Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How quickly times change... Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How quickly times change... Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?

I was searching Google images for Camaro GFX (don't ask why ) and stumbled across Brent's old F-Body Modification Guide page.

This was like **** for me 11 years ago (God I'm getting old) but some of the cars that still really do it for me on there would probably get REAMED on here today but they were THE **** back then...

Here's some examples of cars I still think look **** but I'm betting I'm in the minority...

This car (ZR28)was one of my absolute favorites, I remember PRINTING THIS PICTURE OUT !!!

I honestly remember thinking SS cars, with stripes and t-tops were as good as it got...

Even stock hoods just looked good with stripes...

This just seemed like the most bad *** factory car ever...

Of course, all of Brent's cars rocked and this was just the icing on the cake...

Man, how crazy it would have been to be at SEMA back then when this pic was taken (I was there this year and it was all 2010s)...

Some of the first LS1s I remember seeing and thinking they looked good...

This one was DEFINITELY not one of the ones I used to drool over 11 years ago (as there was no Harwood Cowl yet) but it was too hot to be left out...

The part that will make most of you cringe is the spoilers, oh the spoilers !

I came REALLY close to sporting one of these...

This is still acceptable but oddly enough while I LOVED it back in the day (I had it on my 1994 Z, a buddy had it, etc...) I kind of hate it now...

Even I didn't like this one though...

However I do remember when EVERYONE who was ANYONE had some vinyl on the back window, lol...

My final sin is I kind of dug this as I was introduced to it in a mag on a 1998 LS1 (in 1998) that had the firs NOS 5177 kit and I just figured the car had to be RIDICULOUSLY fast...

Oh yeah, I forgot I LOVED the GFX, rims and stripes on this car...

I don't know if times were simpler if I was just simpler (or both) but it seems like more was put into the appearance of the cars and they were less cookie cutter than the LS1s we see nowadays.

Probably has more to do with my own nostalgia but to me, if I didn't know what was under the hood, some of these cars just look so much more fun for some reason than most of the LS1 cars I see today.

Anyone else old enough to join me down this memory lane stroll and post your closet car fetishes ?!

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 03-20-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i was in highschool i soooo had the last pic of the spoiler on my camaro hahaha good times it was a V6 lol i even had the SS style hood scoop on there to haha and a body kit from Vizage haha **** i loved that car but almost 6 years later and i kidna laugh at it but now i got the 2000 trans am and not doing any body mods except the WS6 hood of course
Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chaos07
when i was in highschool i soooo had the last pic of the spoiler on my camaro hahaha good times it was a V6 lol i even had the SS style hood scoop on there to haha and a body kit from Vizage haha **** i loved that car but almost 6 years later and i kidna laugh at it but now i got the 2000 trans am and not doing any body mods except the WS6 hood of course
Lol! Yeah, I WON'T be posting a pic of my Black V6 1987 Bird from highschool...

Twin Turbo Hood, high spoiler, Ultra Rims, Knight Rider light... Need I say more ???
Old 03-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Banned

Oh yeah, I forgot I LOVED the GFX, rims and stripes on this car...

Old 03-20-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, i like a lot of the different GFX kits. not all, but quite a few. I wouldnt have a 98+ camaro without either GFX or a splitter, with the exception of one with the DH bumper, which is in my future. and i dont like the rear of the car without anything either, gotta have GFX or CME back there, or have dumps.

the freedom/RKsports style spoilers CAN look good, if on the right car. but on most cars they do nothing for me.

but i see where you're coming from with the cookie-cutter vibe you see a lot. But i think that just depends on where you look. you get that a LOT here on the forum, but if you go somewhere like cardomain.com a lot, which i do, you get to see it all. people who do any and everything with these cars, many different spoilers, GFX kits, rims, paint jobs, etc, etc. which is the main reason i go there to check out cars and see things people have done. i get inspired to do different things with my cars when im on there.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of europeans think those GFX and wings are still the pooh.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually liked the big wing on the 4th gens. Not the "add-on" one, but the one that replaced the stock wing. My dad bought his like this, ended up liking it, and kept it. He still needs to lower it and put a SS hood on it though:

Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

I thought all that stuff was cool too!...until I actually got a camaro I used to get the rksport catologs and plan how my camaro would look when I eventually got one..
Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
I wouldnt have a 98+ camaro without either GFX or a splitter, with the exception of one with the DH bumper, which is in my future. and i dont like the rear of the car without anything either, gotta have GFX or CME back there, or have dumps.
I agree with this statement... the cars just do not look complete IMO without the GFX.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

wow, those things sucked Big wings are terrible, anyway you look at it. You cant sugar coat that crap.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

oh the carnage.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

When i first joined this site, i remember seeing all kinds of people ripping others for having ground effects on their f-body. I'm just glad to see i'm not the only one that like the way they look. Wish i had a pic of my first car. I was dumb as hell with performance but it looked good. On second thought, i'm glad i don't have a pic. I'm embarassed that i ever thought a Z24 was fast. HAHA.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Ground effects can look decent with certain setups. Big spoilers, in my opinion, that just never looks good.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i absolutly love the white 97 ss anniversary cars. with the white rims and the orange stripes.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Teching In

I liked the GFX kits and SOME spoilers..but for some reason 90% of them were on V6s, and I just never got that.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol i wasn't thinking about camaros, but I was one of the people that saw The Fast and the Furious when I was in 6th grade or so, and thought an eclipse with a huge spoiler, GFX, flashy paint, and of course NAAAWWWZZZ was the absolute ****. Gave that a year or so before I saw the light for good and figured out THOSE people were mostly total douchebags, started following the custom truck scene, and bought a pretty well modded silverado for my first vehicle.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when I first got my SS, I found this guys car on some site. I still LOVE the ground effects on this car, and if I could buy them and make them work with my CME I would put them on immediately. They just flow soooo well with the car. I could live with or without the spoiler. I think it looks great from the side, but the rear needs help.

All around I give this guy's car a 10 though. Sadly, these are the only pictures I have.

All attachments, click to enlarge.

How quickly times change...  Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?-5_03.jpg How quickly times change...  Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?-5_04.jpg How quickly times change...  Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?-5_05.jpg How quickly times change...  Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?-5_08.jpg How quickly times change...  Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?-5_11.jpg
Old 03-20-2010, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

I'm a fan of the RS kit myself. I was actually trying to find a Z with the kit on it when i was looking for a car. Still might buy an aftermarket RS kit someday. I think it gives the car a more muscular look. some of them GFX kits are just ricey to me though...like something out of Fast and the Furious. and as far as spoilers...as long as its functional i don't car how big it is. what i can't stand is these FWD ricers with big spoilers on the back.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Launching!

I think the reason a lot of us dont like this anymore, is because now we see anything from Civics to Grand Ams to WRXs with big spoilers, crazy ground effects ect.. so we as a muscle car community want to stray away from it as much as possible.

But back then, making the car look as far from stock as possible, putting on things that stood out was the thing to do. But that was before or right at the begining of that huge "ricey" fad that we see today lol.

So I think our point of view is different, based on what type of cars we see with this stuff on it now vs then.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You dont need GFX and big spoilers on a WS-6 Trans Am, stock design is a killer.

Quick Reply: How quickly times change... Anyone else used to be into GFX and big spoilers?