Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Washing and waxing not working for me

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Washing and waxing not working for me

I don't really have time to claybar my car on a regular basis, and sure have no clue in extensive detailing or even have the tools for it. So when I clean my car, I do a very extensive wash using sponge and deep crystal car wash, and wash panel by panel, keeping the entire car wet so I don't get water spots. Well, even doing this causes sections of the car to dry while I'm still washing, and once the wash is over, and I have dried it, then gone over with microfiber towels, I still have the deep bug splatters and water spots.

This time around I bought a new spray and wax from Lucas (which I like very much) and sprayed panel by panel while wiping with a specified polishing cloth. After the car was all done, if I look at the hood at certain angles I can STILL see the water spots.

My questions is, for a regular wash that isn't crazy extensive like clay bar and waxing and polishing and all that, what is the BEST way to get a car as clean and mirror like as possible?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I see you live in Texas too so watch out for the heat. If your washing your car and the spots are drying on the car then its too hot. I know this is a problem for alot of us in Texas if it is not a garage queen. It looks like you spend a good time washing your car so why not clay bar it? You usually only have to clay bar the horizontal sections because they are the worse ( hood, top, rear ) if you have too. Maybe try a different "car wash soap" Meguiars gold class, and try a nice towl instead of the sponge. Just suggestions
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DO NOT USE A SPONGE!!!!!

and when i usually wash i do the same as you, panel by panel BUT i use the shade as my friend, i do not wash in the middle of the day because of water spots and such, and if i do i use my garage for shade... use a microfiber towel or terry cloth cloth to wash the car and i use an "absorber" to dry, that thing is amazing, keep it clean and it does wonders!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Launching!

It was a very cool day today, but yes I did wash it in the sun. I have no spots at the time I have to wash in the drive way that are covered by shade. Last time I clay barred it took my more than an hour lol, I don't usually have time for that unless I have a Saturday off and spend half the day on it lol.

EDIT: So use the water and the deep crystal wash with a cloth? Ive never heard of that. And can you explain more on the "absorber"? Sounds like a very good idea. I dry with regular towels, but then go over with microfiber.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go to the part store and it's like a rubber-y shammy... the name of it is absorber... they usually have it behind the counter to where you can see it, cause people like to steal them, well atleast here in pearland thats how it is... but that thing will help you dry your car prob 5x faster than using reg terry cloth towls.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Wow, sounds like I'll have to pick one up, I have always had problems drying it quick enough. When you are washing do you soak the whole car, then clean panel by panel, but keeping the car soaked? Thats what I do. I can't really tell if it helps or not though.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

I'm with you on the water spots, this black is killing me. I've even washed mine inside the garage once using very little water, because it was so hot out. What about using dawn? If my car gets pretty dirty from driving at night or whatever, then I wash it with dawn. Seems to remove everything, hard water spots and bugs... but also wax. lol. Just find you some shade, rinse the car off for alittle to cool the panels and go after it. I've also got an absorber, love it!

Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use an Absorber:

Stopped using towels because all seemed to cause scratches in the clear; gotta black car

I also say that if you're putting so much time in actual washing, I'd definitely recommend using a claybar. You don't have to do it EVERY time, and they'll really help with the bug crap.

If you use a sponge, just make sure it's safe for car washing; it's gotta be really soft!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked up an absorber last week. Works great on getting everything dry quick
Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Depending on the acidity of the rain where you live determines how hard the water spots are in the car. In Houston, the acidity is pretty bad and the rain is random so you can drive to work, have it pour ***** and then when you get to work it's sunny, hot and humid the rest of the day. That will cover your car entirely with water spots.

In order to get them out, no wash or even clay bar is going to work. You need to polish them out, either with a buffer or by hand. I'm telling you by hand it is a VERY time consuming. And you have to do it in shade. It helps if you buy one of those halogen light stands from Sears for like $20-$30.

If you are in direct sunlight then normally I would wash the car and wet it panel by panel and as I get close to finishing try to keep everything wet. Try to get some kind of shade when you are drying. Do not use those cheap chamois plastic feeling absorbers. The only chamois I would use would be the lambskin one. I use Waffle weave microfiber towels. When you washing and drying do NOT apply too much pressure!

Dawn will get rid of some water spots if you rub.. but then you get swirls. And swirls do not come out with any type of soap or wax.

My advice to you would be, get your car detailed once a year by a detailer. If you are not willing to spend ~$400 for a machine and products and take an entire weekend off to detail your car, pay someone to do it for you. As long as they do a good job and with the right upkeep (wax every 3 months, seal every 6) and proper washing techniques and materials.. it will look flawless and definitely worth the money. Here are a few pics of my personal car, 4 months after I detailed it, right after a quick wash. The camaro is a friend of mine's I did as well.

clickable thumbs:

Camaro's Trunk:
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Dawn will get rid of some water spots if you rub.. but then you get swirls. And swirls do not come out with any type of soap or wax.

My advice to you would be, get your car detailed once a year by a detailer.
No, you NEVER want to rub hard, no matter what soap you're using. That's a sure way to get swirls or fine scratches. I've never had any trouble out of dawn, it has removed alot of spots for me, that other "softer" soap wouldn't. That's good advice though, definatly need to get the car detailed once or twice a year to help. If you're like me, just don't have the time or energy to do a good full detail, you have to hire it done. I try to have mine done once before car show season, and once after, before she's put up. But mine are always garage queens.

Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

use a microfiber wash mit, or a microfiber sponge they sell at wally world for $2.99

also use something besides towels to dry you car. i use the california water blade. it works very well just be sure you do not get it dirty first
Old 04-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CHRIZ28
No, you NEVER want to rub hard, no matter what soap you're using. That's a sure way to get swirls or fine scratches. I've never had any trouble out of dawn, it has removed alot of spots for me, that other "softer" soap wouldn't. That's good advice though, definatly need to get the car detailed once or twice a year to help. If you're like me, just don't have the time or energy to do a good full detail, you have to hire it done. I try to have mine done once before car show season, and once after, before she's put up. But mine are always garage queens.

Chris
Definitely. Remember, ONLY use Dawn if you plan on re-waxing the car. It will strip anything and everything that's on the car, except your clearcoat of course.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ ::cough cough:: just remember to use Dawn only if you are going to do a full on detail. It exposes so many swirl marks and unless you machine buff the car afterwards, wax will only cover up so much.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use a 215MPH leaf blower and have never had problems with water spots. Hit it with a leaf blower then wipe it down with Zaino and its spotless. Never wash it in the sun though. I don't like the water blade because if there is a little thing of dirt on there it will scratch the paint. Didnt like the absorber much either. Just try some things out and see what works best for you.

Last edited by SS LeadFoot; 04-28-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I herd those California water blades scratch the crap out of paint..

Quick Reply: Washing and waxing not working for me