Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

has anyone used this hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^its not fun to do, but if you actually sit down and read their feedback, you can tell if its a hood a lot of times based on what the buyer says. just skim through and look at the private ones, and and then read the comments. a lot of them will mention "hood" somewhere in the comment, or will mention how cheap the shipping was. that can only be foor hoods since the shipping for hoods is C.O.D.- and both times for me it was cheaper than they said, so this is a nice surprise when you get the hood in the mail. i paid $117 the first time and $124 the second time, and i'm on the west coast (they say it wil cost around $150 on the listing). their coins are not c.o.d.

and if you really take the time to find the negatives/neautral feedbacks left, most are from buyers with less than 5-10 transactions, a lot of times, they are some of the worst people you can work with. i dont even entertain buyers with less than 20 feedback anymore. the only way they can buy from me is to pay at the time they try to buy, if they dont pay, they cant buy.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
its not fun to do, but if you actually sit down and read their feedback, you can tell if its a hood a lot of times based on what the buyer says. just skim through and look at the private ones, and and then read the comments. a lot of them will mention "hood" somewhere in the comment, or will mention how cheap the shipping was. that can only be foor hoods since the shipping for hoods is C.O.D.- and both times for me it was cheaper than they said, so this is a nice surprise when you get the hood in the mail. i paid $117 the first time and $124 the second time, and i'm on the west coast (they say it wil cost around $150 on the listing). their coins are not c.o.d.

and if you really take the time to find the negatives/neautral feedbacks left, most are from buyers with less than 5-10 transactions, a lot of times, they are some of the worst people you can work with. i dont even entertain buyers with less than 20 feedback anymore. the only way they can buy from me is to pay at the time they try to buy, if they dont pay, they cant buy.
I did take the time to look through a few pages of the feedback, I was just playing devil's advocate. There is a lot more to any good (or decent) company than their feedback percentage. I can honestly say I would trust one or two active member's opinions here more than I would hundreds of random ebay feedbacks.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

i 100% understand wanting to get other opinions on their hoods. but, i doubt you'll get that, since not very many people (here on 'tech) seem to have bought from them.

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Is it impossible to make hoods that fit well for that price? I am not familiar with the fiberglass production industry, but you have to wonder where they are making ANY money selling these things at those prices. If there is any significant profit margin, the time/money spent on making the hoods has to be minimal.
for the price thing... thats why in my original post i mentioned the SS spoilers. every one of the large sellers of SS spoliers (i wont name names since that got me in hot water before) sell them for atleast $300-400 dollars, usually before shipping. where as the ebay ones are $170 shipped to your door, and only $75 to be painted a factory color, to match your car. Why are these hoods so much cheaper, yet seem to be perfectly fine amongst the general community.

check that thread, people love them, and i'll be one of the customers fairly soon.

Price will also be affected by your volume of sells. the more you sell, the cheaper you can sell stuff for. "thespoilercompany", is one of the biggest on ebay, and ebay is one of the biggest marketplaces in the world. so they probably hold down a large share of SS spoilers sold, along with all of the other cars they sell products for. same goes for hood4sale. they are one of the major ebay sellers of hoods for the brands they cater to, and they sell so low, that they sell a lot of hoods. Look at Walmart, one of the biggest companies in the world, selling stuff for cheaper than everyone else

As far as fit, i look at it like this:

-Person A with the high priced aftermarket ($700) hood looks down upon Person B, who has the half priced aftermarket hood ($300).

-Person A feels he has the top of the line stuff

-Person C with the true GM hood ($1400), looks down upon person A as someone with a cheap aftermarket hood.

you line all 3 people's cars up, and you can't tell who has what hood. they all line up evenly and look great. in this case, who's the winner?

in my opinion, person b is. but thats just my biased opinion. so take it as you wish

Last edited by crimson_bird; 04-19-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i 100% understand wanting to get other opinions on their hoods. but, i doubt you'll get that, since not very many people (here on 'tech) seem to have bought from them.

for the price thing... thats why in my original post i mentioned the SS spoilers. every one of the large sellers of SS spoliers (i wont name names since that got me in hot water before) sell them for atleast $300-400 dollars, usually before shipping. where as the ebay ones are $170 shipped to your door, and only $75 to be painted a factory color, to match your car. Why are these hoods so much cheaper, yet seem to be perfectly fine amongst the general community.

check that thread, people love them, and i'll be one of the customers fairly soon.

Price will also be affected by your volume of sells. the more you sell, the cheaper you can sell stuff for. "thespoilercompany", is one of the biggest on ebay, and ebay is one of the biggest marketplaces in the world. so they probably hold down a large share of SS spoilers sold, along with all of the other cars they sell products for. same goes for hood4sale. they are one of the major ebay sellers of hoods for the brands they cater to, and they sell so low, that they sell a lot of hoods. Look at Walmart, one of the biggest companies in the world, selling stuff for cheaper than everyone else

-Person A with the high priced aftermarket ($700) hood looks down upon Person B, who has the half priced aftermarket hood ($300).

-Person C with the true GM hood ($1400), looks down upon person A as someone with a cheap aftermarket hood.

you line all 3 people's cars up, and you can't tell who has what hood. they all line up evenly and look great. in this case, who's the winner?

in my opinion, person b is. but thats just my biased opinion. so take it as you wish
I'm well aware of economies of scale, I'm just saying that even with $0 R&D there would still have to be investment in the machinery needed to put these hoods out, also in materials, and the labor needed to keep things moving along EBay fees and overhead costs. I'm just thinking about the economics involved, when factoring in what this person's opportunity cost would be, you have to figure he is making decent money on each piece. To me this means the amount of money put into the production of that hood has to be very low, and my question is trying to figure out if quality is even POSSIBLE at that price level, let alone good sometimes and not others. I don't really expect to have that question answered, however.

I like your comparison among individuals who have different hoods from different sources. I, being in college and on a budget am looking for the best "bang for my buck" as it were, that is the reason anyone is ever willing to look at other lowered priced options.

All of this said, seeing the hood you have in person may sway my mind completely and cure the skepticism. There is always the "taking the plunge" factor when going to a relatively unknown vendor for a product not supporting by the community in which you align yourself with. I'm tempted to get one just to see how it is, I have a friend who been doing bodywork for a living for decades, so I might be a reasonable guinea pig for such an experiment.

I entered into this thread trying to just provide an objective opinion with some legit questions and concerns. I in no way favor any vendor over another, or have any personal experience with the companies mentioned herein.

I hope this thread stays on track as an honest and open look at what is out there and in no way becomes a comparison thread which will quickly be shut down. After all, we are on this forum to share knowledge and learn from others' experiences (at least I am), and hope that continues.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I like your comparison among individuals who have different hoods from different sources. I, being in college and on a budget am looking for the best "bang for my buck" as it were, that is the reason anyone is ever willing to look at other lowered priced options.
ding ding ding. thats why i have what i have . I'm in the same situation as you. I mean, if money weren't really an option, i'd stick with genuine GM parts. i just dont have that option. hell, if i had more money, i probably wouldn't be in an f-body...

I entered into this thread trying to just provide an objective opinion with some legit questions and concerns. I in no way favor any vendor over another, or have any personal experience with the companies mentioned herein.
thats how i feel too. which is why i dont just recommend this company to everyone. when people ask about hoods, i suggest brands that i've heard mostly positives about (RKsport, vfn, trufiber, suncoast). Like you said about the ebay seller, this may be a case where some come out good, some decent, others bad. i cant say. so unfortunately, for that you can pretty much only base it on feedback. and i've never seen any other after market hood in person, so i really have nothing to compare it to. i just know what i've bought.

just to let you know, i'll be a 3rd time customer of their hoods within the next month or two, and i'll take a LOT of good pics of the hood from the moment i get it and all the process to get it on and all. to try and give a good idea of what you get. just in case you dont plan on buying anything for a while.

both cars are for sale now, so as soon as they sale i'll be picking up a Z28 to start working on. and i'm pretty much immidiately going to start bying all of the parts for it (hood, spoiler, rims, cme, lots of other $hit, etc)

Last edited by crimson_bird; 04-19-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that looks good I think
Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

that's exactly how I look at it. Reason being is I have an eBay SS spoiler and it looks and fits great. I love it. Course it can be different with hoods that why you get buyer protection and make sure there is a good return policy. Always fit and install the hood first before painting
Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
that's exactly how I look at it. Reason being is I have an eBay SS spoiler and it looks and fits great. I love it. Course it can be different with hoods that why you get buyer protection and make sure there is a good return policy. Always fit and install the hood first before painting
This from the same guy who posted:
Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
Don't waist your money
Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Teching In

my ride is an ss "ebay special"... hood, spoiler, seat covers, emblems, go ahead & pay 3 or 4 times more for OEM, do you really think anyone's going to know the difference?? doubt it.. all I get it complements on my ride
Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

This from the same guy who posted:

Your right. I came back and thought about it. I was definitely being too quick to judge so for that I apalogize.

After I read crimson's post I had to sit back and think about it. Like crimson said if you watch the feedback and have good feedback to actually support the product I guess you can try it out.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just can't believe this thread,Ebay backs up their products--Refund? I am looking for a Hood I can't believe that I actually read all of this Trash exchange. Hood looks Good at about half the price, I think I'll get one. Waist is somthing around your belly. To throw money away is Waste.

Quick Reply: has anyone used this hood