Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How quickly times change... Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i still like the GX,but not the wings. that first pic is pure sex!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Ha! Preach on brother !!!

Yeah, I remember the days when RKSport's ads were on the back of all the magazines and they had those 2 or 3 red LT1 Camaros parked on like some brick driveway in front of some nice house.

They sported big wings, GFX, chrome (and gold, lol) emblems and friggin Monte Carlo OZ rims, lol! Hell yes !

Back in the day, Chrome Monte Carlo OZs were what Fikse rims are today. If you had those on your car it MUST be nice

Hence my 1994 Z...

^ those are monte carlo oz wheels? I've always loved those wheels!!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've just never cared what people did to the lt1 bodystyles...they still look too dated and ugly to me.

Some of those kits do seem to help though, but the wings look aweful.

I think things have become cookie cutter partially because there are very few tasteful hood options so people are limited to SS and cowl types. Doesn't help everyone insists on shitty looking zr1 wheels or c5z wheels. Both look worse than stock and are just as common as stock. The ls1 body style can look like something that is still rolling off the line...but those 90s looking ugly wheels pull it back.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol I remember watching fbody havok and fbody hideout on youtube over and over again....thinking to myself wow such badass cars and I hope I'm not the only non-hick getting into one of these.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I've just never cared what people did to the lt1 bodystyles...they still look too dated and ugly to me.

Some of those kits do seem to help though, but the wings look aweful.

I think things have become cookie cutter partially because there are very few tasteful hood options so people are limited to SS and cowl types. Doesn't help everyone insists on shitty looking zr1 wheels or c5z wheels. Both look worse than stock and are just as common as stock. The ls1 body style can look like something that is still rolling off the line...but those 90s looking ugly wheels pull it back.
as far as the LS1 VS LT1 body style goes, the Camaro imo looks much better in LT1 form than LS1 form. the LS1 camaro just looks too much like a catfish to me

as for the T/A i think the LT1 WS6 is the best looking 4th gen of them all but the LS1 WS6 isn't far behind.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember back in the day when Matt aka Crackheadmatt was king **** lol .
He was doing mods to his Camaro that made people wanna follow him .
God I miss those days when the 4th gen was still badass and had a ****
ton of people who drove/modded them

Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

lol when i was 14 15 i always dreamed about getting a camaro and putting a body kit spoiler etc. on it. then i turned 16 bought a firebird formula and decided i like the look of a stock car and started hating body kits
Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
you speak the truth sir. unfortunately the camaro's aren't on the same boat. Camaro's NEED some extra work to get them looking decent.

a 100% stock base model camaro (non SS, no RS kit) = you have to atleast lower the car (because a drop completely changes the look of the car for the better) or throw on some bigger rims.
qft

camaros require drop, !molding, and the little stuff to get on the right path. Ive always preferred that route though, never into the ground scraping and huge wings.

(hypocrite = ta wing and 2" drop )
Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
Remember back in the day when Matt aka Crackheadmatt was king **** lol .
He was doing mods to his Camaro that made people wanna follow him .
God I miss those days when the 4th gen was still badass and had a ****
ton of people who drove/modded them

Now that you mention it I DO remember that, lol!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Im not feeling the wing but i love that hood. And of course i love the HRE's.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

i've always disliked and still dislike 93-02 camaros that dont have ground fx (rs or wings west) and wingless is ugly IMO. i dont like the ??-92 camaros that dont have ground fx either. just too plain and nakid looking. i love the RS ground fx on both styles.

dislike mustangs that are wingless also. and i dislike the 82(?)-93 fox mustangs that dont have the GT factory stock ground fx. my 87gt came with the ground fx and i love it.

the RS and wings west kit is acceptable imo. and rs and rs style wings.

when i first got into cars tho. i had bad tastes. i had a huge batman wing on my 94 mustang. then i bought a fiberglass black widow body kit but never put it on. sold it to a mexican for a few hundred and he told me how he was gonna double stack his wing by putting a 94-98 wing on top of a 99-04 wing. then he left.

i'm still a fan of huge cowl hoods. i dont think that'll ever change. my 04 cobra has a 5 1/2 cowl hood..or atleast thats how i measured it, its labeled as a 4". so i'm not sure. i used to think the 3" cowl hoods were huge then i got the 5 1/2 in the mail and the 3" looks like a pu$$y now.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

didnt this maroon camaro belong to a guy in tampa?

i think i remember going to his site and it said he lived in tampa and he also had a trans am. i think he used to work at either the Riverview (small city in tampa) winn dixie or the bank next to it. i used to see it parked in the parking lot away from all the other cars, one day it'd be the maroon camaro with the big wing then the next day it would be the trans am.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly.com
didnt this maroon camaro belong to a guy in tampa?

i think i remember going to his site and it said he lived in tampa and he also had a trans am. i think he used to work at either the Riverview (small city in tampa) winn dixie or the bank next to it. i used to see it parked in the parking lot away from all the other cars, one day it'd be the maroon camaro with the big wing then the next day it would be the trans am.
The guy that owns that is named Brent Franker . He is also a LONNNGGG
time Fbody enthusiast . He lives in Tampa and is a Nuclear Engineer . He
does Fbody decals and custom stuff on his side time Very cool guy
Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Humm call me old school.. but most of those cars still look good to me.. not down with the high wing spoilers. But the viper gts clone high rise camaro spoiler i love.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Oh yeah, I forgot I LOVED the GFX, rims and stripes on this car...

Haha i remember i used to want a camaro and have it look similar to this one. I still think that car looks good.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Man growing up in the 90's I loved all of that stuff! I remember everyone and their mom had those Enkei wheels and Borla catbacks haha. Times have changed but I still dig those Enkei's and some of those cars with body kits.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Id give anything for a set of those wheels.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, I remember all that. When I was in high school (92-96) the F40 style wings GFX were huge. Same with the vinyl on the rear window, cars either had a big emblem, or thier name...my buddies '88 Mustang was named "Megablast". He had the huge sound system, unpainted "Mach 1" hood, and unpainted Saleen wing. He also had quite a bit done under the hood, although he ended up getting rid of it when it started knocking (who'd of thought a 250hp hit of n20 would be bad for the stock bottom end, lol). He used to joke that his n20 shot was more than his car's stock hp.

I remember the F-Body scene ten years ago... I had my first LS1 back in '00, but had been into car mags and F-Bodies in general since I was in HS, so I was big into it back then too. I remember seeing cars like the ones above in Super Chevy and Hot Rod, and I even remember reading the Camaro "RS" package stripe and GFX install articles. Yeah, it seemed like every Camaro that made it into a magazine had the GFX. I also remember how everyone was all up in arms about the LS1 coming out, and reading Chris Frezza's (from CamaroZ28.com) review of the car after he got a sneak peak at it.

I can honestly say that even then I didn't much care for the wings and gfx, but I hate it much more now than I did then. Some of it I thought looked okay, if it wasn't too crazy. The stripes still look killer though.

There were some other wierd trends at that time too...I remember there was a kid with a CRX that looked like a roller skate, he had like 13x10" wheels on it or something like that, they were tiny in diameter, but stuch WAYYY out of the fender. There were quite a few cars running around like that.

I drove a beast in HS...a '73 Chevy K10 P/U with a 4" lift and 35's.

You know, I wonder if ten years from now, we'll be looking at pics of cars now and making fun of the berger panel, ceta mod, and corvette replica wheels.

Oh, and yeah, those Enkei's still look great. What was that other really popular wheel...it was called the G2 or something like that, right? Oooh, and I remember seeing my first set of Fiske wheels on a new SS at a club meet back in '00. Those were NICE. That car was gorgeous...pewter with the Fiskes and B&B catback.

Last edited by StuntmanMike; 03-25-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Man, the vinyl, lol!

My buddy had a Red 1995 Z28 right out of highschool (93-97) and he had a red chevy bowtie in vinyl on the back (like 24" x 18") and a "3" (for Earnhardt) in the middle and that was the coolest **** in town, lol!

I remember a Red LT1 Trans-Am as well at the street races. This is when 5.0s were finally getting their asses handed back to them by LT1s with CAI and Catbacks and this guy had a blower. Vinyl on the back said "Blown Away" and was SICK, lol!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess its because im part of the "new" crowd but i think those body kits and weird hoods are awful. im more of a, the simpler the better, when it comes to appearance kind of person.

Quick Reply: How quickly times change... Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?