Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detail Guys In Here. Not Happy With A Professional Detail I Got

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
My paint looks like it did when I dropped off to you the first time. There are still a bunch of swirls and those little tiny 1" scratches all over, which I have no idea how they even got there but you cannot even feel them. I guess maybe one piece of advice, for the final walk through maybe check it outside under direct sunlight? Like you said my paint is unmolested, not weatherd hasn't seen snow and rain since 2005.. Garaged every year. You would think that it should be very easy to get rid of the swirls..(end quote)

I'm sure Gav or Presidential Detail would do quality work. Random isolated deep scratches won't be able to be fully removed but can be improved upon. Minor scratches may be able to be fully removed with M105 or UC.

Batmobile, nice work with the headlight cover but internet pics don't prove a thing. Menzerna is known for filling and I suspect that you would have some tracers. If you have absolutely no tracers fill me in on your secret because I've gotten tracers the couple times I tried wetsanding. BTW, most polishes are full of oils that can fill and some leave behind a waxy type coating. let me clarify, I removed 2000 grit sanding marks but I've never been fully able to remove the deeper tracers.

I am not familiar with Immaculate Reflections or what process they used but again internet pics don't prove a thing. Most polishes and compounds have oils and can fill, most waxes are full of oils. It might look perfect in a pic but might be swirl city after a wash and the oils are gone but then again it is possible that if it was done by someone good with a quality process that it really does look nearly perfect.

And another thing to remember is even if someone gets it perfect chances are after the first wash or QD with MF towels you'll put some swirls back into the finish.

BTW, many photos at Autopia are taken after the car has been QD'd with products with silicone oils that fill.

you have alot of posts over @ autopia and i couldn't find any " click and brag "
photos...i would like to see some of your work...

when i take pictures, its after wax or sealant....why would you QD a vehicle that just had its LSP applied ? i personally dont know.

everyone has different products, procedures, short cuts, tips and tricks.

and to the point of " perfect paint " i doubt this exists. between the transportation of the vehicle to the dealer, and anything the dealer does to it....its over. i worked at a dealer, we had a "prep" site...who knows what they did.
then the vehicle would be put through an automatic wash....yikes !!!
then dried with a "chamois" that has seen better days.

by the time it got turned over to the buyer, the paint had been through hat alot of enthusiasts would call HELL....so there's no such thing.

maybe a fresh paint job by a super hot rod pro shop like foose.
but put it in a bubble and never drive it !!!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gavspurplez
you have alot of posts over @ autopia and i couldn't find any " click and brag "
photos...i would like to see some of your work...
Exactly. Sounds like a troll that comes in to either bash or give his opinion on things. Post some of your work, oh wait, I forgot, . . internet pics don't mean a thing. If it's under a light source, . . it does mean a thing.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 838 Likes on 641 Posts

First off I'm not a troll and I'm not a professional detailer. Secondly, I've been at autopia long enough to know that it's a flavor of the month hype club with the majority of the members being newbs and only a very few having solid knowledge of polishing paint. Third, wetsanding was the hyped at autopia and the only sane voice of reasoning against it was Mike Phillips. Fourth, sanding tracers can only be seen under bright sunlight or mercury or sodium vapor lights and best viewed at an angle. If you can wetsand without leaving tracers you must have near Godlike talent-sorry, I'm not in that class as a mere mortal. 5th, many of the flavor of the month hyped up products fill (Accumulator found that out after extensive head scratching and testing). 6th, I've seen enough photos at autopia to know which cars are slathered with silicone oil which probably is hiding at least micromarring from MF towels (many of which micromar). 7th, the guy who did the detail on Torchd's car may have done a subpar job but it is hard to judge from non existent photo's(there doesn't seem to be any immediately after the detail). 8th, anyone can post a photo on the internet and make any claim but I'm not dumb enough to place blind faith in anyone's claims without seeing it for my self and examining the work. Too much can be hid with silicone oil. 9th, unless you are a professional detailer and charge enough to back up the claims(and I don't know any honorable detailers who use old school TW compound or TW products in general) don't ever call anyone out as a troll without a shred of evidence to back it up. 10th, I never claimed to be a detailing God, but I have worked on GM clear with a rotary with both 3m and Megs compounds and a wool pad and know that it takes a lot of rpm and work to remove or improve deep scratches and doing so involves removing a decent amount of clear. 11th, one pic in this thread of near perfect black paint has the owner claiming he used megs #7 which is an oily glaze yet some guys here think this is perfection. 12th, I use Zaino on my vehicles because Sal isn't selling overpriced fillers that wash away.

Last edited by wannafbody; 04-13-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM

Damn dude.. its like I'm reading the freakin 10 commandments!!! What a waste of time of trying to make a point...
Old 04-13-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

and 13th, . . . calm down before you get a nose-bleed.

You ramble on too damn much.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
and 13th, . . . calm down before you get a nose-bleed.

You ramble on too damn much.
You shut your mouth and quit calling me a troll. I don't post pictures at autopia because my car isn't perfect, it sits outside 24/7, has etching from sitting under a tree early in it's life, has acid rain pitting, gets assaulted from coal plant fallout and because since I'm not a professional I don't have anything personal or professional to gain by posting. I could post incredible reflection shots and have you guys slobbering like babies telling me how wet and reflective the paint is but who cares. I don't detail my car for internet accolades, I maintain my car for my own enjoyment and to post my experiences to help others.

I've used Megs #9 and had a perfect finish when done that washed away after the first rain. I've used some of the flavor of the month sealants and found them quite similar to crisco-not something I want on my car
Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

You'll never get a perfect finish without seriously removing clear.
I've used Megs #9 and had a perfect finish.
Anybody that details knows Meguiar's #9 is one of the lightest polishes that is used for very fine swirls, and miro-marring. It's similar to the TC-8. Thus, you hardly removed any clear at all.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off I'm not a troll and I'm not a professional detailer. Secondly, I've been at autopia long enough to know that it's a flavor of the month hype club with the majority of the members being newbs and only a very few having solid knowledge of polishing paint. Third, wetsanding was the hyped at autopia and the only sane voice of reasoning against it was Mike Phillips. Fourth, sanding tracers can only be seen under bright sunlight or mercury or sodium vapor lights and best viewed at an angle. If you can wetsand without leaving tracers you must have near Godlike talent-sorry, I'm not in that class as a mere mortal. 5th, many of the flavor of the month hyped up products fill (Accumulator found that out after extensive head scratching and testing). 6th, I've seen enough photos at autopia to know which cars are slathered with silicone oil which probably is hiding at least micromarring from MF towels (many of which micromar). 7th, the guy who did the detail on Torchd's car may have done a subpar job but it is hard to judge from non existent photo's(there doesn't seem to be any immediately after the detail). 8th, anyone can post a photo on the internet and make any claim but I'm not dumb enough to place blind faith in anyone's claims without seeing it for my self and examining the work. Too much can be hid with silicone oil. 9th, unless you are a professional detailer and charge enough to back up the claims(and I don't know any honorable detailers who use old school TW compound or TW products in general) don't ever call anyone out as a troll without a shred of evidence to back it up. 10th, I never claimed to be a detailing God, but I have worked on GM clear with a rotary with both 3m and Megs compounds and a wool pad and know that it takes a lot of rpm and work to remove or improve deep scratches and doing so involves removing a decent amount of clear. 11th, one pic in this thread of near perfect black paint has the owner claiming he used megs #7 which is an oily glaze yet some guys here think this is perfection. 12th, I use Zaino on my vehicles because Sal isn't selling overpriced fillers that wash away.
i understand that batmobile called you out more than i did, but I was only asking for some examples of your work.
i do not claim to be a pro detailer either.

i have had my own ( family and friends ) cars along with customer cars dealing with the elements on a 24/7 basis. and the results are just great.

zaino provides great durability and since your vehicle sits outside 24/7 is probably the correct choice. i'm sorry you deal with ever single type of air born polutant known to man.

i bought my black 09 frontier last july. it has only been hand washed by me.
ONR during the winter. i will be sure to take before and afters and list my process / products and you can see that a vehicle that deals with the elements 24/7 can still be kept as close to "new" as possible.

( FYI, i bought my camaro used and it sat outside, parked on a city of chicago st for the first 3.5 years that i had it.....so, i think i have worked the paint into damn good shape )
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

torchd

sorry if the thread got hi jacked, it was not my intention.....
mods...... i dont think there should be any more " fisticuffs"
Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Batmobile- LMAO! nice point!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Anybody that details knows Meguiar's #9 is one of the lightest polishes that is used for very fine swirls, and miro-marring. It's similar to the TC-8. Thus, you hardly removed any clear at all.
Yep, #9 was the second polish I ever tried. I really thought it was great and then after a rain the disappointment hit. Same thing with NXT. I've found much better products since then.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

But you'd be surprised, there are portions of my car that have never been compounded yet the orange peel has been reduced by nothing more than mild polishing with both a PC and foam pad on a rotary.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

torchd

sorry if the thread got hi jacked, it was not my intention.....
mods...... i dont think there should be any more " fisticuffs"
hahahah it's all good.. I enjoy the bickering going on.

I dunno what I should do now?? Get back in contact with the original detailer, or have a board member do my car???
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

I dunno what I should do now?? Get back in contact with the original detailer, or have a board member do my car???
If you have the time you can do as well as most pros if you use the right products.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

It's up to you. I'm not sure if you read my post or not (maybe you skimmed through the posts) but I can come over Thursday and put an end to your misery.

Could you post up some pics of your paint the way it sits now? It seems by the way you describe it that it has some light swirling so Mezerna IP should suffice. The M105 might be overkill if your paint is in good condition.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Dude i need to post pics of MY CAR! once i take some in the sunlight.. will do tom.!! It's got Swirls all over the DAMN THING!! I haven't been such a good owner but now that's all going to change! Yall have got me to want that wet, clean wax look! and take pride in my ride! I'll post some pics tom. if yall don't mind tellin me what i need.. Wax wise.. or w.e? I heard the process is Wash/clay bar/wax/seal?? am i correct? My only ? is where do you buy seal, what is it? and wtf does it do? Never heard of seal?

Oh and what are the good newbie buffers again that won't Fvck up the paint??
HUGE CAR SHOW THIS WEEKEND! 200K+ CARS! If you live Near TN you should def. come!!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Get a PC and a couple orange pads and a couple white pads. Clay first. Megs Ultimate compound should remove moderate defects and then follow with a finishing polish. I like ZPC for it's superb cleaning ability and the fact that it leaves a perfectly clean surface. Menzerna Final Polish 2 is also good. Mothers makes good waxes or if you want a sealant Zaino or Showroom FX are good choices. Take your time, I prefer to work one or two sections at a time instead of tackling the car all at one time.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

I will admit I am pretty picky about detailing and stuff and I recently have been poking around with a PC I bought and polishes etc.......I cant get a perfect finish and I dont even get good results yet. One thing I have realized though over the years........just drive the damn car and enjoy it. Make it look good and just try your best. Whats more important having a flawless finish or driving it and enjoying it? Just my .02 cents!! lmao
Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a PC and a couple orange pads and a couple white pads. Clay first. Megs Ultimate compound should remove moderate defects and then follow with a finishing polish. I like ZPC for it's superb cleaning ability and the fact that it leaves a perfectly clean surface. Menzerna Final Polish 2 is also good. Mothers makes good waxes or if you want a sealant Zaino or Showroom FX are good choices. Take your time, I prefer to work one or two sections at a time instead of tackling the car all at one time.
if he goes with "online" polishes he might as well invest in some higher end "online" wax or sealants....

...and zpc ? we my need to spell out the entire name for some of our detailing newbies....
Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 PM

if he goes with "online" polishes he might as well invest in some higher end "online" wax or sealants....

...and zpc ? we my need to spell out the entire name for some of our detailing newbies....
Yes, thank you Bat
& Gav- I have no idea what PC stands for, or any other detailing abbreviations.. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Detail Guys In Here. Not Happy With A Professional Detail I Got