Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My custom interior GTO wanabe thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second attempt looks pretty good.

Id like to know what the sweed is talking about...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

didn't get anything worth posting about done today, might go do some stuff later tonight.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay7199
didn't get anything worth posting about done today, might go do some stuff later tonight.
Hurry up, I am curious to see what you come up with. Second attempt looks way better.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

has potential...

but do you have patience?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i miss haveing my switches in the console like my 3rdgens did i have been thinking about that i got a console cover that i am going to paint i might have to try that
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, you should have waited until she had the GTO for awhile... My wife has one and that material is a dust, lint, general **** magnet. Hard to keep looking good, easy to nick and tear

At least you're doing something different though so props for that
Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 AM
TECH Resident

Hope the console turns out like the pillar. Didn't like the pillar at first wasn't sure it could be pulled off but looks good hopefully the consol does the same. I had a 02 Camaro and I hated how cheap the switches felt seein how's your goin through all the trouble of moving the switch maybe you could try a different switch. I really like the ones in my Silverado. $.02
Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
looks like poop, interior fail thread

LMAO! Aaagreeed!

Last edited by fbodygirl7931; 08-26-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you dont like it, you also dont have to post in his thread.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
If you dont like it, you also dont have to post in his thread.
I didnt ask for your opinion on the matter, but thanks. My response is just that, an opinion, hes capable of better work. Im entitled to mine just as you are entitled to yours...so go pick on one of the many others that said it looks like ****, maybe they wont fight back.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fbodygirl7931
I didnt ask for your opinion on the matter, but thanks. My response is just that, an opinion, hes capable of better work. Im entitled to mine just as you are entitled to yours...so go pick on one of the many others that said it looks like ****, maybe they wont fight back.
Did I ******* quote you? No I did not, so take your attitude someplace else. The OP didn't ask for your God damn opinion on the quality of his work. And there are more constructive and positive ways to state that you think hes capable of better work. So you can take your Negative, Bi Polar, Cocky 14yo Attitude and go bother some other people.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Second attempt looks pretty good.

Id like to know what the sweed is talking about...
First page, last series of pictures , first picture- I hope it is jay7199 GF feet and not his wearing nailpolish........
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Did I ******* quote you? No I did not, so take your attitude someplace else. The OP didn't ask for your God damn opinion on the quality of his work. And there are more constructive and positive ways to state that you think hes capable of better work. So you can take your Negative, Bi Polar, Cocky 14yo Attitude and go bother some other people.
Did I ******* say you quoted me? No, I did not. I was simply making a statement that there were plenty of other people who stated their opinion of it looking like **** and you didnt feel it necessary to jump down their ******* throats did you? Funny, I thought the whole purpose of starting a thread based on custom work you're doing would be to get the opinions of others, but I guess thats just my 14 yo attitude at work. I didnt do or say anything to you personally, so pull Jays dick out of your mouth and leave me the **** alone.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fbodygirl7931
Did I ******* say you quoted me? No, I did not. I was simply making a statement that there were plenty of other people who stated their opinion of it looking like **** and you didnt feel it necessary to jump down their ******* throats did you? Funny, I thought the whole purpose of starting a thread based on custom work you're doing would be to get the opinions of others, but I guess thats just my 14 yo attitude at work. I didnt do or say anything to you personally, so pull Jays dick out of your mouth and leave me the **** alone.
Well you obviously thought the attack was directed at you and it wasn't. The reason I didn't quote anyone was because it wasn't directed at any particular person. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. So you can take the post however you want. I'm done with childish bickering.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vikingramair
First page, last series of pictures , first picture- I hope it is jay7199 GF feet and not his wearing nailpolish........
Some people just have shiny toe nails, lol it is probably glare from the lights reflecting of his toe nails.........at least I hope
Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your going to go through all the trouble of relocating window switches, I would at least use a pair that lit up or did something different. Way to plain jane for me.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Im not saying this to be a dick , Im trying to offer help from expirience . That 3M contact glue you used is possibly the worst glue on the market for automotive interiors . It will lose adhesion once it starts seeing summer heat .

This is really the only contact cement out of a spray can that I've found is good enough for automotive interior use .

Also , the A-pillars are made of Polypropylene plastic . Which is a very low surface energy plastic with horrible adhesion properties with any glue but a polypropylene glue like 3M dp8005( which isnt suited for what your doing) . So in light of that for future reference you have to go out your way if you want a long lasting bond , make sure you clean the part with soap and water , rinse good and air dry . Then sand with 80 paper to roughen the surface , then apply a adhesion promoter ...all before applying the glue . You need alll the help you can get bonding to polypropylene for any hope of it lasting a long time

GL with your project . The knit material is amazingly hard to get wrapped around the difficult curves by the dash area and the flat knit material is not stetchy at all . I wrapped a couple a-pillars in this stuff and dont really wanna ever do it again
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in agreement with LT4vert about the adhesive. I'm been lurking all over the internet when I used to do my little projects and I've heard some good things about that particular aerosol. However, another company that I've read that has had very good results is DAP.

Their two main products that are being used in these applications are the DAP Original Contact Cement (brush on application) and their Landau Top & Trim High Heat Resistant Contact Cement (uses a spray gun). That Landau seems to be a more resilient adhesive because of it's high heat resistance.

I have yet to use either of these but I've read some positive reviews and plan on using one of them when I start my projects back up. On another note, the updated pics look so much better!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stop saying interesting... everyone. Just say awful
Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

To note , the red original DAP pic you posted is also spray grade . DAP only sells the high heat rated brush grade cement in a 5 gallon pail unfortunately . The Top and trim 1 gallon is the best , but unfortunately if your not willing to spray it thru a gun , brushing it on takes away the effectiveness of it as it has about the consistency of water so its sprayable . Brush grade is thicker . Getting contact cement to work correctly and last like it should has everything to so with how its applied , not too much or too little is applied , and proper set up time before bonding .

Quick Reply: My custom interior GTO wanabe thread