Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

t-top question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they can be tinted. i've had 5% on mine for about 4 years now. they "claim" it can cause them to crack due to extra heat but somewhere on here i read the tops are meant to withstand 4000 degrees. there is NO way having tint on the tops will make them get that hot. if so we are all dead at that point so it won't matter
Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
(I have had to have my t/a tinted twice...due to a cop tearing off the tint, and my truck)
holy **** they can do that?

anyway

i thought they came pre tinted from the factory? mine are just slightly tinted.

i remember my dads 93 had the black dots on them, seemed like it let in the perfect amount of sunlight.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dckmn52

i remember my dads 93 had the black dots on them, seemed like it let in the perfect amount of sunlight.
They are slightly tinted, I'd say probably like 35% or so. Your dad's 93 had the dot matrix style t-tops that all 93 and 94 F-Bodies got.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dckmn52
holy **** they can do that?

anyway

Basically he followed about 1/4 mile behind me one morning with his radar gun on for ~10 miles while other cars sped by. He finally caught up with me and as soon as he got beside me, slammed his brakes and got behind me to pull me over bc my tint was too dark...He measured it at like 3.2% and started ripping the corner off and saw I was pissed. At that point he said he can stop and give me a ticket or let him continue tearing...since he already messed it up, I told him to go ahead and finish what he started.

Originally Posted by hlaalu
What curvature? There is barely any, the back window is way more curved? I've heard of a cracked t-top, but i can't convince myself it would generate enough heat to crack, unless you park next to the surface of the sun.
The curvature on the rear is in one direction (left to right), on the tops its more of a dome shape. I'm sure it can be done, but I didn't feel like arguing. The last shop I went to does alot of high end cars...so I figure I will go with the experts on that one.
And as far as temp, for some reason, my car gets ridiculously hot and has fried 3 alarm systems, the installer even put a thermometer in it one day and after a couple hrs, it got over 160 degrees, which he said he hadnt seen before (that was with 5% sides and back and t-top shades installed.)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
Basically he followed about 1/4 mile behind me one morning with his radar gun on for ~10 miles while other cars sped by. He finally caught up with me and as soon as he got beside me, slammed his brakes and got behind me to pull me over bc my tint was too dark...He measured it at like 3.2% and started ripping the corner off and saw I was pissed. At that point he said he can stop and give me a ticket or let him continue tearing...since he already messed it up, I told him to go ahead and finish what he started.

I would have immediately called the state police or 911 and starting video taping it. Around here that **** doesnt fly.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
I would have immediately called the state police or 911 and starting video taping it. Around here that **** doesnt fly.
Ive had several friends that have had cops scratch their tint right down the middle, but no one had had it torn off. Legal limit here is 35% and I was running 5% for 9 yrs without issues. Normally I roll down my window when a cop is near, but it was like 8 degrees out that morning and also didnt even think about the windows that morning. Its not the first time a cop has followed me for a distance either...just got used to it.
Also when I talked with the tint shop, they said they have seen tint tickets range from $70-500, depending on how much of a dick the cop wants to be. So in the end, I ended up spending the equivalent of a low end ticket to get them retinted and just garaged the car for a few weeks incase he was hanging around the neighborhood waiting to see me again.

Quick Reply: t-top question