Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing Side Vents

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Open your door one "notch" and stick you hand between the door and the fender. There is a clip on the top and bottom for each vent. Just undo one of them and push it out. You can use a screwdriver to push the tab down if your arm is too big.
Allright. Thanks, I didn't even try to open the door. I'm smart like that.

Originally Posted by ZexGX
If the previous owner didn't sand the vents before painting them you can soak them overnight in Super Clean Degreaser (purple jug) to strip the paint from the plastic, then use peanut butter or something to revive the plastic or just repaint it. I use 3D Products Instant Shine, but there are a variety of methods to restoring black plastic, like using a heat gun, or black dye. If you do use Super Clean Degreaser, put the pieces in a plastic container and let it soak at minimum 3 hours or overnight in the garage or outside. Use an old toothbrush if you have to to brush the old paint off. People who build/paint plastic models/figures have been using this stuff for years as a paint stripper for small plastic pieces.
And thank you for the process.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ethomp
And thank you for the process.
Just know that the degreaser is pretty toxic. The fumes are bad (hence leaving it outside or in the garage) and they tell you to wear rubber gloves while working with it. Stuff is pretty strong.

Quick Reply: Removing Side Vents