARS. WE THINK RUNNING THE 48 LED SMT TOWER SHOULD WORK PROPERLY. PLEASE STAY TUNED UNTIL WE GET THIS FIGURED OUT.

2 - EL12 Electromagnetic Flashers from Napa: $10.99 ea

Here is a shot of the LED tower vs the stock amber bulb:

It is as simple as replacing the bulbs with the LED switchbacks and the turn signal and hazard flasher modules with electromagnetic ones to work properly with the LEDs.

Here are the flashers I bought at Napa:

The flashers are located under the dashboard on the driver side below the steering wheel. Remove the 2 screws and 2 bolts that hold the panel on to gain access. Also note these flashers DO still click when the signal is on. I actually like the sound better than the thermo ones...sounds less like a school bus and more like a regular car.

Turn signal flasher is by where your right knee would be. There is a clip that holds it inside a small rail. The clip is marked by a white mark on my car.

Hazard flasher is by where you left knee would be. I had to pop the clip completely out and flip it around and clip it on the outside of the rail because the new flasher is larger than the stock one. The pic shows the new one in place so it would look like the previous one before you pop it out from behind the rail.

All of this should also work with Camaro's but I believe only the 20 LED towers fit in the Camaro housings.

Special thanks to Brian @ BLSolutions for helping get this all figured out for my car.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsnone1
Yes I am digging up a seven year old post! Trying to put switchbacks in today. The white is not turning off when the amber comes on. Would this have to do with the flasher? I bought a new one at AutoZone that works for both incandescent and LED bulbs or a mix of the two. Still didn't help me. Maybe just cheap bulbs? Or should I try a different flasher
Flasher only dictates the speed at which it blinks as far as I know, perhaps you bought a type B bulb? View the below video to see the two types of switchbacks.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Trans Am DRL Switchbacks