Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scratches In Glass

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches In Glass

I've noticed some light to moderate scratches here and there on my windshield. They're not severe to the point of where I'm looking at replacing the entire windshield. But what I would like is to see if I can get some of them out OR if you guys have had any experience with shops cutting and polishing glass?

I've heard its risky business as the glass can warp. Any inputs?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 AM
The House is Rockin'

you can try this, but imo just replace it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...0/?image=large
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
you can try this, but imo just replace it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...0/?image=large
I know that would be the best bet but I'd rather not spend that kind of cash.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

It's not that it will warp. It takes a lot of heat to do that. It distorts the glass because the machine is grinding away at it. I'vr tried it a few time at work (Novus Autoglass) and decided that it distorts things so bad it almost made me sick, I refuse to do it. Most times those scratches are from the wipers. Both of my birds have them.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frozen WS6
It's not that it will warp. It takes a lot of heat to do that. It distorts the glass because the machine is grinding away at it. I'vr tried it a few time at work (Novus Autoglass) and decided that it distorts things so bad it almost made me sick, I refuse to do it. Most times those scratches are from the wipers. Both of my birds have them.
Ok so you're saying just to leave it alone?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

I would leave it until it gets bad...
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM
The House is Rockin'

your insurance should take care of it, i know mine did. i didnt have to pay a penny, just watch the installer, and make sure he isnt some rookie and can find his *** with two hands.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
your insurance should take care of it, i know mine did. i didnt have to pay a penny, just watch the installer, and make sure he isnt some rookie and can find his *** with two hands.
Even if it isn't cracked by any means? I've never heard of this? Again, it's far from being scratched to the point of where I can't see out of it.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by Striker
Even if it isn't cracked by any means? I've never heard of this? Again, it's far from being scratched to the point of where I can't see out of it.
mine was not cracked either, just tell them that it is causing a prism effect at night. thats what i did
Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

I'd leave it unless it really bothers you. Then if you have glass coverage under your comprehensive part of your insurance they will cover all but the deductable amount. So if your deductable is high it might be cheaper out of pocket. Def use a reputable company. Some places don't even use the primers or proper cure times. It's your life on the line if it's not done properly and that windshield comes out because someone took a short cut.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure the deductible is higher than the value of the glass so i'd be SOL there. I was talking to some guys at my work and they mentioned that it can be taken care of with paint polishes. I always thought that you needed a special glass polish.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:41 PM
9 Second Club

I'm sure the deductible is higher than the value of the glass so i'd be SOL there. I was talking to some guys at my work and they mentioned that it can be taken care of with paint polishes. I always thought that you needed a special glass polish.
The auto polishes might do a little bit, but glass is a lot harder to get scratches out of then paint. Paint is really soft on compairison.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:49 PM
The House is Rockin'

i would be carefull, sometimes you can do more damage than good. i would ask your buddys to show you exactly what they have used, and then look at the finished product. afterall its not there "pride and joy" there working on
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 PM
9 Second Club

I've tried meguires and a wool pad on my buffer and didn't do anything. But Like Blues said. You may put scratches in the glass by trying auto polishes. It didn't add or remove any on mine. I always try a small area where I won't have to look out of first.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was talking to some guys at my work and they mentioned that it can be taken care of with paint polishes. I always thought that you needed a special glass polish.
Paint polishes are a great idea for waterspots that have been baked onto your glass for a few days or weeks. They will not remove scratches from glass.

The cerium oxide solution is your best bet for the cheapest, only worthwhile attempt at salvaging your glass IMO. I don't have experience with it firsthand but I have seen the results.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Paint polishes are a great idea for waterspots that have been baked onto your glass for a few days or weeks. They will not remove scratches from glass.

The cerium oxide solution is your best bet for the cheapest, only worthwhile attempt at salvaging your glass IMO. I don't have experience with it firsthand but I have seen the results.
And how where the results? Was there any sort of distortion on the glass? The thing is, it's only a few small spots that have these annoying little scratches that are pissing me off. I *dont* have to do the entire windshield by any means.

Quick Reply: Scratches In Glass