Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

TORCHD 02 TA's Detail

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

joblo,

after all that polishing, why would you want to put an "ok" sealant on just to cover it up with a carnauba ?
i have been applying carnauba's right after polishing for years, and it doesn't affect the durability.
not to mention if you are using the right ones, then the depth is there.
no problems
Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
Hey Jonas after James is done with your car can I keep it? I need to do some testing with the tires.
All I have are brand new Nitto Extremes street tires... I got rid of my M/T ET Street DRs
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Any picture updates??

There is nothing risky about a purple pad and m105, especially when being applied by DA.

I don't know about all of that...
I will contact James to see if he will post up the after shots... I took the pics with his camera
Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
All I have are brand new Nitto Extremes street tires... I got rid of my M/T ET Street DRs
Sounds like a damn race car. I am just kidding with you Jonas. Are you going to get a rearend for your car over the winter? If you can get a good launch I can see mid to low 11s in your future. A two step wouldn't hurt also.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry I haven't posted up pics. I was hoping to start a portfolio of my work but Jonas' car was real finicky with the camera and even under the Halogen lights, it was hard to capture the swirling on camera.

Again, I was kinda bummed it wasn't in worse condition so the before-and-after pictures would be more dramatic. Jonas took some shots of the car from a distance so it wouldn't be a good reference as far as the "transformation" of the vehicle's paint.

Jonas' car did have some more deeper isolated scratches that were concentrated on the hood. It is an aftermarket hood and was repainted poorly. His sail panels, CETA, and side mirrors were painted very well and it was a shock when he told me the hood was painted by the same people. The hood lacked depth, (I'm guessing from a thin coat of clear) and while it didn't have the infamous "orange peel" it was somewhat "wavy" - the best way to describe it. So for some reason, the rest of the car, even the sails, and side mirrors cleaned up nicely 'cept for the hood.

I'm glad to hear you say it turned out "pretty damn good". I was sorta bummed because you didn't seem so happy with the work? I'm not sure if it was due to the lug nuts being loose but I assure you I didn't loosen them. Aside from the passenger wheel that was "siezed" and we put back on, in which I apologize for not over-tightening them, it was very odd to me that the rest of the wheel's lug nuts weren't tight.

I got confirmation from Steve Pasztor that the M105 and purple pad is a safe combo to use on more deeper and stubborn scratches. This same combo worked out those two deeper scratches out of the spoiler pretty well. If you want to try this out, that's cool with me.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Whos next? Still Very interested! PM me details.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by STREET99
Whos next? Still Very interested! PM me details.
Phantomzer0 was next before you, but he has not answered his PM. Got any pics of the swirling by chance?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

02TransAm/Batmobile
Do you take the spoiler off to take care of the area under on the hatch? Does anyone? I have been looking at mine and it looks like it could use some work. I'm not sure you could do anything without taking the spoiler off. Just wondering.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Darkreign2049
02TransAm/Batmobile
Do you take the spoiler off to take care of the area under on the hatch? Does anyone? I have been looking at mine and it looks like it could use some work. I'm not sure you could do anything without taking the spoiler off. Just wondering.
No, I haven't taken off a spoiler before and it's funny you mentioned it because Jonas' thought about doing it as well.

Anyone who owns a Trans Am knows it is difficult cleaning around there and with a machine, due to it's bulky size, makes it impossible to work on. If you do decide to take yours off, post some pics. I am really interested to see how that goes.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Well I should be getting my PC in the next week or two(birthday present). I was thinking of trying the Adam's stuff to see how that works. I have never done any of this before so I am open to suggestions because I am a complete newb. So it may be a month or so before I get to it.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Phantomzer0 was next before you, but he has not answered his PM. Got any pics of the swirling by chance?
Yah I will post some up 2morrow..If he does not respond soon, then i am free all day 2morrow. I could bring the car too you 2morrow.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by STREET99
Yah I will post some up 2morrow..If he does not respond soon, then i am free all day 2morrow. I could bring the car too you 2morrow.
I had recieved a PM saying he is interested in 2 weeks time as he is busy currently. I got to make sure if I could work on your car Thursday/Friday. I'll post up later as I found out for sure what the rest of my week looks like.

-James
Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

I was sorta bummed because you didn't seem so happy with the work?

Wow, you offered to do this guy a favor and not charge him, and he's not happy? Gotta love those guys lol....

I got confirmation from Steve Pasztor that the M105 and purple pad is a safe combo to use on more deeper and stubborn scratches. This same combo worked out those two deeper scratches out of the spoiler pretty well. If you want to try this out, that's cool with me.
Almost any combo on a random orbital is safe! Just as long as you keep the machine moving. Once you get into the rotary work, will you need to be extra careful!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

I had recieved a PM saying he is interested in 2 weeks time as he is busy currently. I got to make sure if I could work on your car Thursday/Friday. I'll post up later as I found out for sure what the rest of my week looks like.

-James
Sounds good..
Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry I haven't posted up pics. I was hoping to start a portfolio of my work but Jonas' car was real finicky with the camera and even under the Halogen lights, it was hard to capture the swirling on camera.

Again, I was kinda bummed it wasn't in worse condition so the before-and-after pictures would be more dramatic. Jonas took some shots of the car from a distance so it wouldn't be a good reference as far as the "transformation" of the vehicle's paint.

Jonas' car did have some more deeper isolated scratches that were concentrated on the hood. It is an aftermarket hood and was repainted poorly. His sail panels, CETA, and side mirrors were painted very well and it was a shock when he told me the hood was painted by the same people. The hood lacked depth, (I'm guessing from a thin coat of clear) and while it didn't have the infamous "orange peel" it was somewhat "wavy" - the best way to describe it. So for some reason, the rest of the car, even the sails, and side mirrors cleaned up nicely 'cept for the hood.

I'm glad to hear you say it turned out "pretty damn good". I was sorta bummed because you didn't seem so happy with the work? I'm not sure if it was due to the lug nuts being loose but I assure you I didn't loosen them. Aside from the passenger wheel that was "siezed" and we put back on, in which I apologize for not over-tightening them, it was very odd to me that the rest of the wheel's lug nuts weren't tight.

My car was very finicky with the lights for some odd reason.. One angle yoiu see some scratches, another angle they disappeared

I did take a coiple close up James of the mirror and sail panel and maybe the door in the direct sunlight

Yeah as you saw, my sail panle and mirrors came out nice and clear with a lot of depth.. the hood not so much The same company did everything too.. Maybe different painters did the hood vs the sail panel and mirrors????

I thought it came out great... When did I seemed bummed about it? When we took it to the parking lot in DIRECT mid-day sun, there was NO scrathes that I could see... that makes me happy!

The lugs being loose had nothing to do with it.. I knew the pass side front was loose. But the the othere were loose prolly from heating up and cooling down... That's no biggie

Post up the pics.. Or at least email me the pics so I can have them and I will post them up

torchd02ta@comcast.net
Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Do not want to hijack the thread, but if you guys need detailing tools, I have a pretty much brand new Meguairs G110 polisher and a few softbuff pads new still. I dont have time to do any detailing right now really.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh ok. My bad, I knew you were in a hurry because you had plans that night so maybe I was picking up some of that anxiousness and misinterpreting as something else.

I was thinking about purchasing a different tool CapoWS6. Jus' not sure what to step up to yet.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Well I read up alot about detailing stuff but dont have a ton of experience with machines. I have always wanted to get into a detail buisness. I bought the G110 to polish out a few cars but I never used it more than testing a few panels. If you are going to be staying with a random orbital I would say go with a griots or flex. I mainly use hand methods on my cars but I rarely drive my trans am anyway so its garaged kept. I just use a simple quality wax and not worried about protection on it. Also I dont show the car so minor swirls or marks that are seen under halogens or etc.... dont bother me at all. It will be 11 years old next year and I have 24k miles on it. Next month I am going to be doing a full hand detail on it.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh ok. My bad, I knew you were in a hurry because you had plans that night so maybe I was picking up some of that anxiousness and misinterpreting as something else.

I was thinking about purchasing a different tool CapoWS6. Jus' not sure what to step up to yet.
email me the pics James and I will put them up for you
Old 08-26-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

I would step up to a rotary now that you have practice with a random orbital. Random orbitals correct paint ok, but rotaries work so much faster. Granted they are mroe dangerous to use, if you know how to run one...it will cut your time down considerably.

Quick Reply: TORCHD 02 TA's Detail