Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ram Air Hood Won't Line Up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air Hood Won't Line Up!!!

I have an aftermarket Ram Air hood on my 1998 Formula by Glassteck, that was not functional. So, of course, I made it functional by removing the hood and drilling holes in the grille of the "nostrils."

Anyway, ever since I put it back on it hasn't fit right. At first the headlights would catch and not pop up all the way, so I undid the bolts and slid the hood more towards the windshield and now there is a big gap in between the headlights and front of the hood.

Before I took the hood off (at least as much as I remember) it lined up fine. Any tips/ideas on how I can get it back on there perfectly? If necessary I can post up pics...
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Add washers to the hood. That's what my brothers Haywood ws6 hood did, headlights getting caught on the hood.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

If it didn't have them before it don't need them know, just mess around with it moving one side at a time until your happy with it. Or you could take it to a shop, I wouldn't charge much to do it at mine so they shouldn't either. If you post pics I could probably tell you what it needs if you can't get it. Next time scribe a line up line to you can put it on in the exact same spot
Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont forget that you can adjust the headlight lids also.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Dont forget that you can adjust the headlight lids also.
How do I do this?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
If it didn't have them before it don't need them know, just mess around with it moving one side at a time until your happy with it. Or you could take it to a shop, I wouldn't charge much to do it at mine so they shouldn't either. If you post pics I could probably tell you what it needs if you can't get it. Next time scribe a line up line to you can put it on in the exact same spot
I tried to put marks where the hood was originally lined before removing it for the first time, but I guess amongst all the grease/sweat during the "transportation" they came off...

What kind of shop should I take it to? Just any paint & body shop?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same with my 98 Formula with a ram air hood I got a gap on the driverside headlight
My stock hood fit great!
That's why I always take pictures on my passanger side

Last edited by ls1jorge; 04-05-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Sides
Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Ya any reputable body shop should be able to do it no problem
Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
Ya any reputable body shop should be able to do it no problem
Estimate on cost? - When I say i'm broke (lol), I literally mean I have ~$46.xx in the bank right now.

Also, when I drilled holes into the grilles of the nostrils on my hood, I did so because I was afriad cutting one big hole behind each grille would allow water to get easily get in, thus hydrolocking my car. However, I have realized (or at least I think i've realized) that hydrolocking still wouldn't really be an issue with having the nostrils fully open. It seems as though most Ram Air hoods I see on this forum, cardomain, etc., whether factory-functional or home-made, all have the nostrils cut wide open. Should I ask the paint/body shop to just cut them out while my car is there? How afriad should I be of them getting fiberglass into my engine(bay)/intake, etc.? That is the reason I took the hood off in the first place to drill the holes...

Quick Reply: Ram Air Hood Won't Line Up!!!