Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Incredibly difficult to see polish breaking down on silver

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incredibly difficult to see polish breaking down on silver

So...I said difficult, but I meant impossible.

When polishing my C6 (SIP, M105, M83, etc...) I CANNOT see the polish. As soon as I get it onto the paint it seems translucent and I can't tell when the polish is done.

It doesn't matter how much I apply to the pad, it's always the same result, and I'm not working a large area (12x12-16x16)

This results in either dry-buffing or not breaking down the polish enough.

Any tips for a silver vehicle to SEE the product working?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
So...I said difficult, but I meant impossible.

When polishing my C6 (SIP, M105, M83, etc...) I CANNOT see the polish. As soon as I get it onto the paint it seems translucent and I can't tell when the polish is done.

It doesn't matter how much I apply to the pad, it's always the same result, and I'm not working a large area (12x12-16x16)

This results in either dry-buffing or not breaking down the polish enough.

Any tips for a silver vehicle to SEE the product working?
How are you applying the product to the pad and exactly how much? What speeds are you using to start the spreading process of the product?

I would try to go to a smaller section and see what that nets you.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

I apply one "X" across the 6.5" pad and I generally start to spread by just "massaging" it into the car with the pad without it being on over the section I will be working. I also tried doing a quick spread at speed 3 on the PC and work at 5.

I dont need to do any correction, I was just trying to level the surface before applying a LSP.

Let me ask this. SHOULD I be able to SEE the polish working on silver? If so I will figure out what is going wrong.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I apply one "X" across the 6.5" pad and I generally start to spread by just "massaging" it into the car with the pad without it being on over the section I will be working. I also tried doing a quick spread at speed 3 on the PC and work at 5.

I dont need to do any correction, I was just trying to level the surface before applying a LSP.

Let me ask this. SHOULD I be able to SEE the polish working on silver? If so I will figure out what is going wrong.
You should be able to see it to an extent until you work the product in.

I start the same way, but i don't ''massage'' it. I start it on 3 and spread it over my section, up to 5 and spread it even more (at a moderate to quick passes) and then go to desired speed per step.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, what I tend to do is rub it onto the paint area I'll be working, then spread quickly at 5 and begin work at that point.

I love detailing my black WS6....it's so easy to see what I'm doing....stupid silver car

I bought a dual 500w halogen spotlight that I'm going to place to hopefully be able to see the polish a bit better while it's being worked. I hate just trying to guess at when to stop polishing on this C6.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rub your finger on the compound. If it feels gritty, (like sand) then the product has not been properly broken down.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Heh...well, that's a problem too. I work with my hands a lot and work out a lot so my fingers all have calouses all over making it tough to feel it, but I do attempt the swipe test quite regularly...sometimes It's just tough, ha ha.

I really wish I could see a video or see someone in person polishing a silver vehicle to know exactly what it should look like for me.

Any of you guys know of videos or pictures of polish on a bright silver finish?

Thanks for all your help/comments.

I'm also thinking that maybe I didn't prime the pad well enough and maybe it was absorbing product too quickly. Yesterday I was using Megs #82 (swirl free polish) which has VERY light cut on a white pad just to level, and it seemed to flash very quickly where I have heard that it takes longer to work in. This was my first time using 82.

Quick Reply: Incredibly difficult to see polish breaking down on silver